TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Oct-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Jwwann

New here. Wish I would of researched more.

First Hi everybody. Great forum and info here. I found this after I started purchasing equipment. Here is my signal field.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2ce68f4f3b
My goal is to point antenna as to get all the main networks I can. I have not purchased a rotator but my have to down the line.
What I've bought so far.
Antennas Direct 91xg
Cm7777 Titan 2
Winegard sw-10010 tripod mount for roof and wine guard 5 foot pole for it.
What would be my best course of action from here.
Have not opened the box to anything yet.
Thanks everybody.

Last edited by Jwwann; 20-Oct-2013 at 7:39 AM.
Jwwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2013, 7:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your reception report is flagged with: "WARNING: Address was only resolved to street level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates."

When generating a TV Fool report, my preferred method is to open the Interactive TV Maps tool. Leave the 'input method' set to the default, 'address'. Then, enter only the ZIP Code, and then click the 'Map This' button.

At this point you should have a map displayed, with a movable cursor located at the center of the ZIP Code that was entered. Use your mouse to drag the cursor to the exact location you're interested in. In the upper right corner of the map you can select from four view types, I find it helpful to have all four available... The Hybrid and Terrain modes seem to be what I use the most.

At the bottom of the map, enter the antenna height (for a roof top installation use 25' if you don't have a more accurate measurement). You can also find the LAT/LON coordinates of the cursor (in decimal form, not deg/min/sec).

Once the cursor location and the antenna height are set correctly, click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button located at the upper right corner of the map. The TV Fool report opens in a new tab or window. You can then copy the URL from the address bar of your browser, for posting to a thread.

I hope this helps, I just want to be sure we give you advise based on the actual conditions at your location.

Presuming the first TVFR is accurate enough,

The 91XG is a good start. The translators at the top of your list are not on the air per rabbitears.info. So start by pointing the 91XG at about 230° (mag). If you're not blocked by trees or nearby buildings, expect to see the signals from KSPR RCH-19, KYTV RCH-44, KOZL RCH-28 & KOZK RCH-23. You may be able to adjust aim toward the west and get KRBK RCH-49 without loosing the signals from the main group.

To add KOLR RCH-10, add an Antennacraft Y10713 pointed at 230° (mag).

I would use an RCA TVPRAMP1R which has separate inputs for the UHF and VHF antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Jwwann

This is the exact location. Should I send any of the equipment back I already purchased or just add the existing antenna if I would like channel 10. Is that the correct preamp for my situation? It looks like I would already have a cbs out of Springfield. I would like to get that fox station. Hope fully I can get both or a rotator will be in order. Every thing is still unopened so I can still send anything back to amazon.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed334386c78

Last edited by Jwwann; 22-Oct-2013 at 1:21 PM.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 1:01 PM   #4
Jwwann

Oh and thanks GYM. I have no knowledge in this field. We dropped our satellite just in time for the Cardinals to make it to World Series. Hulu and Netflix our nice but no local news.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 2:15 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Get the 91XG up in the air and see what you can get. It's a good start that you can add to as suggested.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2013, 2:38 PM   #6
Jwwann

Ok thanks guys. I should be able to get it before this weekend. What about that amp? Try without? Then install if needed?
Old 22-Oct-2013, 3:34 PM   #7
ADTech

Yes, try the amp. Set the switches to "Separate", connect to the UHF port, and set the FM trap to "On". Operate the slide switches with a small screwdriver or similar.

If you add the large antenna for KOLR, it will connect to the VHF port.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 22-Oct-2013, 3:57 PM   #8
Jwwann

Sweet the KOZL is KOLR. Won't have to get VHF antenna now.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 4:45 PM   #9
Jwwann

What is best way to ground from lighting. I'm afraid up at top of this ozark mountain it might get hit. At least one tree gets hit in my yard every year.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Post #20 in this thread is my stock answer, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Old 23-Oct-2013, 5:17 PM   #11
Jwwann

Thanks GUM.
Old 24-Oct-2013, 6:43 PM   #12
Jwwann

Ok I was wondering if I could utilize my dish hd coax. Coming out of dish it is doublestrand. Could I just put a splitter out of antenna and run into both strands? Maybe try just running one side or run all new beginning to end? It comes into house in floor single strand though.
Old 24-Oct-2013, 7:22 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

The cable used in satellite installations works fine for OTA, provided the connectors have not been left open to collect water. Most satellite system accessories such as multi-switches, diplexers (which look similar to splitters), inline amplifiers, etc. need to be removed completely or they will block OTA signals.

Old 24-Oct-2013, 7:39 PM   #14
Jwwann

Thanks GUM.
Old 25-Oct-2013, 3:53 PM   #15
Jwwann

Gum, the coax coming out of sat dish is double strand with what appears to be a ground wire too. So do I run coax out of antenna, into amp, out of amp, into two way splitter for the double coax of sat which runs into single coax in my living room? Or just run into one side of coax from sat? I hope this makes sense. The module on the dish had two hookups and stayed double stranded I guess for two different satellites. When it comes out inside house it single. Do I need to crawl under house and look for where it splits or will it even make a difference?
Old 26-Oct-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
Jwwann

Nailed them all with out amp hooked up. Plus a CW and that fox KrBK. I needed to watch the rest of World Series. Should I not hook up amp and leave it alone? Got all the networks on this clear night. Getting KOLR on my UHF too!

Last edited by Jwwann; 26-Oct-2013 at 3:04 AM.
Old 26-Oct-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
ADTech

Give it a few days and see how it goes. A single day in this type of weather isn't a very long period of time.

CW is carried by KSPR as a sub-channel.

Old 26-Oct-2013, 2:40 AM   #18
Jwwann

Thanks guys. These channels look better without a bill behind them.
Old 26-Oct-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwann View Post
Thanks guys. These channels look better without a bill behind them.

That's literally true.
Cable and satellite compress their signals, whereas OTA is pure and direct.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 9:10 AM   #20
Jwwann

What's would be the best rotator for this antenna? Thanks.