TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Sep-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
bengott

help receiving a specific station

I have an issue with receiving WVTM in Birmingham AL. here is a link to the report... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362eb71939600..
I am using a directional antenna from Best Buy. I have an amplifier. the antenna is mounted in my attic. I live in a single story town home. I receive all networks in this area except this one station that happens to be my NBC affiliate.... My antenna is pionted north and my house sits facing almost due west... the weird thing is I used to get this channel before when I used OTA... but during the DTV transition I was using cable... Now that I am back to ota I can't get it... and now I get channelks I did not get before the transition.... for instance I now get WCFT on 33.1... but nothing from WVTM...

any help would be appreciated
bengott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

What is the make and model number of the tv antenna and amplifier.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
bengott

antennas direct clear stream 2 antenna, samsung hlr4266w is the tv. and I'm using a rocket fish rf-g1178 amplifier...
Old 20-Sep-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengott View Post
antennas direct clear stream 2 antenna, samsung hlr4266w is the tv. and I'm using a rocket fish rf-g1178 amplifier...
WVTM is on RF channel 13, a VHF channel.

Your Clearstream C2 antenna is designed for UHF only.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
bengott

Well I noticed that after posting but I also have a vhf amplified set top antenna it's an RCA.... But still no go... guess I may need a better vhf antenna.
Old 21-Sep-2010, 3:43 PM   #6
mtownsend

Even though you *might* get a VHF channel through a UHF antenna (if the signals are strong enough), it's a little silly to try and use the wrong antenna for the job when so many better options exist.

Since you also have one low-VHF channel (WUOA, channel 6, virtual 23.1), you ought to consider a full bandwidth antenna like the Winegard HD7080P.

BTW, the amp you're using is designed for use in cable systems. It is designed for bi-directional operation (allowing certain "upstream" frequencies back through to the cable network, like cable modem and/or video-on-demand control signals), which is not normally used for OTA applications.

Many regular OTA amps like the Channel Master 7777, Winegard 8700, or Antennacraft 10G202 have better technical specs (lower Noise Figure) than the Rocketfish amp. The proper amp can improve the stability/robustness of your setup on the weaker stations.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
bengott

Good info..thanks!
Old 22-Sep-2010, 4:19 AM   #8
John Candle

Tv Reception

Put the antenna on the roof. The attic can reduce signal strength by 50 percent. With the antenna on the roof , a antenna amp. will most likley not be needed.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Sep-2010 at 4:22 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote