TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2014, 5:36 PM   #1
mdsmith7

Can't get ABC in Nashville, TN

Hello Everyone,

Here is my Signal analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24349ba85deaa

I need help! I can't get ABC or PBS. I get all the other major netowrks (NBC, FOX, CBS, MyN, CW, ION) and a few others I don't care about.

I have a flat indoor antenna similar to this, but not 100% sure it is this one: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1050F-U.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

I noticed that PBS and ABC are on different degrees than all the other channels and have therefore moved the antenna around and re-scanned, but to no avail. The antenna rests on my entertainment center about five feet off the ground. Taping it to the wall hasn't solved the problem either.

I'm an 8 min drive from downtown, but I don't think it interferes with my signal nor do I have any really tall buildings near my house.

Other (most likely useless) information:

NBC isn't 10 as indicated on the analysis; it's 4.1.

CBS is on channel 5 (5.1) and 25 (25.1), but I usually, depending upon where I put the antenna, only get one.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't think I forgot anything, but if I did let me know. Thanks in advance

Last edited by mdsmith7; 28-Sep-2014 at 8:44 PM.
mdsmith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 7:39 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Please read the FAQs.

You are confused by the real vs displayed (virtual) channel. When selecting an antenna, focus ONLY on the real channel column of the chart.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 8:43 PM   #3
mdsmith7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Please read the FAQs.

You are confused by the real vs displayed (virtual) channel. When selecting an antenna, focus ONLY on the real channel column of the chart.
Thank you for your reply! However, I don't think I'm confused about the real vs displayed (virtual) channel. I should maybe clarify. I didn't intend to suggest that the RF channel isn't 10, I'm sure it is. I just meant to mention that the virtual channel is 4.1 because it isn't on the TV Fool report. That's all. As I previously stated though, it probably doesn't matter. Thanks again!

Last edited by mdsmith7; 28-Sep-2014 at 8:46 PM.
Old 28-Sep-2014, 9:04 PM   #4
timgr

Possible the inside of your home is just a very poor reception environment. Could have foil-backed insulation in the walls, stucco hung on wire mesh, something. Foil or wire screen will block radio and TV signals. I suggest you get a long RG-6 TV cable and take your antenna outside, and see what you get then.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 9:13 PM   #5
mdsmith7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Possible the inside of your home is just a very poor reception environment. Could have foil-backed insulation in the walls, stucco hung on wire mesh, something. Foil or wire screen will block radio and TV signals. I suggest you get a long RG-6 TV cable and take your antenna outside, and see what you get then.
Thanks for your reply! Would that poor reception only affect those two channels? I don't really want to invest more money into an antenna especially because I'm only renting the house, but I might if I get too desperate. Thanks again!
Old 29-Sep-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
timgr

Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsmith7 View Post

I noticed that PBS and ABC are on different degrees than all the other channels
That direction may be shielded by the building, building materials, or some obstruction outside.

Also, PBS - WNPT real channel 8, is a VHF station. Check that your antenna is capable of receiving VHF.

Move the antenna outside and as high as possible, as a check. Buy a long cable and take the antenna outside.

If it's the building that is shielding that direction, a larger antenna is no guarantee of better results.
Old 29-Sep-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
ADTech

Quote:
I just meant to mention that the virtual channel is 4.1 because it isn't on the TV Fool report.
There are a number of entries in the database that don't have the virtual channel listed. It's just of those things they never finished since, until recently, that virtual channel data wasn't included in the FCC database.

Quote:
Would that poor reception only affect those two channels?
Because those two stations come from a different direction which is borderline obscured by terrain, at a minimum. ABC and PBS are on the same tower with the ABC antenna on top and the PBS antenna side-mounted about 75' below it. The hill immediately to your south is just the right height to be on the boundary of a diffraction zone which can cause signal layering. If there are unaccounted for obstacles such as trees and buildings, including your own in that direction, it complicates the signal path so that signals may be blocked or distorted. Having an ineffective antenna that doesn't do much in the way of discriminating directions or that is very effective on VHF doesn't help much.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 29-Sep-2014 at 3:26 PM.
Old 29-Sep-2014, 1:44 PM   #8
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsmith7 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Here is my Signal analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24349ba85deaa

I need help! I can't get ABC or PBS. I get all the other major netowrks (NBC, FOX, CBS, MyN, CW, ION) and a few others I don't care about.

I have a flat indoor antenna similar to this, but not 100% sure it is this one: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1050F-U.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

I noticed that PBS and ABC are on different degrees than all the other channels and have therefore moved the antenna around and re-scanned, but to no avail.
Check you television user manual to see if there is a way to add channels manually instead of doing a complete rescan.

Quote:

The antenna rests on my entertainment center about five feet off the ground. Taping it to the wall hasn't solved the problem either.
Try as many different locations as possible, including the floor.

Quote:

I'm an 8 min drive from downtown, but I don't think it interferes with my signal nor do I have any really tall buildings near my house.

Other (most likely useless) information:

NBC isn't 10 as indicated on the analysis; it's 4.1.

CBS is on channel 5 (5.1) and 25 (25.1), but I usually, depending upon where I put the antenna, only get one.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't think I forgot anything, but if I did let me know. Thanks in advance
Please note that ABC on WKRN in Nashville is transmitting on real channel 27, but will probably show up as channel 2 on your television.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 6:13 PM   #9
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
ABC and PBS are on the same tower with the ABC antenna on top and the PBS antenna side-mounted about 75' below it. ...
I can see the terrain, but how do you know the tower details?
Old 29-Sep-2014, 7:19 PM   #10
ADTech

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/tv-q...station-search