TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2019, 4:03 PM   #1
Jammer

RG6 quality; UV resistance

Eight years ago I installed a maximum-effort OTATV antenna on the peak of my (steep) roof. The antenna was spun during a storm and I'm going up to repoint. The RG6 feedline has deteriorated and I'm going to replace it.

Are there better sources for RG6 that will withstand UV for a longer time? The stuff that's up there now is from Solid Signal. I have a spool of RG6 from Home Depot but I am beginning to question whether it is suitable for the portion of the run that is above the roof.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2019, 5:25 PM   #2
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Eight years ago I installed a maximum-effort OTATV antenna on the peak of my (steep) roof. The antenna was spun during a storm and I'm going up to repoint. The RG6 feedline has deteriorated and I'm going to replace it.

Are there better sources for RG6 that will withstand UV for a longer time? The stuff that's up there now is from Solid Signal. I have a spool of RG6 from Home Depot but I am beginning to question whether it is suitable for the portion of the run that is above the roof.
My opinion is that the industry leader for coaxial cable is Belden. Whatever you buy, just make sure the specs say the jacket is UV resistant. (By the way some people think that RG-6U in the coax description means UV resistant--it does not, it stands for 'utility').

The cable jacket is usually made of PVC. From 0.5% to 2.0% carbon black is added to prevent UV degradation. At 2.0% the PVC is considered completely UV stable, but 0.5% is considered adequate. However, I have never seen these figures disclosed in any datasheets.

I have some coaxial cable on ham radio antennas that is approaching 20 years old that exhibits no more loss now than when it was new. From personal observations, I think more problems occur from improperly installed connectors or water intrusion from connectors that are not adequately waterproofed at installation OR from poor quality materials used in some lesser priced coaxial cables. For example, in some cables the foamed dielectic material (the white insulation inside) tends to crack and disintegrate over time.
Old 24-Oct-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
OTAFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I mostly use Mediabridge bought from Amazon due to its price to performance ratio. Customer reviews (nearly 5600) going back several years are very positive (over 90%) and I can confirm based on my experience. And it's UV resistant.

I do have one 50' run of Home Depot Deluxe quad cable and it's still "like new" after four years of outdoor use now in the sunny, salty air.

I agree with Tim that Belden is certainly the industry standard. I don't think anyone will argue with that, other than perhaps the price, depending on where you purchase it.

Just my 2 cents. All the best.....

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-C...s%2C191&sr=1-3

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...4189/203726224

https://www.belden.com/products/ente...ohm-video-coax

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Br...aps%2C192&sr=1

Last edited by OTAFAN; 25-Oct-2019 at 4:15 AM. Reason: spelling
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote