TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jun-2014, 5:23 PM   #1
usmiltho

Question Need new antenna

Hello
I cut the cord about 2 years ago and got a clearstream 2 antenna which worked good. Slowly I have been losing channels, and I think I need to get a new antenna.

My report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c629b66d129a

I am a little confused by these reports and am not sure what my options are to pick up my original stations and maybe some more. There are both UHF and VHF stations in my area 30+ miles away, so I think I need a UHF and VHF combined antena? Maybe 2 separate antennas?

I used to receive virtual stations 10.1, 19.1, 25.1, 27.1, 35.1(sometimes), 57.1, and 63.1.

Now I am down to 10.1, 19.1, 25.1, and 27.1(only now with an amplifier in my house. None of the cabling or the splitter has changed. I have 2 TVs hooked up.

Like I said, it would be great to get even more channels, which looks very possible by this report. Open to any recommendations...Thanks in advance
usmiltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2014, 5:39 PM   #2
usmiltho

Sorry forgot to mention. I have tried to re-aim my current antenna without success and it is about 15' off the ground on an old satellite dish mast.
Old 23-Jun-2014, 5:54 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The ClearStream antenna, if it has actually failed, is covered by our lifetime warranty. About the only failure mode for that antenna that would cause progressive failure would be water getting into the loop element. Please check that. If found, please call Customer Service at 877-825-5572 for assistance.

If there is no evidence of that, then the problem is going to be due to either water infiltration into the coaxial cable or your local environment has changed. Most commonly those changes would be either tree growth or nearby new construction or a new source of localized electrical or electronic interference.

One further question: Did you aim the front of the antenna towards the horizon to the north (rather than towards the sky to the SSW)? Yes, it happens all the time, have to ask.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 23-Jun-2014 at 5:56 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2014, 5:58 PM   #4
usmiltho

I will definitely check to see if I can see any signs of water damage. Any suggestions on a different antenna to replace it with though if it turns out not to be covered?
Thanks
Old 23-Jun-2014, 7:21 PM   #5
ADTech

First things first. If you don't know what's going on with the existing antenna, anything else is just guessing.

Take the C2 off the mount and shake it. If it has water in it, it will be obvious. Drill two small drain holes (1/16-1/8"), on in the bottom of the lower loop and one at the bottom of the central hub (if none is already there) to let the water out. The antenna should then work but get it replaced anyway if you wish.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 23-Jun-2014, 8:05 PM   #6
usmiltho

Hello again, Thanks for the help. There was no water in the antenna, but I rechecked all the cables/connections and it ended up being the splitter. I bought one locally here at Ace hardware for $11 (way too high) but it fixed the issue. Not sure why the old one went bad, but all in all it was a cheap fix!!
Old 23-Jun-2014, 8:06 PM   #7
usmiltho

BTW the old splitter had no visible damage, but I figured I would give it a shot.
Old 24-Jun-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
ADTech

Hmmm... Splitters aren't a very common failure. Glad you found it!.

Old 24-Jun-2014, 12:49 AM   #9
usmiltho

Yeah, the splitter was one my old satelite company installed about 3 years ago, i just recycled it. Thats why i figured i would change it. Once again, i am a believer in the clearstream 2 for uhf and vhf reception. Thanks again.
Old 24-Jun-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
ADTech

Using "splitters" left over from a satellite installation is a common mistake. They usually are not splitters but rather multi-switches and tend to block OTA signals since they're not made for antenna usage.

It's surprising that it ever worked.