TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Oct-2014, 9:18 PM   #1
crabby

crabby's home

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2433b01346b26

hey guys, new to TV fool. was looking for help with what antenna would be best and if need amps etc. just cut the cable for TV and looking to get local channels. will be splitting the signal to go to 4 different TVs in my home. will put antenna on South side of home as in back and will be at least 25 ft off ground but have a ridge to the north, and most of station antennas are north of me. also specific info about grounding ie gage of wire, length of ground rod, usefulness of surge protectors for cable to TV etc. How would you do it as you guys are the experts.
crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Oct-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
timgr

Here's a thread that may help yopu on the grounding issue: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

I would expect the ridge to your north to be incorporated in your TVFool report. It is important that the horizon to the north is not blocked by buildings and trees. Locating the antenna mast on the south side of your house shouldn't matter as long as there is clear air to the north horizon.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
StephanieS

Greetings Crabby,

Your TVfool plot gives you decent chance at successful reception. Of note in your information, NBC KNWA from Fayetteville will be completely ignored. Instead, FOX KFTA provides NBC programming on 24.2. This is where you'll get your NBC from.

This gives you a chance to utilize an Antennas Direct DB8e for your single antenna option. Orientate one panel to magnetic 20 or so. The other panel, orientate to magnetic 220.

This will ideally provide you the following signals:
ABC KHOG
CBS KFSM
FOX KFTA
NBC KFTA 24.2
PBS KAFT

KAFT PBS is broadcasting on real channel 9, a high-vhf channel, which the DB8e isn't designed for. However, you have a reasonably healthy signal for KAFT. It isn't unusual for a UHF antenna to receive a VHF signal if it is on the healthier side. With this recommendation, I'm working on the chances are good you won't need to add a supplemental high VHF antenna.

If you are intending on servicing 4 TVs, a distribution amp is good investment. The channel master 3414 is a 4 way distribution amp.

I would not suggest a preamp. Double amplification can be tricky and if you don't absolutely need to do it, pass on it.

Run coax off single antenna to distribution amp. From distribution amp, run each individual coax to it's room/tv.

From there, I'll let others address you additional questions.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote