TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Apr-2013, 2:52 PM   #1
drhoeh

Reception Issues

I currently have a RCA 751 with a RCA TVPRAMP1R Pre amp. I was doing great all winter but now that spring is coming in my antenna is not performing that well. I have it mounted as high as I can without climbing up a tree. I have also tried using the antenna with and without the amp. The question I have is I was considering upgrading my antenna. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was considering a Winegard HD7694P because I need a really good VHF along with UHF. Or would I be better off to to get something like a DB8 and add a separate VHF antenna. The channel I am trying to receive is Channels I am having troubles receiving is 8 and 30.

My report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc4955decb0225

Thanks, in advance.
drhoeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2013, 5:08 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You are far too close to Atlanta to be using a pre-amplifier.

Generally, signals lost in the springtime are due to the leafing out of the trees. I've learned the hard way that investing in a good chainsaw (or a tree service) is going to yield superior results to swapping antennas around. As a matter of fact, I just cured my pesky summertime reception problems with local station KETC last Saturday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KETC_Solved.JPG (271.9 KB, 964 views)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 9-Apr-2013 at 6:34 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2013, 6:49 PM   #3
drhoeh

You are so right and I did cut down all of MY trees but I am still low to the ground and my neighbors trees are huge. Plus my house is about 10 feet lower than the house behind me. I am trying to come with solutions that don't involve me sneaking on to my neighbors property in the middle of the night with a chainsaw and rope.
Old 11-Apr-2013, 7:24 PM   #4
drhoeh

I took a picture at the height and position that my antenna sits at. As you can see I have trees in my way and there is nothing I can do about it. Do you think upgrading my RCA 751 will make a difference?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (396.8 KB, 550 views)
Old 25-Nov-2013, 4:47 PM   #5
drhoeh

Combining Antennas

I have two different antennas on top of my house. They are both pointed in different directions. Since the large antenna 12footer gets all of channels at once except for one, I figured I could stack the two of them. The large one I wanted to use for UHF and smaller one (ANT751) I wanted use for VHF. I tried to use my RCA Amplifier to combine the two since there is a switch in the amp that allows that but it does not help. I need some advice.

1.Is combining the two a bad idea?

2. Should I use a different different combiner instead of the one built into the amp? (if so what do you recommend)

3. Is there a certain distance I should put between the two antennas?

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Mableton, GA
Old 25-Nov-2013, 5:29 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

I've taken the liberty of merging your most recent post with your previous thread. Please verify that this is the same location (or not). Also, what is the make/model of the 12' antenna?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2013, 5:42 PM   #7
drhoeh

I mooched the antenna from my neighbor and I don't know what make it is. I will try and do some research and see if I can figure it out.
Old 25-Nov-2013, 5:54 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-------
Is this a continuation of your other post/threads??

Of the antennas in the pictures what antenna looks the most like yours.
www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 25-Nov-2013, 6:01 PM   #9
drhoeh

Im sorry I though you wanted the exact make and model #. It is a all band vhf, uhf and fm.
Old 25-Nov-2013, 6:23 PM   #10
teleview

+=>
-------
No requirement to be sorry.

Yes the make and model is the best to have.

If not known then is Ok to test the identification with pictures.
Old 25-Nov-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
drhoeh

I would upload a picture of the antenna but my cell phone is not compatible. I did find out that my RCA amplifier was over amplifying the signal. I figured that out by looking at the signal meter from my hdhomerun. It does explain the interference and break down of some of the images but does not fix uhf vhf issue.
Old 25-Nov-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
teleview

+=>
--------
Here is a way to install the ANT751 higher.

The idea is to select a tree that is tall and straight and is at a location that is not impeded by other trees in the direction of reception.

www.ronard.com/tree_adjust.html

Buy ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , or buy from , www.ronard.com .

-----

Falling out of a tree is very close to zero fun , so do not fall out of a tree.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Nov-2013 at 3:46 AM. Reason: Clarify information a d typos.
Old 26-Nov-2013, 2:15 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

To combine a UHF source and VHF source, consider the Antenna's Direct EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner. http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B008PBTPN4

Old 26-Nov-2013, 3:59 AM   #14
teleview

+=>
--------
The UHF VHF diplexer combiner.

The UHF connection will block VHF signals.

The VHF connection will block UHF signals.

This the way a diplexer combiner works.

And this correct.

The diplexer combiner combines a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna and stops crosstalk of the UHF and VHF antennas.

Antenna crosstalk is not good.
Old 26-Nov-2013, 4:48 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

Let's reset so to speak... If you connect just the big antenna to one TV, with no amplifier or splitter... What signal(s) (Call Sign, Real Channel Number) do you have trouble with?

Please see: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646