TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Mar-2016, 6:15 PM   #41
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Your points are well stated, realistic, and understood. Thank you for taking the time to explain your viewpoint.

I still don't know what to tell someone with strong local FM transmitters other than you are SOL, don't aim a VHF antenna that way, use a HLSJ (if there are any left), use a UVSJ to limit your reception to UHF, forget about DX from other DMAs, etc.

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Mar-2016 at 6:22 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2016, 6:22 PM   #42
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Your points are well stated, realistic, and understood. Thank you for taking the time to explain your viewpoint.

I still don't know what to tell someone with strong local FM transmitters other than you are SOL, don't aim a VHF antenna that way, use a UVSJ to limit your reception to UHF, etc.
How strong usually effects the signal when a preamp like the Juice is used? I ended up removing my filters for the FM splitter which I felt helped a little on my VHF-hi channels a touch signal strength wise. Then today I removed it all together. When I used the AD-PA preamp I needed them but when I replaced it with the AD-Juice (Thanks ADTech) I did not need to attenuate the FM signals anymore.
The 2 FM station are 3.2 miles from my home and have a RX(dbm) of -18.9 and -24.4.

Last edited by shoman94; 7-Mar-2016 at 6:33 PM.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2016, 9:55 PM   #43
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
How strong usually effects the signal when a preamp like the Juice is used?
The juice is an excellent design that is highly resistant to overload. It is less likely to need an FM filter than most other preamps.

Thank you for your test results; I will need that information to help others.

I'm wondering how it would do with this FM report with FM signals about 30 dB stronger than yours:

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...9&d=1457391314

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaaaflesTVF FM est.JPG (116.7 KB, 1499 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Mar-2016 at 10:01 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2016, 10:44 PM   #44
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The juice is an excellent design that is highly resistant to overload. It is less likely to need an FM filter than most other preamps.

Thank you for your test results; I will need that information to help others.

I'm wondering how it would do with this FM report with FM signals about 30 dB stronger than yours:
Wow! Talk about being right next door!
Old 11-Mar-2016, 12:17 PM   #45
Blackbeen

A bit of an update, since my last post the CPA-19 started to sputter work again as it did before the total burn out (?) i.e. in the 220 magnetic sweet spot I'm able to put in 27 channels, oddly WHTV Jackson MI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHTV very clearly most times of the day which boggles my mind due to the antenna direction, station power/location, totally freakish when ch 7 is totally out of the picture.
So anyhow I decided this was enough to get me by so I passed on the Televes but now Solid Signal has the HDB91X http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...source=inhouse
on sale for 35$, being that its such a low cost & could use it conceivably at my future home I thought I'd grab it & put it on a tripod inside the room by the outside jmount since it won't fit on it due the the dimensions. I know it will get questionable results inside but it will eventually get an outdoor mount when I move. I might connect a A/B switch to toggle the present antenna since it pulls in the locals pretty well.
Blackbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2016, 4:41 PM   #46
shoman94

Funny how the design and naming look so familiar on the solid signal antennas!
Old 11-Mar-2016, 5:14 PM   #47
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Funny how the design and naming look so familiar on the solid signal antennas!
The Antennas Direct 91XG seems like a slightly better version of the same design but at less than half the price I had a hard time not passing on the HDB91X.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 11-Mar-2016 at 5:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9-May-2016, 2:54 PM   #48
Blackbeen

Well the preamp finally burned off for good it seems & I can hardly pull close range local channels from the roof, I get more from the indoor HDB91X, but in a brick building its not great, as much as I hate to buy another antenna, that I ultimately won't use when I move, I've been considering getting a HDB4X, that is currently on sale at Solid Signal $25, as a quick fix, to put on the northbound wall Jmount that I originally used before I moved the db4e to the roof. With the pole I bought for HDB91X I think I could hoist it above the roof gutter. I've been wondering how the HDB4X compares to the db4e since the design is very similar but it only quotes a 50 mile range to the db4e's 60+, I guess for $25 I can gamble, at worst I could stabilize the local channels for the short run, not even being able to do that is pretty annoying.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 9-May-2016 at 2:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-May-2016, 7:14 PM   #49
Blackbeen

The HDB4X is definitely not equivalent to the db4e, so the 50 vs. 65+ miles range is pretty accurate & nothing beyond that, on the plus side I don't seem to have FM breakup issue with WTOL 11 that I had with the db4e before adding a line filter, but I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last 5 years that resolved this outside of the antenna. Regardless the local 21 are stabilized with this on the Jmount, I was hoping to reach the stronger Detroit channels but that's not going to happen with the HDB4X.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 12-May-2016 at 7:17 PM. Reason: typo