TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Oct-2013, 2:20 AM   #1
angelo

Assistance with equipment selection

I would like to get as many channels as possible I'm kind of in a depression.
Fool report is here
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeec5f9e537d

I bought a Clearstream 2V and a Titan 2 I'd be happy if I could get reception for 2 TVs. I am within the return window
I have it mounted on my old satellite mount with 2 metal (tent) poles approximately 12 ft off the ground. I can get CBS and ABC fairly strong.
I am planning on mounting on chimney which is about 30 ft off the ground.
I don't mind spending a few bucks since I'm no longer paying Direc .....
Rotor?
Thanks for the help
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 4:52 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd suggest an Antennas Direct DB8e + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R.

Mount with a clear view to the south, free of obstructions such as trees or nearby buildings. Start with the DB8e facing about 140° (mag) and the Y10713 pointing at about 165° (mag). The TVPRAMP1R has separate inputs for UHF and VHF.

If you want to try for the LA signals, I would build a separate system rather than using a rotator. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 6:16 AM   #3
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

I agree with Gum's recommendation.

Here are chimney antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html

Meausre around the chimney and use a ,

ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com or buy from , www.ronard.com .

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.ronard.com
Old 19-Oct-2013, 9:38 PM   #4
angelo

Thank you very much. I guess I'll return them and start again.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 3:30 AM   #5
angelo

Out of curiosity how come you would go with the RCA pre amp over the others?
SHould I do the same setup for L A stations?
Old 22-Oct-2013, 4:56 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The RCA has proven to be tolerant of strong signals and comes pretty close to the manufacture's published noise spec. It's inexpensive and has inputs for separate UHF and VHF antennas plus a built-in FM trap (filter).

It's only niggly that I've heard of is that a few folks have had units with defective switches (for selecting single or dual antenna and/or FM trap setting).

Kudos to Pete Higgins for this review: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13530

Old 25-Oct-2013, 1:58 AM   #7
angelo

Help with DB8E and TVPRAMP1R

I bought both items and am getting nothing after scanning. I understand it's a combo pre=amp but does that mean that the DB8 cannot work on it's own.
Most amps are powered next to the antenna this one is powered away/next to the tv itself? Preamp instructions are freaking vague and there is no phone tech support. THis is supposed to be one of the top antennae. Should I buy a different amp? This forum is my only hope!!! Definitely not plug and play!!
Thanks
Old 25-Oct-2013, 2:17 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Most amps are powered next to the antenna...
That's not true with preamplifiers in my experience.

The preamp mounts close to the antenna. The power supply is designed to mount inside the building, protected from the elements. Power is sent up the coax to the actual preamplifier. Without power, no signal will pass through the amplifier.

Because the goal is to use a separate UHF and VHF antenna, you should have moved the VHF/UHF switch (on the outdoor amplifier unit, under a small cover on the bottom of the unit) to the 'SEPARATE' position. The FM trap switch is not critical, but should be set to 'ON' in most cases. (Even without an antenna connected to the VHF port, you should be able to get signal from the UHF antenna through the amplifier.)

Is the DB8e facing about 140°?

How high is the DB8e above ground?

Are there trees between the antenna and the stations to the SE?

Did you set the tuner to 'AIR' or 'ANTENNA' mode?

Does your TV tuner have support for ATSC (Over the air digital signal format, which is different than the digital format used in cable networks)?

Have you tried the antenna with none of the amplifier parts installed?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Oct-2013 at 2:51 AM. Reason: ... UHF should work without the VHF antenna ...
Old 25-Oct-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Since you're using an old dish mount, I'm going to speculate that you are likely also using the old dish cabling. DISH usually uses multi-switches which look like but function differently from splitters. These multi-switches must be removed and bypassed as they will block all antenna signals.

Your best bet is to always build the system in stages. One antenna, one temporary coax cable going to one digital-capable TV set. Make that work to the greatest extent possible, then add the next component. Continue until it's complete

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Nov-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
angelo

Okay I guess it's another silly question but do I need to masts? (mount both antennae) Are there any images on what this will look like?
Thanks
Old 6-Nov-2013, 1:50 AM   #11
angelo

Okay I guess it's another silly question but do I need to masts? (mount both antennae) Are there any images on what this will look like?
Thanks