TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2013, 3:24 PM   #1
Matkinson

Antenna newb having issues in Mpls

Trying very hard to get OTA in the southern Mpls metro (55372) so I can kiss direct tv goodbye.

Equipment is Winegard HD8200U antenna, and a Winegard Chromstar 2000 preamp.

Test 1 with roof mount (approx 25' high) was disappointing with very weak signals, however after removing the antenna from the roof, a closer inspection of the 8200 revealed I had the UHF hard lines installed incorrectly (touching the mast).

Test 2 was a "ground test" on my deck (approx 8' high) after fixing the UHF issue. Even without the preamp enabled, the signals were dramatically better, unfortunately I was not getting any signal on either 4-1 or 5-1, which are two of our 4 major channels here (4-1, 5-1, 9-1 and 11-1) signal strength on 11-1 was over 70%, the rest were all on average 40-50%. Encouraged, I decided to try it again with the preamp...overall "better" results as a channel re-scan brought in several additional channels...on the downside I still had no signal on 4-1 or 5-1, and actually lost signal on 9-1.

I intend to make one final roof attempt before I admit defeat, any input or suggestions from experienced antenna folks would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps a different style of preamp might help?

Here's my TVFool info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0e59ee36ed

Thanks
Matkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2013, 8:55 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you tested reception with the antenna and preamp at 25' now that you're satisfied you have the antenna assembled correctly? The results can be dramatically improved when moving up that far.

There are several amplifiers in the Chromstar 2000 series. Which model do you have? Most of the model numbers look like "AP-8xxx" http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451964.pdf

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Sep-2013 at 8:58 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2013, 9:51 PM   #3
teleview

Examples of REAL Channels that are transmitted and received and virtual numbers.

WCCO-TV REAL UHF Digital channel 32 , virtual number (4.1) , CBS.

KSTP-DT REAL UHF Digital channel 35 , virtual number (5.1) , ABC.

There should be no situations/problems with reception.

Evaluate / Check , again to make sure the antenna is put together correctly.

Aim the HD8200U antenna at about 25 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Old School magnetic compass to aim the antenna.

Do Not use any of the satellite system passive or active system componets with the antenna system.

Yes it is Ok to use the coaxes of the satellite system.

As a Test to prove reception , Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

No amplifier , Remove ALL parts of the preamps units , Disconnect and Remove the Preamp Unit , Disconnect and Remove the Power Injector , Disconnect and Remove the Power Supply.

No , couplers , No splitters , No coupler ground block , No nothing.

Run the New continues length of coax from the antenna through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Install the antenna above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception to the , North East.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Sep-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Sep-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Matkinson

Thanks TV Fool responders...test 3 was a complete success. Adios direct tv!
Matkinson is offline   Reply With Quote