TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-May-2017, 4:36 PM   #21
Billiam

The DAT 790 MIX is working again. I am definitely seeing stronger signal gain on the weaker Dayton channels compared to the U4000. Almost as strong as when I used the Super G 1483 with a pre amp. Not quite but pretty close. This is not the long range version.

I've also noted that I have less multi path picture break up again. But after we have another good thunderstorm or high winds and rain, I will have a better idea of how well it works in a multipath prone area such as where I am living.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2017, 5:36 PM   #22
KOGREN

Thanks for letting me know.
KOGREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2017, 11:17 PM   #23
KOGREN

How do you know what is causing the signal to breakup?
Old 9-May-2017, 12:20 AM   #24
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOGREN View Post
How do you know what is causing the signal to breakup?
I'm located in the worst spot for TV signals that I've ever seen. Probably bad for AM and FM too.

Urban area. Densely developed. Tall trees and multi story homes and buildings surround my house and are also nearby. Also have hills in the area.
Old 5-Jun-2017, 1:00 AM   #25
KOGREN

Did you ever try one of the long periodicals? How is the Dat790 working out for you?
Old 5-Jun-2017, 11:15 AM   #26
Billiam

Yes, the DAT 790 MIX is still working OK. No more issues with the built in pre amp not working right. Leaving it unplugged and unused for a few days solved the problem.

I have not purchased the long range version of the antenna. The medium range model is adequate at my current location.
Old 16-Jun-2017, 12:01 AM   #27
Billiam

A new update. Now that the leaves are in fully on the trees I am getting a lot of dropouts on my weaker Dayton signals. This weekend I am going to try reinstalling the 4 Bay U4000 and possibly the Super G 1483 8 Bay to see if that will remedy the problem.

The biggest issue is that Ch 2 from Dayton and Ch. 7 from Dayton is the antenna location and height. Ch. 7 has to be positioned a few inches lower (when using a DAT790 MIX or another Yagi like the MXU 59) for it to be received well. This did not seem to be an issue when I used both the 4 Bay and 8 Bay. The antenna could be at a fixed height and still receive both adequately. Thus, it may not be possible to use the DAT 790 MIX even with a rotor since the design of the antenna is apparently a problem like a Yagi in this situation. Will report back my findings after I have a chance to go back and test the other antennas.
Old 18-Jun-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
Billiam

Another update. This is getting really interesting.

Swapped out the DAT MIX for the U4000 again. This time around I installed a rotor. By doing this I was able to find a spot at 100 degrees (by accident) that allows me to get both Ch. 2 and 7 and 22 from Dayton with the antenna at the same height. Then if I rotate it back to 15 degrees I am able to get Ch. 26 though it is quite weak. Due to the screwy nature of this location it is obvious I am getting 2, 7 and 22 off a reflection from a building. But the signals are reasonably strong enough to watch and I am not seeing any multi path break up at least during normal weather conditions.

In light of this I will probably try the DAT MIX on the rotor and will see if it too can pick up Ch. 2 and 7 and 22 at 100 degrees. If so, then I can continue to use it. Otherwise, I will probably buy a 8 bay which will give me just enough additional gain to reliably receive Ch. 26 here.
Old 18-Jun-2017, 5:25 PM   #29
Billiam

In an effort to save some time today I swapped out the U4000 with the MXU59. Problem solved.

Thanks to the rotor I can now get all the full power signals from Dayton except Ch. 45 which is likely never to come in at this location. Just too weak.

I may try to reinstall the DAT MIX next weekend if I have time. With potential weather coming in I didn't want to spend a lot of time messing around with the pre amps and so I decided to put that off for now.