TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jan-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
ajs123

Antenna recommendations for Center Valley (Lehigh Valley region) PA

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a45712b37e01

Surprisingly perhaps, among the stations at around 50 miles, a homemade four-bay bowtie (drawing attached) in the attic with no amp brings in channels 11 (often), 13 (sometimes) and 50 (very occasionally).

I'd love to remain in the attic but willing to consider a chimney mount if strongly recommended.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4 bay 9-5in element layout.pdf.pdf (31.2 KB, 540 views)
ajs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 1:16 AM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

If properly built and used with a screen reflector, a 4 bay bowtie is hard to beat.

It would likely work a good bit better on the roof
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 1:12 PM   #3
Jake V

A lot will depend on your attic. An antenna that "looks" through a wall or roof that has has any metal in it is going to have difficulty pulling in a good signal. And the things in the attic (pipes, electrical wiring, etc.) can also cause issues. It's often necessary to try many locations in the attic to find the perfect spot. I'd start with that before buying anything (focusing on real channel 50 / WNEP-16 (ABC)). If it comes in solid from a different location you can consider just adding a VHF-HI antenna for channels 11 & 13 (NBC & CBS).

For UHF I'd probably go with the Antennas Direct DB-4e, pointed towards the Scranton towers (at 341 degrees using a compass) or something similar. Your local Lehigh Valley signals are strong so they should be picked up easily.

For VHF real channels 11 & 13 (NBC-WBRE/28 & CBS/WYOU/22), I'd likely go with a Stellar Labs Deep Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi or, if you want something smaller (but way more expensive) the Antennas Direct Clearstream 5.

It is possible the DB-4e will pick up the two VHF stations from Scranton, so you may be able to do without the separate VHF antenna. I'd try it first before purchasing the VHF antenna.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 6:15 PM   #4
ajs123

Thanks, Jake. The rep I chatted with at Antennas Direct suggested a DB-8e for the additional 3 dB, with their VHF add-on, and an amp. The VHF add-on seemed like it might not be quite enough. Others have suggested a Winegard 7698 if I can fit it in the space (probably can) or if I go to the roof.

I'm liking your two-step approach that starts with the weakest channel. I could get the amp and compare with/without (risk of nearby channels saturating, right?). Thoughts on the DB-8e being worth it?

Thanks again!
Old 7-Jan-2017, 7:56 PM   #5
Jake V

The DB-8e is an excellent choice, aimed at the Scranton towers (341 degrees on a compass). The Lehigh Valley stations at about 306 to 309 degrees are about 32 degrees off and would be picked up by the DB-8e's Antenna Pattern. The extra gain could prove very useful in the attic location.

I have personally installed the Antennas Direct ClearStream2V, the DB-4e and the DB-8e (among others). All did well and are good products. Since the DB-8e is big it's likely going to need to be located in the center of your attic (near the peak of the roof) - unless you are luck to have a home with a huge attic. Before buying make sure that your attic can accommodate the large size (38"t x 50"w) when the flat front is aimed northeast, in a location where it does not "look" through anything metal.

The Winegard 7698 is also an excellent antenna but can be difficult to set up in an attic because of its size.

If you are supplying signal to one television I'd start without an amplifier.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2017, 9:14 PM   #6
ajs123

Thanks again, Jake. Right now I have a little snow on the roof (but now leaves on the trees) and getting WNEP (Ch. 50, 52 miles, est. 10 dB NM) clearly with my no-reflector bowtie. So I am optimistic about reliable reception with a better antenna. The size won't be a problem.