TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Mar-2015, 3:35 AM   #1
keller525

Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan

Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan

TV Fool comrades!

I'm setting up an attic antenna to pickup channels in the South Haven, Michigan area - transmitters are 30-40 miles away. The best I can do is an attic antenna directed to the northeast. I will have some tree foilage in my way but not too bad. I will be elated if I can pick up basic networks - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, WTTW and FOX. I tried a table-top Mohu style antenna and could only pick up 3 or 4 channels and only one HD network channel.

I need a recommendation for an antenna and a pre-amp/amplifier. The antenna needs to pick up UHF and VHF channels - I really prefer one antenna to do both if possible due to space restrictions. The amplifier will need to be plugged-in at the TV location (not in the attic) because I do not have power in the attic. The coax run between the antenna and the TV is about 50-feet.

Here is the TV Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0fda290fc9b

Thank you!!!

Last edited by keller525; 3-Mar-2015 at 3:39 AM.
keller525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd opt for an outdoor mounted pair of antennas such as an Antennas Direct DB4E and Antennacraft Y5713. I'd do all that I could to avoid aiming trough trees and structure(s).

If you are unable or unwilling to consider any option other than attic mounting, and you can only consider a single antenna, then I'd suggest trying the Antennacraft HBU-33. If your attic turns out to be a poor reception location, the HBU-33 can be re-folded and moved outdoors.

If driving a single tuner trough 50' of coax, no preamp should be needed.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 4:21 AM   #3
keller525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I'd opt for an outdoor mounted pair of antennas such as an Antennas Direct DB4E and Antennacraft Y5713. I'd do all that I could to avoid aiming trough trees and structure(s).

If you are unable or unwilling to consider any option other than attic mounting, and you can only consider a single antenna, then I'd suggest trying the Antennacraft HBU-33. If your attic turns out to be a poor reception location, the HBU-33 can be re-folded and moved outdoors.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I am limited to an attic installation. Do you think I will need an amplifier if I use a splitter for two televisions?
Old 5-Mar-2015, 3:39 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I'd try without any amplification, running this test during the install process. If the need for amplification is proven, a preamp or distribution amp can be inserted at any time.

I'd avoid 'deep fringe' high gain amps like the CM-7777 and PA-18... Both are for speciality applications where there are exclusively weak signals present.

The Antennas Direct 'Juice', RCA TVPRAMP1R and Channel Master CM-3410 would be better suited to your application.

Old 7-Mar-2015, 3:35 AM   #5
keller525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post

Since my last posting, my wife has encouraged me to explore a rooftop mounted antenna. What would your ideal choice be for this application if I elected to do a rooftop antenna but only wanted to one antenna for both UHF & VHF stations? Would you still recommend the Antennacraft HBU-33?
Old 7-Mar-2015, 4:31 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

I prefer the two antenna combo because it allows for more specific aiming. (I'd start with the UHF antenna facing about 70° and the VHF antenna pointed toward 50°, then fin tune the aim of each to get the best overall reception reliability.

If a single antenna is a must, then yes, the HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P would be the next best option. I'd use a starting aim point of about 60°.