TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Aug-2014, 9:14 PM   #1
hamsandwich

Antenna Recommendation Requested for D.C. Suburbs

Hi,

I hope I can get some guidance. I would like to install the proper antenna. Of course the simpler the better - i.e. one antenna in the attic would be my best case scenario. More details:

Link to TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fdcec6a4633

I only care about the green channels, most of which are at about 162 degrees, however I would like to get the channel 28 if possible (334 degrees). Two channels are high VHF - I am thinking maybe I can get away with a simple UHF bowtie antenna. Any advice on an appropriate setup is appreciated.

Thanks.
hamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 2:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

An RCA ANT-751 would be adequate on the roof... But if you want to try mounting in the attic, I'd suggest you step up to an Antennacraft HBU-33.

If the attic turns out to be e poor reception environment, the HBU-33 is certainly not overkill if moved outside.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
No static at all

Great suggestions by GUM

You shouldn't have trouble getting channel 28 off the back of the antenna. The signal from 28 gets out better in your direction than indicated in the report. 28 was easy for me to receive 27 miles away in the same direction with just a small outdoor antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d32
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 7:32 PM   #4
teleview

+=>

Install a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna.

or

ANT751 antenna.

Different manufactures.

The HBU11K antenna has a slight edge of reception ability.

------------------

Aim the HBU11K or ANT751 at about 162 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

To assist the best reception , most Digital Tuners have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tuners also have a Signal Quality Meter.

------------------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

------------------

Install the antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the , attic , roof , building , in All directions.

Also know this.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own , attic , roof , building , in the directions of reception.

At your reception location that is all directions.
Old 14-Sep-2014, 7:33 PM   #5
hamsandwich

First, as the original poster, let me thank everyone for the feedback. Second, sometimes I don't listen! The reason I asked about a bowtie antenna in the attic was because I acquired one from a friend who moved away (never installed it). Although the posts above did not seem positive, it wasn't going to cost me anything additional to try it before investing in the costlier options suggested. So I strung up the bowtie at the peak of my attic, which is about 25-30 ft above ground. My house faces ~165 degrees magnetic, so hanging it between the rafters didn't require any additional aiming.

My results are excellent. For almost 2 weeks now, I receive all the green channels. All the UHF channels have 90-100% signal strength on my TV, except channel 50 (152 magnetic), which shows 75%, and channel 62 (334 magnetic) which shows 85% coming from the back. I'm not sure why 50 is lower than the rest, I would think 62 would be the lowest.

As far as VHF, I receive 7 and 9, at 80% and 75%, respectively. I am particularly happy about this because these channels are ABC and CBS.

I don't see any picture breakup or pixelation on any channels. For now, I am happy. We'll see if anything changes seasonally or over time. In my case, it seems that the forum recommendations were very conservative and I'm glad I tried something small (and cheap). In the future I may add a splitter and another TV or tuner card, and see how things go. I may need a preamp for that, which isn't so bad.
hamsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote