TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jan-2015, 5:38 PM   #1
Jdruding

Any options left?

Hi all,

I posted here a little over a year ago and got some great advice, all of which I took, where I could. (eliminated wiring, splitters, amplifier, as issues) So, here is where i'm at: I have an Antenna’s Direct DB4e, a C2V reflector and an amplifier. My tuner is a TiVo Premiere. My antenna is outside, above the roofline, oriented in the right direction. Here is my TVFool info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aef16aa5bafe

I still occasionally get break ups, particularly on Fox 29. Based on all of your help, i have concluded that my problem is a wall of mature (60ft tall) trees, about 50 ft away. There is no way i can get the antenna any higher and the trees aren't going anywhere.

So, do I have any options remaining? Could I upgrade my antenna? If so, what what antenna would you recommend that is better than what i have? Any other suggestions?
Jdruding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2015, 5:52 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your link to your TVF plot is corrupted.

Bottom line answer to your question is "Probably not". You can try an 8-bay, should one be appropriate for your locale, but its really a "Hail Mary" proposition. You could also try a second antenna at a different mounting location and, using a A-B switch, see if you can find a combination that allows one of the antennas to work better than the other during varying signal conditions.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Tim

Someone that lives near me reports that they tilted the front of their antenna up about 5 degrees and gets better results in a similar situation. Don't know how easy it would be to try with your style of antenna...he has one of the Yagi type antennas.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2015, 7:28 AM   #4
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdruding View Post
Hi all,

I posted here a little over a year ago and got some great advice, all of which I took, where I could. (eliminated wiring, splitters, amplifier, as issues) So, here is where i'm at: I have an Antenna’s Direct DB4e, a C2V reflector and an amplifier. My tuner is a TiVo Premiere. My antenna is outside, above the roofline, oriented in the right direction. Here is my TVFool info:

I still occasionally get break ups, particularly on Fox 29. Based on all of your help, i have concluded that my problem is a wall of mature (60ft tall) trees, about 50 ft away. There is no way i can get the antenna any higher and the trees aren't going anywhere.

So, do I have any options remaining? Could I upgrade my antenna? If so, what what antenna would you recommend that is better than what i have? Any other suggestions?
Repaired TV Fool link:

If you can't go any higher, try lower, or a different location altogether.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myers View Post

If you can't go any higher, try lower, or a different location altogether.
Good advice as higher isn't always better.

How did you aim the antenna? I suggest first aiming with a compass & then fine tuning using the signal strength meter.

Do you have the antennas close to each other or anything else?

Any nearby airport(s)?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
No static at all

Just read over some of your older posts which addressed some of my earlier questions.

Can you possibly take a pic of your set-up & post it? Just trying to visualize the relationship of the 2 antennas & how/where they are mounted.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Jake V

I'll second wanting to see a photo from the antenna facing 311 degrees towards the horizon.

I understand trees, but your signal strength is good and I'm kind of surprised that you aren't doing better with a DB4e. What is your signal strength on the affected channels? Have you tried it without the amplifier? And you've double-checked all your connections?

If this were me, as an experiment I'd take that antenna (or buy a cheap one at Walmart), connect it to a hundred feet of new coax, run the cord out the window and walk around the yard on the northwest side of the house and see if you can find a sweet spot. It might be you can have the antenna look under the trees. Or, if the trees are on your property and there is clear view LOS from the far side of the trees, you might consider a tree mount.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote