TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Jun-2017, 4:31 PM   #1
ansky

Reception problem with 1 channel

I live in NJ right outside NYC. I'm using a small outdoor antenna with a 75 ft coax run. I'm having problems receiving WNYW (Fox 5) which broadcasts on channel 44. The strange thing is I sometimes get this channel at full strength, but then it will suddenly drop in signal strength to the point where I can barely pull in the station at all. This seems to mostly happen during the day (mid morning to early evening).

I tried plugging the coax into 2 different TV's and I have the same problem with both, so we can rule out a TV/equipment problem. I also tried changing the twin lead (where the coax connects to the antenna) and that made no difference.

Another thing that makes this very strange is that I can take a small indoor antenna and plug it directly into the TV and that gives me pretty good reception, even when the outdoor antenna doesn't pull in anything. I'm just really stumped as to how I could go from 100% signal to almost nothing with the outdoor antenna.
ansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2017, 5:17 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, ansky:

Please do a tvfool report so that we can see what your signals look like. Your exact address will not show in the report. You can do it here:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
Quote:
I'm using a small outdoor antenna
What antenna are you using?
Quote:
I tried plugging the coax into 2 different TV's and I have the same problem with both, so we can rule out a TV/equipment problem.
You can probably rule out a TV problem, but maybe not an equipment problem.
Quote:
Another thing that makes this very strange is that I can take a small indoor antenna and plug it directly into the TV and that gives me pretty good reception, even when the outdoor antenna doesn't pull in anything.
Pretty good reception of WNYW?

What small indoor antenna?

That does sound like an equipment problem.

Where is the outoor antenna mounted?

Any trees or other buildings in the signal path from WNYW?

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Jun-2017 at 5:26 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2017, 5:33 PM   #3
ansky

This is my report.

Also, this is the outdoor antenna I am using: https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-O...rca+tv+antenna

The condition of the antenna is great. It's only been up on the roof for about 2 months and shows no sign of wear or breakage.

I don't believe trees and buildings are a factor. There are many other channels coming from the same place (Empire State Building) that have no issues. Also, if a tree or building was in the way I would have a constant reception problem, not a problem that comes and goes.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (74.0 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by ansky; 27-Jun-2017 at 5:58 PM.
Old 27-Jun-2017, 6:01 PM   #4
rickbb

Look for interference with another radio source. FM radio station, FM fire/police radios, VHF aircraft/marine radios, an appliance turning on when you have the issue. And so forth.

Your indoor antenna maybe out of that interference sources's path, or in a RF shadow hidden from it.

Something on the same frequency and/or between your antenna and the transmitting tower.

Tricky problem to track down. Lots of trial and error, you may need to move the antenna a few feet this way or that.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2017, 6:24 PM   #5
ansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
Look for interference with another radio source. FM radio station, FM fire/police radios, VHF aircraft/marine radios, an appliance turning on when you have the issue. And so forth.

Your indoor antenna maybe out of that interference sources's path, or in a RF shadow hidden from it.

Something on the same frequency and/or between your antenna and the transmitting tower.

Tricky problem to track down. Lots of trial and error, you may need to move the antenna a few feet this way or that.
Interference crossed my mind too. I agree it's very difficult to track down. I live in a very densely populated neighborhood. It's possible the source of interference may not even be in my own house. Another thing I considered is possibly the station is having technical difficulties and maybe running with reduced power at times. But I would have no way of confirming that.
Old 27-Jun-2017, 6:56 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the image of the report. Not quite as useful as an active link, but it shows very strong signals at your location.

Are you using any satellite distribution equipment between the antenna and the TVs?

What indoor antenna are you using?

Are you using any amps?

Your outdoor antenna is suitable for your location. It looks like the RCA ANT751. Some sellers are sending the modified version which is not quite as good called the ANT 7511. The pictures on the box are the same; the only way you can tell is that the 751 is in a long box; the 7511 is a short box. Either one is OK for you.

Your signals are strong enough to cause tuner overload, especially with a TiVo.
Quote:
I'm just really stumped as to how I could go from 100% signal to almost nothing with the outdoor antenna.
OTA signals constantly vary in strength. If you are just on the edge of overload, that would explain your results.

I did a report based on your image. An active link allows us to click on a callsign for more information about a channel.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a487e7239505

Without any more information from you, I suggest you try an attenuator in the coax.

Interpreting Noise Margin in the TV Fool Report
http://www.aa6g.org/DTV/Reception/tvfool_nm.html

You also have a very strong local FM signal that might interfere with TV reception:

http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/d...1/Radar-FM.png

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Jun-2017 at 12:09 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jun-2017, 5:34 PM   #7
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Another thing I considered is possibly the station is having technical difficulties and maybe running with reduced power at times. But I would have no way of confirming that.
You already have, you said you could put up an indoor antenna and did not have the problem. That rules out the transmitter, and puts it local to your roof top location/equipment/cabling.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2017, 6:52 PM   #8
ansky

Thanks for the replies. I bought a taller mast and moved my antenna up about 2 feet higher above the roof. That seems to have fixed my problem.