TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Oct-2010, 1:03 AM   #1
justen

Far, far away (but nearly on top of a mountain)...

I expected this, but I nearly cried. You can see why.

Is there any hope? I'd love to pick up the Charleston stations. (They are WVAH, WCHS, WPBY, WOWK, WSAZ, WQCW.) For obvious reasons, I'm not holding my breath.

I would even settle for the Bluefield and Beckley stations, I guess. (WVVA, WSWP, WOAY, WVNS.)

I would be open to any equipment ideas, potentially including small nuclear power generators. (Kidding on that last part.)

Any hope for any of this? Thanks in advance (for your sympathy if nothing else).
justen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 2:44 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I feel some of your pain...

A Winegard HD-9032 or Antennas Direct 91XG plus an Antennas Direct PA-18 amplifier would be a possible option for channels 14 and higher.

If you want to try for channels ranging from 7 - 13, then the combination of a Winegard YA 1713 (for high band VHF) and one of the UHF antennas above into a Channel Master CM7777 amplifier.

I took the liberty of dropping those coordinates into the mapping tool to look at what could be gained by going up... at 60' AGL there should be significantly more signal. So, can you consider a pole or tower instead of a small nuclear reactor? LOL I think your best hope is in getting the antenna as high as possible.

Do you have a neighbor on higher ground that would be interested in a joint venture?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Oct-2010 at 6:57 AM. Reason: another idea that stopped me from falling asleep
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 5:41 AM   #3
John Candle

Special Reception

The hybrid satellite view shows many odd looking structures and buildings. And the land scape is - well - the same as their home world. Thank you for revealing the location of a major UFO base here in the USA.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Oct-2010 at 6:21 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 6:51 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Reception

How many Tv's will be connected?
Old 21-Oct-2010, 1:04 PM   #5
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
There are few places in West Virginia where TV reception is easy, and most places are almost impossible. You are in one of those situations where nothing is close-by or easy to get. In any event, you'll need pretty extreme measures to get all of your networks.

I would stake out the highest ground that you possibly can, and expect to use a tower of at least 50', and use deep-fringe antennas, like an AntennasDirect XG-91 for UHF and a Winegard YA-1713 for VHF, plus a rotator and a Channel Master Titan 7777 preamplifier, but you STILL may not see all of the network stations reliably. Only you can determine whether such an extreme situation is worth your time, money ( probably in excess of $1,200.00) and effort.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 1:06 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

There's a good reason why your TVFool report looks so bleak - the Quiet Zone over in Pocahontas County that protects the radio telescopes at Green Bank. Before you invest any money, use the map tool for exact location like GroundUrMast did - run the antenna height up as far as you think you can build. You may see more signal, but before you get too excited, click on any of the stations in the resulting TVFool report to check out the path profile. You're going to be relying on scattering over some some tall mountains to get anything. You will have to go with two antenna option that was described above to have a shot at getting all the networks (CBS and PBS from B-B-OH or ABC from C-H are on VHF).
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 4:25 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

PBS video about the quiet zone. http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience...uiet_zone.html . If you will provide your exact latitude and longitude and the building we can go to the >Start MAPS< part of tvfool for a better look at your situation.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Oct-2010 at 4:56 PM.