TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Apr-2014, 3:26 PM   #21
teleview

+=>

Test reception without the preamplifier.

Disconnect and remove All parts of the preamplifier.

Disconnect and remove the preamp unit.

Disconnect and remove the , power injector and power supply.
Old 12-Apr-2014, 10:49 PM   #22
bwag32

Cant get fox 17 in Mid TN

here is my tv fool
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94937b486886

I have a winegard hd7698P with an RC preamp. fox 17 is the only channel that i am not getting. Its on the same tower as 58 and 30. Any ideas on what I can do ?
bwag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 11:06 PM   #23
Lewis

WZTV I had a glimpse of it again last night after the storms passed through but can't pull it in 24/7 here as is.

Last edited by Lewis; 12-Apr-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
GroundUrMast

I'd try alternate antenna mounting locations and elevations.

If that fails, I'd consider opting for an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713. The RCA TVPRAMP1R has separate inputs for the two antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 12:06 AM   #25
bwag32

problem is it was working before I added a splitter. The splitter is after the preamp and power.. could that make that big a difference?
Old 13-Apr-2014, 2:11 AM   #26
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag32 View Post
problem is it was working before I added a splitter. The splitter is after the preamp and power.. could that make that big a difference?
So you split the signal to a second TV or for input to a DVR or other media device and it knocked out a weak station?

Yes, splitters cut the signal at least 50%-60% and probably pushed the Fox signal below acceptable levels. Does the splitter you used list the loss per leg in dB? Typical values are -3.4dB, -3.7dB, -4.0dB, etc. which corresponds to 54.3%, 57.3% and 60.2% loss. If the splitter doesn't list the loss then you have to assume its not a very efficient splitter. I'd buy a splitter that explicitly states its loss as -3.4 dB per leg (that is the best I have seen).

That might be enough to get your signal back up but if it doesn't work you'll need to find and remove additional losses in your system such as using coax couplers to join cables (-0.5 dB loss) or replacing RG59 cable with RG6 cable, etc. You could also re-aim your antenna and you should definitely re-zero your TV tuner and rescan.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 2:48 AM   #27
bwag32

the splitter is -3.4db and I am already running rg6. Ive re-amied my antenna and rescanned the tv. any other suggestions other than unhooking the splitter
Old 13-Apr-2014, 5:11 AM   #28
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag32 View Post
the splitter is -3.4db and I am already running rg6. Ive re-amied my antenna and rescanned the tv. any other suggestions other than unhooking the splitter
Why did you split the cable?

Re-Zero the tuner?

Does Fox come it at all or completely gone after the split?

Long shot, but try a different splitter in case the one you have is defective.

If there are no other losses in the system that you can easily remove then you'll need more amplification. What is the dB rating of your pre-Amp? How long are these cable runs?
Old 13-Apr-2014, 5:08 PM   #29
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
dmfdmf , is asking questions that are in the original posts , this goes to the original posts.
It looks like the thread has been consolidated, thanks teleview.

bwag32, I think you need to slow down and do some troubleshooting per teleview's post #21. Your signal for Fox is weak but not that weak, so your antenna and amplifier system should be fine to drive two TVs. Do you get RCH23/CW or RCH36/ION? These stations are weaker than Fox according to your TV Fool report and if Fox is the only station knocked out by the splitter something weird is going on.

I would start over and rebuild the system one step at a time, retesting along the way to find the cause. If you get Fox at the antenna with no pre-amp and a direct line to one TV with 50ft or less of coax then that is step one to prove you have signal at the antenna to amplify. Everything follows from that.
Old 13-Apr-2014, 5:31 PM   #30
bwag32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
It looks like the thread has been consolidated, thanks teleview.

bwag32, I think you need to slow down and do some troubleshooting per teleview's post #21. Your signal for Fox is weak but not that weak, so your antenna and amplifier system should be fine to drive two TVs. Do you get RCH23/CW or RCH36/ION? These stations are weaker than Fox according to your TV Fool report and if Fox is the only station knocked out by the splitter something weird is going on.

I would start over and rebuild the system one step at a time, retesting along the way to find the cause. If you get Fox at the antenna with no pre-amp and a direct line to one TV with 50ft or less of coax then that is step one to prove you have signal at the antenna to amplify. Everything follows from that.
Ive done that all and still no fox. I cant figure it out and I thank everyone for their help just guess I wont be watching fox .. as a side note I have both ion and cw crystal clear.
Old 14-Apr-2014, 9:17 AM   #31
teleview

+=>

All coax is suspect of being defective.

All connectors on the ends of of coax are suspect of being not put on correctly.

All couplers are suspect of being defective.

All splitters are suspect of being defective.

All devices that are connected to the antenna system are suspect of being defective.

All etc. is suspect of being defective.

--------------------------------------------

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Old 14-Apr-2014, 9:45 PM   #32
bwag32

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>

All coax is suspect of being defective.

All connectors on the ends of of coax are suspect of being not put on correctly.

All couplers are suspect of being defective.

All splitters are suspect of being defective.

All devices that are connected to the antenna system are suspect of being defective.

All etc. is suspect of being defective.

--------------------------------------------

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

agreed. replaced everything and I finally have fox showing up but the signal is horrible. guess ill just live with out lol