TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Aug-2013, 2:11 PM   #1
radman3d

Trying to receive ION TV (WPXA)

I have been trying to figure out how to increase the signal to my setup to get ION TV (WPXA) channel 51 virtual 14.1. I have the Channel Master 4228HD antenna with a Digimax DA1T drop amp in line giving an extra 15db to 4 TVs, the antenna is in the attic about 25 feet above ground level. In the morning most time I can get the channel, but signal is pretty weak. TVFool says it is 71 miles from my house in Locust Grove, GA. The station is out of Athens, GA and I have a hard time believing I get it at all, maybe they have a repeater in Atlanta somewhere. I'm thinking of trying the Channel Master 7777 pre-amp to improve the signal. I will probably remove the drop amp. Any suggestions on improvements to my system would be greatly appreciated.
radman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 2:55 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WPXA has never moved their transmitter to Atlanta. It's still on Bear Mountain, over 70 miles away. It may well simply be out of reception range.

We'd have to see your TVFool plot to comment further.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:45 PM   #3
radman3d

Guess this is what you need: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1454034155

Thanks for the help
Old 28-Aug-2013, 8:49 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Step 1. Get antenna out of attic and up in the air. Signals that weak are unlikely to ever be reliable with an attic-mounted antenna.

Step 2. See Step 1.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
teleview

Install the CM4228HD antenna above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception in the directions of , North West , North , North East , West , South West , South East.

Aim the antenna at about 342 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Old School magnetic compass to aim antenna.

A Winegard DS3000 J pole type antenna mount works Ok with the CM4228HD antenna.

Digital Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Aug-2013 at 3:22 PM.
Old 29-Aug-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
radman3d

Thanks for all the info. I really do not have the option to move the antenna to the roof otherwise I would have done that in the beginning, housing covenants will not allow this. I am already getting something like 40 watchable channels. I get some channels very weak and I'm going to try the pre-amp to see if that helps with the weak channels. What I would like to know is if you think the Channel Master 7777 is a good one or if there might be a better one to get?

FTI: The link to www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html does not work.

Last edited by radman3d; 29-Aug-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 29-Aug-2013, 3:18 PM   #7
teleview

As is true of web sites , web sites can go down and return later.
_________

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can install a Broadcast Tv Antenna Above The Roof Of Any Size So As To Have Reliable Reception.

Hoa's are well aware of this Federal Antenna Law and some Hoa's keep their mouth shut about it.

And some Hoa's will try and twist the information in the web site and try and use it to stop you from install the antenna above your roof.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Aug-2013 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 29-Aug-2013, 6:15 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
...some Hoa's will try and twist the information in the web site and try and use it to stop you from install the antenna above your roof.
A common item for them to use is the 1 Meter size limit for satellite system antennas. Your TV antenna is not a satellite system antenna, and is not limited in size.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2013, 6:35 PM   #9
radman3d

Thanks for the info on the FCC and HOA's this is good info to have when I do move it to the roof. But in the mean time I still would like someone to please answer my question about the Channel Master 7777 if it is a good one or if there might be a better one to get?
Old 30-Aug-2013, 8:25 PM   #10
teleview

Because of the location of the antenna in the attic and Weak Signal Strength and distance of station and hills and mountains , my evaluation is No type or kind of amplifier or combination of amplifiers will provide reliable reception.

The issue is not one of amplification , the issue is getting more reception with a antenna from the get go.

Recommend install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception.
Old 31-Aug-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Channel Master posts an informative warning: http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV..._p/cm-7777.htm

Your signal conditions do not call for the weak signal performance of the CM-7777. I would expect it to overload.

If your attic causes unreliable reception, as many do, don't expect any amplifier to correct the problem. If you feed an amplifier a signal mixed with interference, noise and distortion, it will amplify the signal and interference, noise and distortion.

Try reception with no amplifier. At first, with just the antenna connected to one TV using a cable no longer than 50'. If you don't get reliable reception with this test setup, odds are poor that an amplifier will make much difference.

Until you have a usable signal from the antenna, you need to consider alternate placement and/or a different antenna. Antenna location (including height) is often far more important than any other single factor.

If you actually prove the need for an amplifier, it will need to be able to handle strong signals. Consider the CM-3410 or RCA TVPRAMP1R.

Old 31-Aug-2013, 2:01 PM   #12
radman3d

Thanks for the overdrive info on the CM-7777, that is the kind of info I have been trying to find. On CM site they recommend the CM-7778 for my situation. Which do you think would be better the RCA TVPRAMP1R for $25 or the CM-7778 for $60? Money is really not the concern here, getting the best reception is.
Old 31-Aug-2013, 2:44 PM   #13
radman3d

Thanks for all the great info! The over drive info was what I have been trying to prove. Which is better RCA TVPRAMP1R or CM-7778? CM site says the CM-7778 would be best for my situation.

Last edited by radman3d; 31-Aug-2013 at 2:47 PM.
Old 31-Aug-2013, 6:10 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

The independent testing and reviews make me favor the TVPRAMP1R.

Thanks to Pete Higgins... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13530

Old 1-Sep-2013, 4:54 PM   #15
radman3d

Thanks for the thread link. Very interesting testing Pete Higgins did, I'm convinced it is a best buy as Consumer Reports would put it. It is ordered and on its way. Thanks for all the help so far. I will let you know how it goes when I install it.
Old 8-Sep-2013, 1:07 PM   #16
radman3d

I hooked up the RCA TVPRAMP1R pre-amp and I now get a few more channels plus all the channels I got before, but the ION channel 14 did not have enough power to work yesterday afternoon. During the night it started coming in and coming in very well. As of this morning it is still working, it will most likely drop out again by this afternoon. This must be caused by Atmospheric Propagation or Tunneling of the signal around the curvature of the earth. The broadcast antenna sets at about 2400' and I'm at about 800', 71 miles from the antenna. Other then moving the antenna up and outside this might be the best I'm going to do. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 7:33 AM   #17
GroundUrMast

If you can afford to experiment with other antennas, these are worth trying:
Antennas Direct 91XG & DB8e
Winegard HD9095P

I would exhaust the mounting location & height options first.

Old 16-Sep-2013, 7:15 PM   #18
radman3d

The pre-amp seemed to help, but maybe only a bit. The ION channel I was trying to get comes in at night and early morning, but by 10-11 am it is gone until evening at the earliest...strange to say the least.