TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2014, 7:54 PM   #1
Idi0tB0x

wishful thinking? can I only get ABC?

I currently have basic cable tv but would like to drop it and would be happy with just the networks via over the air. I got all excited and started making antennas and plugging them into my tv. The first one was a pie plate. All I could get was ABC, PBS, and several of spanish stations. Then I upgraded to a coat hanger, and then a gray-hoverman design that was a lot of fun to make, but I'm still not getting the other networks (nbc, cbs, and fox).
I feel like the kid who didn't read the instructions first...
I've now discovered TV Fool and have mapped my location, and maybe abc is all I can get? Although it does say with "extraordinary measures" maybe I can get more?
Here's the report for my address:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b945dfb530ddd
Can someone check and let me know if I have options or what "extraordinary measures" could help? A 500 foot tall antenna is not an option.
I'll also add that I currently have cable TV and cable internet. I want to drop the cable TV to save money, but I'll still have high speed internet since it's taken care of by my company, and if having high speed internet opens up any other options I'm interested in them too. I just want to be able to watch in network primetime shows at night and football games on Sunday afternoons during the season.
And I wish I had found and understood these reports on signal strength building various diy antennas...
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Idi0tB0x; 23-Feb-2014 at 5:12 PM.
Idi0tB0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2014, 9:55 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Take a look at the information provided by http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=K10PV#station. You can get a pretty good idea of what's available in the Santa Barbara area. It looks like you should have a fairly full lineup available.

I'd opt for a roof top mounted antenna such as the Antennacraft HBU-44. If pointed toward the east, you would still expect to get good reception of the signals from the west through the back of the antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Idi0tB0x

GroundUrMast,
Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused on the difference between rabbitears and tvfool. I know that some parts of Santa Barbara can get all three networks (like rabbitears says) or at least so I have read, which is why I started playing around with antennas.
But when I map my house via TVFool, it shows that nbc, cbs, and fox are in the grey zone.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b945dfb530ddd
If they were in the red zone, then it says I might get them with a roof antenna, but because they are in the grey zone, "These channels are very weak and will most likely require extreme measures to try and pick them up"
I'm guessing this is because local hills where I am are blocking the signals?
Anyway, my question is does the TVFool map indicate it's a lost cause at my house, or am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 19-Feb-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

CBS and Fox will be "no-shows" but you should be able to get everything else.

Yes, it's the mountains.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Idi0tB0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
CBS and Fox will be "no-shows" but you should be able to get everything else.

Yes, it's the mountains.
With my homemade antenna, I get about 11 channels, but the only one of any use to me is ABC. Everything else is in a foreign language (well, there is PBS I guess).
What I was hoping for was the four networks, which I consider to be ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I know I can get ABC.
You are saying CBS and Fox are no shows?
How about NBC?
Or is the bottom line that where I live I can only get ABC over the air? Thanks!
Old 20-Feb-2014, 2:35 AM   #6
teleview

+=>
-----
The best way to test the prediction models is to install a big antenna that will receive a lot signal.

Install a , Antenna Craft , HBU44 antenna.

Aimed at about 86 degree magnetic compass direction for KTTV FOX.

Aimed at about 312 degree magnetic compass direction for reception of KCOY CBS.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass direction.
Old 20-Feb-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idi0tB0x View Post
How about NBC?
On the rabbitears.info site, click on K10PV, and it'll show NBC and CW on real channel 10. It shows 35.7 dB NM on the Fool report.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2014, 2:15 PM   #8
ADTech

Based on your TVfool plot, I will assume that direct reception of the Los Angeles broadcasts is not possible. Perhaps with heroic measures, but that's not likely.

The next nearest CBS and Fox broadcasts are from Santa Maria (KCOY), but their signal is a mere ~10 kW in your direction and you've got a mountain range in the way.

Go with GUM's recommendation and aim the antenna in the direction of the Rattlesnake Canyon transmitters.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 20-Feb-2014, 2:32 PM   #9
Idi0tB0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
On the rabbitears.info site, click on K10PV, and it'll show NBC and CW on real channel 10. It shows 35.7 dB NM on the Fool report.
I generated a rabbitears report based on my home address. This is what it said for K10PV (which is NBC and CW)...
6‑1 (10) K10PV-D SANTA BARBARA CA 7 80° -93.28 Poor 2Edge
The good news is it's 7 miles away, but the bad news is that the dBm is -93.28. I think I know where the transmitter is (at Rattlesnake Canyon) and I think the problem is that it is not line of site from me...
Old 20-Feb-2014, 9:00 PM   #10
Idi0tB0x

My last post got moderated and hasn't shown up yet, so I'll try again. I think I'm starting to understand things (how to use and read rabbitears and tvfool reports).
I know ABC comes in and I get it with my DIY antenna. People are saying CBS and FOX are hopeless.
I'm wondering about NBC, and I'd like to know if it's even possible before I invest in a better antenna and going up on the roof.
I did a rabbitears search based on my house. I then clicked on K10PV (NBC and CW).
The good news is the transmitter is only 7 miles away, but the dBm is -93.28 and is rated Poor 2Edge.
What are the chances of getting NBC with those stats?
Old 20-Feb-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
ADTech

Quote:
PV (NBC and CW).
The good news is the transmitter is only 7 miles away, but the dBm is -93.28 and is rated Poor 2Edge.
Are you looking at a different plot than what you posted?

Old 21-Feb-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Idi0tB0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Are you looking at a different plot than what you posted?
Sorry, this is getting confusing.
I did post the tvfool report initially.
But then a poster talked about what rabbitears was showing, so I've been looking at that. I put my home address into rabbitears and was talking about that report.
So tvfool says Signal Pwr (dBm) -55.1
And rabbit ears says Signal Strength (dBm) -93.36
Old 21-Feb-2014, 12:45 AM   #13
Idi0tB0x

I'm going to try to post the rabbitears report link...

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...pe=dBm&height=

It shows Signal Strength (dBm) -93.36 for K10PV-D (Digital) which has NBC.
Old 21-Feb-2014, 2:31 AM   #14
teleview

+=>
----
The Best way to discover what and will not be received is to install a HBU44 antenna.

Aimed at about 86 degree magnetic compass direction for ->Testing<- reception of KTTV channel 11 FOX.

And aimed at about 312 degree magnetic compass direction for ->Testing<- of reception of KCOY-DT channel 19 CBS.

------------

And 86 degree magnetic compass direction is a in between aim direction for reception of the Tv stations to the , ~East~ at 68 and 106 degree magnetic compass directions and the Tv stations to the west at 286 degree magnetic compass direction.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Feb-2014 at 3:09 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.