TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Dec-2013, 3:58 PM   #1
zeahund

Channel 9 help - Firestone CO

My setup is a new Samsung 50F6300 with a Terk FDTV2A antenna. I can get every channel that I need but Channel 9. I see this is a common issue in my area (from the forums). Talked to the techs at Best Buy and they recommended a different antenna (Clearstream Micron XG) This worked if you held the antenna above you head in the middle of the living room, not very practical. It is going back and I am looking at an outdoor antenna. Any recommendations?

My Fool report is here - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae183cbe00f5

I had the same antenna that worked for a year in the same spot on a Vizio TV (had to replace as the HDMI ports went out one by one). I have come to understand the difference in the tuners in the various brands of TV's but am having a hard time understanding why the most popular station in Denver is so hard to pick up.

Thanks
zeahund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2013, 5:16 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The difficulty with channel 9, as well as 7 & 12 in the Denver area, is rooted in those station's decisions to remain on VHF channels as digital broadcasters. VHF reception has certain disadvantages, especially for an indoor antenna user. These include lower power levels (poorer building penetration), longer wavelengths (reception elements must be physically longer), and elevated interior background electrical noise levels. Ironically, it's sometimes the TV set itself that creates the electrical noise that causes the problems!

The ClearStream 2V, also available at Best Buy, would be our recommended antenna for your area, whether indoors or outdoors. Indoor usage requires a tolerance for its physical size (the VHF elements for channels 7-13 are almost 36" tip to tip) plus some creativity for mounting it indoors.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2013, 5:52 PM   #3
zeahund

Thank you will go exchange the antenna they recommended and give the Clearstream a try. As for tolerance, mine is pretty high at this point!
Old 29-Dec-2013, 6:08 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
The following information are main situation/problems and not the only situation/problems with Tv reception.

-----------

The Current Tv Channels that are being Transmitted and Received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

-----------

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

Are effected in a Negative Way by natural interference , sun shine , atmospheric static , lightning.

And human made interference , electronic and electric.

------------

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

Are effected in a Negative Way by , Multi-Path Reflections Tv signals bouncing all around. Digital Tv tuner computers can correct multi-path up to a certain point and then the multi-path is , To Much.

Channels 7 and 9 are effected more by multi-path then the other VHF high band channels.

Using a omnidirectional antenna such as and not limited to the FDTV2A , receives multi-path from all directions , receiving multi-path from all directions is , Not Good.

To reduce the reception of multi-path , use a directional antenna that receives better in the the forward direction and less at other directions to the directional antenna.

The VHF high band channels , 7 thru 13 , are also effected in a Negative Way by human made electronic and electric interference.

-------------

UHF channels 14 thru 51.

Are effected in a Negative Way by Signal Attenuation , meaning Absorbing and Blocking reception. And also multi-path reflections.

-------------

As always , the inside of buildings and attics , increase multi-path reflections bouncing all around and absorb and block Tv signal reception.

And human made electronic and electric noise is greater inside of buildings and attics.

-------------

Recommend install a directional antenna aimed at KUSA-DT channel 9.

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South West , West , North West , South , South East.

Install a AntennaCraft, HBU11 antenna.

Or a ANT751 antenna.

Aimed at about 199 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

As always , starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can be adjusted for the best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

------------

The Tv signal strengths are strong at your reception location , a antenna system amplifier is not required.

-----------

Also Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.antennacraft.net.

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

Home Depot or Lowes can have the ANT751 antenna in stock in the store , no matter what the Home Depot and Lowes web sites say.

Last edited by teleview; 31-Dec-2013 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 30-Dec-2013, 1:29 PM   #5
zeahund

Cool

Thank you for the further clarification. After looking at the Clearstream in person I decided that my tolerance was not that high for an indoor installation! Sorry! So am back to fiddling with the Terk, I did get channel 9 in but lost 12 which I can live with. Moved the antenna DOWN on the wall ( I have 20 ft ceilings) and it comes in just fine! Thanks

Now working on the 2nd TV upstairs which again was working fine till I started moving TV's around.
Old 31-Dec-2013, 7:42 PM   #6
zeahund

Thumbs up Thank you

I want to thank the 2 posters who helped me understand my problems. After reading more posts and deciding that my current antenna should work since it did before! I sat down and methodically went through the posts. I moved the antenna's down and finally came to the perfect spot. It has been 2 days now that both TV's are pulling in all the channels I want!

Thanks again for the time and effort you put into TV Fool!