TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Oct-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
klahmers

Blacksburg, VA

I am going to try to cut the cord again. This is my map. It seems that I get better signal 5 ft off the ground than higher. Not sure why that is.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038abe5a17ce0

I seem to remember WSET on the a previous map but ABC doesn't seem to be close.

Thoughts for antenna on this apparently complex map?

Thanks
klahmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2018, 1:20 PM   #2
JoeAZ

Since you have low band VHF for PBS, high band VHF for ABC and the rest use UHF, you will need an antenna like the Channel Master CM 3018.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-...3018/203763043 You will want to stay as far away as
possible from trees and keep your cable, RG6, run as short as possible, Keep it simple, especially at first.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2018, 1:21 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello, klahmers

For reference, I see you have a previous thread:
Blacksburg,VA area recommendations
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14968

Thank you for the signal report.

What antenna are you using and where is it located?
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2018, 1:49 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
I seem to remember WSET on the a previous map but ABC doesn't seem to be close.

Thoughts for antenna on this apparently complex map?
WSET is still there, but it doesn't show on the TVFool report because they are using a defective database to generate reports.

A report from rabbitears.info shows WSET:

It is complex because your desired channels are on all three TV bands, in different directions, and have hills in the signal paths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klahmersTVFreport.JPG (135.5 KB, 1546 views)
File Type: jpg klahmersTVFreportRE.JPG (139.0 KB, 1560 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-Oct-2018 at 1:52 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2018, 2:12 PM   #5
klahmers

Thanks for the replies and linking the old thread.

As in the past I am still using an RCA 1450. I got it just to prove to myself that I would be able to get some signal over the air which I did. I get WBRA(PBS) along with Ion and Fox.

My goal would be to get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS. We have satellite for internet, so streaming will be marginal but possible to supplement if we can't pull this off. I am blessed with open pasture and a south facing slope so that we have relatively clear site lines to 143, but there are trees 100 yards to the east which may be a problem for WSET. I may bite bullet, invest in an outdoor antenna and see what I can get. Will it be likely that I can get signal from 143 and 90 off the same antenna?

Should it be a something like the DB4e or would it require a bigger directional antenna.

I will focus on rabbitears since I that there was something closer than 108 miles.

Thanks again.

Last edited by klahmers; 2-Oct-2018 at 3:03 PM.
Old 2-Oct-2018, 5:26 PM   #6
jrgagne99

I would get a 3-way combo (VHF-lo, VHF-hi, UHF) such as the HD8200XL point it at 90deg to get your ABC on 13 (WSET). Since PBS is a relatively strong signal, it should be able to receive it also. Hopefully it will also pull in the UHF stations at 143. If not, cheat the antenna toward 143 as far as you can while still getting ABC. If you can't split the difference to pull in the UHF channels, you could add a separate 8-bay (DB8e or HDB8X) or yagi (91XG or HDB91X) for UHF, and combine it using a UVSJ-pre-amp (Juice or RCA-TVPRAMP1R). The band selectivity of the preamp should filter out the UHF being received by the 8200 and only incorporate the UHF signal from the dedicated UHF antenna.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
klahmers

So I should buy an 11’ antenna?
I was hoping for something a little less prominent.
Old 3-Oct-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
jrgagne99

That depends on how badly you want PBS on real Ch 3. There is a chance that 3 would come in on the VHF-hi elements of a smaller antenna such as the MCM-2476 aimed at WSET. Then you would need a separate UHF antenna for the rest of the channels at 143deg, as well as a UVSJ and maybe an amplifier. The Juice and RCA-TVPRAMP1R do both.

A roughly equivalent single-antenna solution might be the Winegard 7494P or 7498P, which has VHF-hi and UHF. The 7498 has more gain. Again, no guarantees on Ch 3 though, and you wouldn't get to aim both sets of elements at their intended locations , you'd need to split the difference.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2018, 4:02 PM   #9
klahmers

Thanks for the information. I start looking around.
Old 14-Dec-2022, 11:21 PM   #10
klahmers

It has been 4 years. I have a channelmaster in the attic connected in amplified to a Tablo duo. This is my map:
https://www.rabbitears.info/s/840844

I get 15, 7, 10, 24, 27, and 38 which are all at about 140 but I want to get WSET. If I move to 90 I don?t get it and I lose the others. Any suggestions?
Old 15-Dec-2022, 1:09 AM   #11
OTAFAN

Hi klahmers:

What model Channel Master are you using? Also, the stations you can watch are "Fair" reception and the one you're trying to get is, "Poor," according to your rabbitears report. Even though you're not far from your towers, your attic cuts down the signals somewhat as well, depending on the roofing and wall materials.

You might want to move your antenna a little at a time, more in the direction you're seeking, to see if you can retain your current signals and perhaps pick up WSET. This is where science and luck come into play, or trial and error. It can be a bit time consuming and frustrating. But it might grab you that station, fingers crossed.

I'm not a Tech, just an over the air enthusiast and cheerleader for the forum.

However, we have some outstanding Techs here like Tim from Georgia, Bobsgarage and now that Tower Guy, (many years in the industry) has checked back in, hopefully they'll chime in with their years of experience. (I'm sure I've missed a few others, as well).

Please let the forum know how it turns out for you. It would be helpful to those seeking similar advice.

All the best.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 15-Dec-2022 at 1:21 AM.
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2022, 11:08 PM   #12
Tim

As OTAFAN mentioned, it would be helpful to know which Channel Master antenna you are using.

From looking at your signal report it looks like there are a couple of big obstacles between you and that Lynchburg station. (You can click on the 'Transmitter Distance' result to see a terrain map).

IF there is enough TV signal refracting off those peaks, you would probably still need a dedicated VHF-Hi antenna to have any chance of receiving that station. Something like the Stellar Labs 30-2475 or equivalent. Even then you might have problems with multi-path reflections causing reception problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.5 KB, 262 views)