TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Sep-2013, 9:18 AM   #1
laststraw

antenna choice for western Pennsylvania

Our cable provider recently deleted the HD signal for the ABC,CBS, and NBC local affiliates from basic cable so we're looking into OTA reception. I've been reading on here about the antenna options - thanks to all posters who share their experience and knowledge so freely!

I already had a cheap HomeWorx HW110AN and initial tests are promising! We're about 25-30 miles from the transmitters and the antenna pulls in good digital signals for CBS and Fox (Virt Ch 2.1 and 53.1) when hung in a south facing closet on the 3rd floor approx 28 feet above ground - the house is constructed of wood with aluminum siding. It can also pick up a good CBS signal through a north facing window on the same floor.

We're looking for an antenna that will also get ABC, NBC, and PBS. The RCA ANT751 that I've read about here looks like a good option since it is small enough to be mounted in the closet and can be mounted outside if needed. Is this a good choice or are there better antennas for our situation that are also small enough to fit in a 4ft x 6ft closet?

The signal analysis results for 10, 25, and 50 feet are:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aebdf6919d98

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae8d560690e5

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed998e82e48

Thanks again!
laststraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Aluminum siding makes a indoor antenna an unlikely-to-be-successful proposition. Compounding that, your terrain analysis is poor and any signals that might make it to your home will be weak and scattered as your location is basically a hole in the ground with regard to the signals from Pittsburgh

Unless you are prepared to go to the rooftop and to go large (and I do mean LARGE), forget it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 30-Sep-2013 at 12:58 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2013, 8:04 PM   #3
teleview

Above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directins of , West , South West.

Install a Winegard HD7084P All channel antenna aimed at about 240 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Install a Winegard , AP8700 preamplifier.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , http://www.solidsignal.com.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

Old 2-Oct-2013, 1:12 AM   #4
laststraw

Thanks for the replies ADTech and teleview - I appreciate the candid appraisal of what's involved. What to do? Time to mull over if we can live with CBS and Fox!
Old 2-Oct-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do NOT select a large all, channel antenna since there no low-VHF stations within range. Select either a large high-VHF/UHF antenna or a combo system consisting of separate UHF and high-VHF antennas.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2013, 5:46 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Do NOT select a large all, channel antenna since there no low-VHF stations within range. Select either a large high-VHF/UHF antenna or a combo system consisting of separate UHF and high-VHF antennas.
I agree with everyone else, you need to mount outdoors, clear of obstructions. Indoor or attic mounting offers no realistic hope for success.

A large UHF antenna who's performance peaks around real CH-43 is needed for WPGH. The signals in the High-VHF band (real CH-7 through CH-13) are going to need a full size H-VHF antenna.

I would opt for an Antennas Direct 91XG, Antennacraft Y10713 and an RCA TVPRAMP1R. If WBPA were ever to come on the air with adaquate power and programing of interest, I'd deal with it using a cut for band L-VHF antenna which could be added into the existing system.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
laststraw

bit the bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I agree with everyone else, you need to mount outdoors, clear of obstructions. Indoor or attic mounting offers no realistic hope for success.
I would opt for an Antennas Direct 91XG, Antennacraft Y10713 and an RCA TVPRAMP1R..
Thanks for the recommendation - I just ordered all three. My son is getting married next weekend so it will be a few weeks before I'm able to install them.

The plan is to install them above roof level on a mast anchored to the south facing second floor wall. Any recommendations on mast materials etc that will do the job and be easy to handle and adjust?

I read about a 3 foot separation between the H-VHF antenna and UHF antenna. The antennas will be between the transmitters and the roof. Do they need to be higher that the apex/is there a rule of thumb for how high above the roof apex the antennas should be?
Old 6-Oct-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststraw View Post
Thanks for the recommendation - I just ordered all three. My son is getting married next weekend so it will be a few weeks before I'm able to install them.

The plan is to install them above roof level on a mast anchored to the south facing second floor wall. Any recommendations on mast materials etc that will do the job and be easy to handle and adjust?

I read about a 3 foot separation between the H-VHF antenna and UHF antenna. The antennas will be between the transmitters and the roof. Do they need to be higher that the apex/is there a rule of thumb for how high above the roof apex the antennas should be?
AS long as they can "See" the towers, you'll be fine.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Oct-2013, 4:13 PM   #9
laststraw

grounding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereocraig View Post
AS long as they can "See" the towers, you'll be fine.
And, so it does work fine! Thanks!

I got the XG91 and gave it a test run on the third floor. With the RCA preamp it pulls in all the UHF channels we had before plus some more. I didn't test the AntennaCraft 10-7-31 - too big for indoor use!

I'm researching and buying mounts, mastic sealing tape, grounding supplies etc, so that I'll have everything together when I do the gable installation in a couple of weeks.

I've been reading about grounding on this forum from GUM and others and plan to ground the mast and the RG 6 to the house electrical ground before entering the house.

So, I've a question about GE grounded RG 6 (product # GE 73342) that is available online. Can this ground wire be stripped back from the sheating and used to ground the mast and the coax? The pictures I've seen online don't show that the ground wire is moulded as an "add-on" to the coax. Also, i've been unable to find any information on the size of the ground wire. It would be really convenient if the grounded coax could also be used to ground the mast.
Old 13-Oct-2013, 9:38 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if you are considering 'coax with messenger' which provides both support and grounding functions. The common size of the messenger is 17 AWG. It's usually cooper clad steel which is specifically listed in the NEC
Quote:
(H) Size. The grounding conductor shall not be smaller
than 10 AWG copper, 8 AWG aluminum, or 17 AWG
copper-clad steel or bronze.
My personal preference is to run #10 AWG copper. I find it's easier to work with and find clamps and connectors that last when exposed to the elements.

An exception is when I run an overhead span between buildings or up into a tree. In either case, I need the support function of the messenger wire so why not use the grounding capability as well.

Old 13-Oct-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
laststraw

Quote:
It sounds as if you are considering 'coax with messenger' which provides both support and grounding functions. The common size of the messenger is 17 AWG.
Thanks much for the reply - I've found your postings on grounding very helpful.

Bearing in mind that the cable already has the F-connectors, is it typical for the 'messenger' wire to be in a separate "sleeve" that can be peeled back from the coax outer covering for grounding? The picture doesn't show how the 'messenger' is integrated with the coax - and the reviews I read didn't shed any light on the issue - but that is the only way I can visualize it working.

When you use it, do you use the messenger to ground the mast as well as the coax itself? If so, what's the best way to do that?
Old 2-Nov-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
laststraw

Quote:

I would opt for an Antennas Direct 91XG, Antennacraft Y10713 and an RCA TVPRAMP1R.
Thanks all for the advice here. We put up the recommended equipment last weekend and are getting more channels and a better picture than we had with cable
Old 2-Nov-2013, 7:22 PM   #13
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Yes is True , Digital Broadcast Tv has the Clearest Picture Quality and Best Sound Quality.
Old 2-Nov-2013, 8:53 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststraw View Post
Thanks much for the reply - I've found your postings on grounding very helpful.

Bearing in mind that the cable already has the F-connectors, is it typical for the 'messenger' wire to be in a separate "sleeve" that can be peeled back from the coax outer covering for grounding? The picture doesn't show how the 'messenger' is integrated with the coax - and the reviews I read didn't shed any light on the issue - but that is the only way I can visualize it working.

When you use it, do you use the messenger to ground the mast as well as the coax itself? If so, what's the best way to do that?
Yes, the typical 'coax with messenger' is coax with the messenger molded into the jacket so that the two are parallel but not in contact electrically. If used as a support, the messenger wire does not need to be stripped bare. But as you have described, each end of the messenger wire does need to be stripped of insulation if you are going to use it as a conductor.