TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Feb-2015, 2:22 PM   #1
BigDaveyL

Feasability question

Here is my TV Fool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c152a3893b9e5

I have a Winegard antenna already up, along with a RCA preamp (to make up for 8-way splitter and long cable runs) and a Rotator. I have been happy with it so far and have the antenna pointed such that I can get the max. channels I can get at one time (I think we're up to 38 or something).

However, the geek in me would like to pick up channel 27 (click on pending) out of Canada. They show some programming (like some History shows). I can get this station no problem IF I rotate the antenna or just put a good enough antenna in a north facing window on the second story.

So my question is twofold....

(1) Can I just use a standard splitter to put in the signal from the second antenna to get 27? You know, for the wife acceptance factor.

(2) If I can do #1, is it feasable to get CBLT or CHEX (CBC affiliates) in order to get additional programming (like Hockey Night in Canada)? I understand I would probably need to put up a larger antenna outdoors (read: 91XG or DB8e)
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2015, 3:27 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The bad news first, CHEX (real CH-12) is facing what looks like insurmountable challenges due to distance, terrain, weak signal levels in the air and adjacent channel interference from the local (appropriately named) WHAM (real CH-13). If money and time are no object, a die hard DXer might try custom building a ganged array of Y10713's or similar DIY Yagi's. If so, there would still be no expectation of reliable reception, just the intermittent lucky 'skip' due to variable atmospheric conditions.

The situation for CBLT doesn't look much better, but one could go hunting for it if they had a capable UHF antenna such as the DB8E.

CIII (real CH-27) is possible according to the prediction shown. The DB8E mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions would be the smallest antenna I'd try.

Combining two antennas that operate in the same band (UHF in this case) is a challenge, The reversed splitter is the cheapest option, but least likely to to provide acceptable performance. The problem is that one antenna will receive what amounts to interference for the other antenna. Usually, the low levels of reflected/bounced signal will be ignored (to a degree) when only one directional antenna is used. But when the second antenna is added into the mix, much more signal from off angle directions are received, then mixed with the signals from the first antenna. This often results in less reliable reception of one or more signals that were received well by the original antenna.

I'd cable two separate antenna systems and terminate the second antenna in an axillary tuner: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2015, 4:57 PM   #3
BigDaveyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The bad news first, CHEX (real CH-12) is facing what looks like insurmountable challenges due to distance, terrain, weak signal levels in the air and adjacent channel interference from the local (appropriately named) WHAM (real CH-13). If money and time are no object, a die hard DXer might try custom building a ganged array of Y10713's or similar DIY Yagi's. If so, there would still be no expectation of reliable reception, just the intermittent lucky 'skip' due to variable atmospheric conditions.

The situation for CBLT doesn't look much better, but one could go hunting for it if they had a capable UHF antenna such as the DB8E.

CIII (real CH-27) is possible according to the prediction shown. The DB8E mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions would be the smallest antenna I'd try.

Combining two antennas that operate in the same band (UHF in this case) is a challenge, The reversed splitter is the cheapest option, but least likely to to provide acceptable performance. The problem is that one antenna will receive what amounts to interference for the other antenna. Usually, the low levels of reflected/bounced signal will be ignored (to a degree) when only one directional antenna is used. But when the second antenna is added into the mix, much more signal from off angle directions are received, then mixed with the signals from the first antenna. This often results in less reliable reception of one or more signals that were received well by the original antenna.

I'd cable two separate antenna systems and terminate the second antenna in an axillary tuner: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882
I figured as much with CHEX (it looks like a similar thing happens on Channel 11, but that is coming in from the NE).

I did receive CHEX one morning but it was probably because the tropospheric conditions were just right. I have received 11/12 on and off over the years back in the analog days (I'm talking 15-20 years ago).

Interesting point about the tuners. I suppose I could swap out some cards in my MythTV box as I still have some NTSC only cards that don't do ATSC. MythTV allows one to watch "Live TV" (as well as record programs).

During my testing, I could receive indoors with a borrowed CM 4228HD with no preamp in a southern room. I was thinking of just making a temporary mount out of PVC to put it in a north facing window.

I was just thinking out loud here.
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote