TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Aug-2014, 5:12 PM   #1
nleahcim

Need antenna selection/placement advice

Hi - I just moved in to an apartment in Santa Clara, CA. I'm on the second floor of a 4 floor building with my only outward facing wall facing North. Luckily, it seems most channels are North of me. Here is a TV fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f08dd99b0f0

I have this antenna already: http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/antennas/?sku=ANT111F and with careful placement I can get some channels, but not a ton. Really I'd be stoked if I could just get the major networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW)

I have a building straight North of me, that is at least 15 feet taller than my apartment (ie shorter than my 4 story building, but the roof is above me). I could place an antenna outdoors fairly easily, though I'd prefer something not too huge so as not to piss off the HOA. I have a patio that might be perfect for it.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Edit: I'm not sure if this is useful, but this is all the channels I can get at the moment. I should note that this feels like a lot more than normal so I'll check again tonight to see if any of these have disappeared.

KAXT-CD (1.1)
Family (1.2)
QVC (1.3)
VietBay (1.4)
QHTV (1.5)
NetViet (1.6)
VIETOP (1.7)
CTV-USA (1.8)
U_ch (1.9)
TFTV (1.10)
JEWELRY (1.11)
NET V (1.12)
KTVU-HD (2.1) - weak
KTVU-SD (2.2) - weak (Fox - desired)
KGO-TV (7.1) - a bit weak, (ABC - desired)
LIVWELL (7.2)
LWSD (7.3)
KOFY-HD (20.1)
METV-SD (20.2)
VIETV-1 (20.3)
VIETV-2 (20.4)
KICU-HD (36.1)
KICU-SD (36.2)
KICUSD2 (36.3)
KSTS-HD (48.1)
EXITOS (48.2)
KQED+ (54.1)
KQED (54.2)
LIFE (54.3)
KIDS (54.4)
V-me (54.5)
ION (65.1)
QUBO (65.2)
IONlife (65.3)
SHOP (65.4)
HSN (65.5)
QVC (65.6)
KFSF-HD (KFSF-HD) (weak)
KDTV-HD (66.2) (weak)
Bounce (66.3) (weak)
Grit (66.4)

Last edited by nleahcim; 19-Aug-2014 at 7:08 PM.
nleahcim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2014, 6:29 PM   #2
brg88tx

try rca ant751
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2014, 7:09 PM   #3
nleahcim

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
Is that more directional than my current antenna? I had an antenna like that growing up and we really had to aim it for each channel. Thank you for the suggestion!!

BTW added a link to that antenna for anybody curious.

Last edited by nleahcim; 19-Aug-2014 at 7:12 PM.
Old 19-Aug-2014, 7:27 PM   #4
teleview

+=>

Place the indoor RCA antenna in/at the inside of the of the patio window - door window.

Aim the RCA indoor type antenna at about 348 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor type antennas.

www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

----------------------

Can also Test reception out on the patio with the RCA indoor type antenna.

The RCA indoor type antenna can be installed out on the patio.

If reception is good on the patio and you will like to continue reception with the indoor type antenna out on the patio , the indoor type antenna is not designed to deal well with weather/water and will quickly corrode.

Put the RCA indoor type antenna in a big plastic bag out on the patio.

A plastic garment bag is big. Or can use some other big plastic bag.

--------------

Can also install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna , or , AC9 , antenna out on the patio.

Aim antennas at about 348 degree magnetic compass direction.

You can drill a hole through the wall to get the coax from the patio into the apartment.

Or

www.hollandelectronics.com has a Flat Coax that will install as a pass through in a window or door.

Model number , 144823

------------------

Also , Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 23-Aug-2014 at 8:09 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 20-Aug-2014, 5:17 AM   #5
nleahcim

One more update... I noticed that every channel I listed above as being weak is now dead tonight, 9 hours later. Not sure what that means - guess my reception goes down at night? Or maybe some clouds cleared or something.

Also, I really want to get NBC - but I cannot even tune my TV to 11.1 which is listed in the TVfool report as NBC. What am I missing?
Old 20-Aug-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
StephanieS

Greetings,

This out to do the trick for you: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...-Complete.html

It includes a VHF (real channels 7-13) duplexer that'll be right what the doctor ordered on KNTV and KGO.

Good luck!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Aug-2014, 3:43 PM   #7
nleahcim

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
Greetings,

This out to do the trick for you: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...-Complete.html

It includes a VHF (real channels 7-13) duplexer that'll be right what the doctor ordered on KNTV and KGO.

Good luck!
Hi - thanks for the suggestion! Does the RCA ANT751 not diplex VHF and UHF? I mean it lists it as being designed for both ("Supports all digital and analog TV frequencies including VHF, UHF and 1080 signals" (whatever 1080 means in that context)) - so my assumption is that it would do that - but maybe I'm missing something?

It looks like the proper part number for the Clearstream antenna is the "C2-V-CJM" - is that right? They seem to be way cheaper elsewhere - $75ish on Ebay new, and less used.

Is there any sense in getting an amplified antenna? (or an inline amplifier) I mean, my understanding is that the higher the range of an antenna, the more directional it is, unless you have an amplifier. So this antenna makes me nervous since it is longer range than the RCA antenna...

Also - does it make sense that my TV cannot even tune to 11-1 (KNTV-DT's virtual channel). It can, however, tune to channel 12 (the real channel for KNTV-DT) but shows no signal. Maybe my TV uses the real channel numbers for VHF but virtual for UHF? I tried going to a couple UHF real channels but my TV refused, but was happy to go to their virtual channels.

Last edited by nleahcim; 20-Aug-2014 at 3:47 PM.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 3:20 PM   #8
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleahcim View Post
One more update... I noticed that every channel I listed above as being weak is now dead tonight, 9 hours later. Not sure what that means - guess my reception goes down at night? Or maybe some clouds cleared or something.
These are all in the same direction. I suggest you adjust the antenna to optimize these, then see if the rest are acceptable.

Quote:

Also, I really want to get NBC - but I cannot even tune my TV to 11.1 which is listed in the TVfool report as NBC. What am I missing?
The virtual channels are created and stored in the television or converter when a signal is successfully received from the station. Not all devices can add channels after the original scan. Try entering "12", followed by a hyphen or period with the antenna pointed in the appropriate direction, or check the user's manual for the add-on procedure. If this doesn't help, you may have to do a complete rescan. Please be advised that you may lose any existing channels that are not received during the scan.

Ben
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2014, 5:19 PM   #9
nleahcim

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>

Place the indoor RCA antenna in/at the inside of the of the patio window - door window.

Aim the RCA indoor type antenna at about 348 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor type antennas.

www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

----------------------

Can also Test reception out on the patio with the RCA indoor type antenna.

The RCA indoor type antenna can be installed out on the patio.

If reception is good on the patio and you will like to continue reception with the indoor type antenna out on the patio , the indoor type antenna is not designed to deal well with weather/water and will quickly corrode.

Put the RCA indoor type antenna in a big plastic bag out on the patio.

A plastic garment bag is big. Or can use some other big plastic bag.

--------------

Can also install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna , or , AC9 , antenna out on the patio.

Aim antennas at about 348 degree magnetic compass direction.

You can drill a hole through the wall to get the coax from the patio into the apartment.

Or

www.hollandelectronics.com has a Flat Coax that will install as a pass through in a window or door.

Model number , 144823

------------------

Also , Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Hi - somehow I didn't see your post. Confused how that happened... Didn't even get an e-mail or anything... I think the forum may have hiccuped.

I have tried the RCA indoor antenna outside and I didn't notice any perceptible difference, surprisingly enough. So I think I need something stronger!

It looks like the HBU11K is rated for 40 miles and the AC9 is rated for 15-25 miles. So I think the AC9 will probably not work.

The flat coax you mentioned is interesting - I'll have to look into what is feasible for getting the antenna through the wall.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 6:01 PM   #10
nleahcim

More thoughts on this... Do I care about VHF low band (channels 2-6, 54-88MHz)? I see that many antennas don't even quote range there. It looks like there's only a couple channels within range of me on VHF low and no major networks. So I think I just need reception on VHF high and UHF right?

I've been looking around and most manufacturers do not quote gain/beam width for their antennas... this is making comparison hard.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 7:22 PM   #11
teleview

+=>

--->As always<-->mileage numbers of reception distance of Tv antennas are a -->General Number<-- for average reception conditions.

The Tv transmissions reception is Very Strong Signal Strength at your reception location.

The AC9 is a good all channel antenna for reception at your location.

Some of the Tv stations/channels might not be received at the patio reception because of the obstructions of the buildings.

For Vastly Improved Reception , Install the AC9 all channel antenna above the roof of the apartment building.