TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Nov-2013, 2:11 PM   #1
bytor

antenna Recommendation for NCW area

First off I want to say hello and what a great forum. Lots of info.

I have cut the cable so to speak and am in the process of setting up to receive OTA reception.

I am in the North Central Washington area.

Somebody recommended to me Denny's HD Stacker antenna and that is what I have at the moment. Denny's actually recommended the HD stacker also which I am able to send back if needed, I may have gotten ahead of myself here.

Will I need amplifier, ect, cable run would be about 100ft and signal is going to one TV

Thanks.

Here is the TV fool report
[IMG][/IMG]
bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2013, 7:31 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

After looking things over, I think you'll want to consider using more than one antenna. Some of the major networks appear to be available only on Low-VHF channels.

KXLY - ABC is rebroadcast on real CH-5 from the Cashmere/Leavenworth area
KHQ - NBC is rebroadcast on real CH-3 from the Cashmere/Leavenworth area

The Denny Stacker lacks support for real CH-2 through CH-6. I'd go big, with a Winegard HD7084. It's L-VHF gain is needed in this case, pointed toward Cashmere/Leavenworth, 293° per a compass. Connect this antenna to the Low port of a H/LSJ http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-%28zhlsj-1%29

The, point an Antennacraft Y5713 at 14° per a compass. Connect this antenna to the High port of the H/LSJ

Finally, face an Antennas Direct DB4e at 150°. Connect this antenna to the UHF port of a UHF/VHF signal combiner. Connect the output of the H/LSJ to the VHF port of the UHF/VHF signal combiner (Radio Shack or Antennas Direct http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B008PBTPN4

The output of the UHF/VHF combiner feeds the TV(s).

For a single TV installation, try this with no amplifier... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2013, 7:14 PM   #3
bytor

Thanks GroundUrmast!

Since I had the HD stacker here I decided to install it using a wineguard gable mount and a 10 ft mast just to see "what" channels I could get.
I aimed the antenna using the signal meter on the Tivoand ended up at about 32 degree magnetic north

If I think I can get more channels (with the guide data from tribune media) I will go your route GroundUrmast.

All the channels I do get are 2 dash(2-1) one ect, would this be the same as 2 point one(2.1)?
Also the scan did pick up a bunch of higher listed channels 31,49,51 and 63, these all have guide data (TIVO HD) but even after picking them up on scan there was no signal. Will your suggestion fix this GroundUrmast?

Here is usable channels I got after channel scan using my TivoHD.
a lot of duplicates with no guide data.

CBS/2-1, KREM-DT Frequency 12, signal strength 89 DT? DIGITAL??
CBS/2-1, KREM-DT Frequency 51, signal strength 91

ABC/4-1, KXLY-DT Frequency 12, signal strength 89
ABC/4-1, KXLY-DT Frequency 51, signal strength 90

NBC/6-1, KHQ-DT Frequency 12, signal strength 88
NBC/6-1, KHQ-DT Frequency 51, signal strength 88

PBS/7-1, KSPS-DT Frequency 10, signal strength 69
PBS/7-1, KSPS-DT Frequency 16, signal strength 77
PBS/7-1, KSPS-HD Frequency 49, signal strength 77 HD? High Def?
PBS/7-2, KSPS-WO Frequency 49, signal strength 77 WO?
PBS/7-3, KSPS-CR Frequency 49, signal strength 77 CR?

FOX/13-1 K14BFD Frequency 14, signal strength 89

???/28-1, KAYU-DT Frequency 12, signal strength 88
???/28-1, KAYU-DT Frequency 51, signal strength 91

47-1, KWCC-LD Frequency 10, signal strength 70 Local Channel Guide
47-1, KWCC-LD Frequency 16, signal strength 77
47-2, KWCC-LD Frequency 10, signal strength 69
47-1, KWCC-LD Frequency 16, signal strength 78 Local Channel Guide

47-3 TVW, Frequency 10, signal strength 69 Local
47-3 TVW, Frequency 16, signal strength 77 Loca
l

Last edited by bytor; 1-Dec-2013 at 7:22 PM.
Old 4-Dec-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I don't have local knowledge of the Wenatchee market so I'm using the information from http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=K16HP#station to try to understand what's available on each of the low power translators in your area.

Your report clearly shows that the normally comprehensive data at rabbitears.info is less than fully complete for this market.

I'd say you're doing quite well. But if you feel inclined, you may want to aim your existing antenna at each transmitter shown on your report then run another scan to see if there are any other signals of interest to you.

Old 5-Dec-2013, 1:21 AM   #5
bytor

I will do that.

Thanks again
Old 21-Dec-2013, 6:41 PM   #6
bytor

Update

I have aimed my antenna (Denny's HD stacker) in pretty much every direction and didn't loose any signals, picked up some additional stations in channel scan but only actually was able to receive Channel 25. only real thing that was noticed was reception of some channels was a little weaker in some direction. Still in process of finding sweet spot. Seems the upper channels, (real channels?) are what I am not able to receive with this set up. I would really like to get those if possible since those have channel guide data.

Now, after my results I got with the HD stacker would it be advisable to to loose the HD stacker and go with what was suggested earlier by GroundUrmast or keep the stacker and add another Antenna to that?

Still trying to wrap my head around this OTA stuff. Learning alot thanks to everyone here.
Old 21-Dec-2013, 9:50 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
------
Tvfool lists the REAL Channel that is transmitted and received.

Tvfool also lists the , virtual number - virtual channel number.

The virtual number , aka , virtual channel number , are not real , and are not real even if it is same as the REAL Channel.

The virtual number is the Legacy Analog Channel.

Many and not all , Tv stations changed to a new channel when change from Analog transmission and reception , to , Digital transmission and reception.

The Tv station kept the old Analog channel number and displays the old Analog number , even though , the Tv station is now transmitting on a different channel.

So why would a Tv station keep the old number?? You ask.

Reason and not the only reason is , Channel Branding.

The number is what the Tv station in the past has been known as so the Tv station keeps the old number , Legacy number, even though the Tv station may or may not be transmitting on a different channel.

The REAL Channel is what is transmitted and received and that is what antennas are selected for , to receive the REAL Channels.

I see that the provided tvfool report is missing the virtual numbers and the Networks.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Dec-2013 at 3:31 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-Dec-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Agreeing with teleview, the virtual channel numbers are often the only information a TV will display to you. If your TV is like most, you don't have a reliable means of knowing the real channel being received when there is more than one real channel carrying the same program feed.

A tuner such as the SiliconDust HDHR would give you both the real and virtual channel number, I find it's a valuable test tool as well as a good tuner. I'm not certain it's worth the $60 to $80 to you though. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

Old 22-Dec-2013, 4:09 PM   #9
bytor

Thank you for the clarification on "real/virtual" channels.

I may go with the silicondust HDHR if it would help me get those channels with the actual program info. As it is right now only FOX has the program/channel guide info and I have been in touch with TIVO to try and resolve this. They have said with OTA it is as long as a 5 month process to get channel data straightened out. its been about 5 months.

Any how to address my Question would going with the 3 antenna's help me more then what I am picking up now? I am getting all the networks. Not getting CW.
Old 22-Dec-2013, 4:29 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

If you have not seen a signal from a CW affiliate during your 'sweep' with the stacker, I doubt you'll find it with another antenna, unless it's on a real channel in the range of CH-2 to CH-6. I would inquire locally, if there is a CW affiliate on the air, what's the call sign of the transmitter? If we have a call sign to work with, we can determine if it's possible for you to receive it.

Just to be sure you understand, the HDHR is dependent on your computer for control and display. It needs a wired Ethernet connection in order to communicate with your computer, it does not have wireless capability built in. I find it easy to use, but I'm sure someone who wants to simply turn a TV on and flip channels would not necessarily share my opinion. I'd be happy to help you through the initial learning curve if you have any questions.