TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Feb-2013, 1:40 AM   #1
timmyssonoma

Best Preamp for my plot.

Ok here my plot... I have a wineguard 7694 antenna with an ap8700 preamp pointed torward ion channel about 355 degrees. I have 2 tv with about 60 ft of cable RG-6. I get Ion almost all the time. I also get 12.1 which is in binghamton, ny in most of the mornings... My question is... Is there another amplifier that would work better in my situation? or maybe a better antenna? I have about a 50 degree spread beween most of my channels. I know the higher the gain of the antenna the narrower the beam. Thanks for your help in advance. open to any infomation.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddac6596738eb
timmyssonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2013, 1:51 AM   #2
teleview

Is this the same location as the original thread??
Old 11-Feb-2013, 7:48 AM   #3
signals unlimited

There is no better antenna or preamp for your reception. You also have the right aim for the two near by groups of stations. The only way to add stations from other directions would be to aim a second antenna toward the desired stations or use a rotor. If stations you want to add are UHF only, you could mount and aim a high gain UHF yagi and another 8700 amplifier.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2013, 1:49 PM   #4
timmyssonoma

Ok, Im always curious... I didn't know if I got a better preamp if I would be able to pick up channel 12.1 Binghamton, ny all the time. Yesterday morning I got a alot of extra channels I don't normally get channel 34.1 and channel 68.1 out of syaracuse, ny. was thinking channelmaster 7777 or 7778 or pa-18 or cp-19
Old 11-Feb-2013, 3:56 PM   #5
signals unlimited

No amplifier change will make a noticable difference in your reception from distant stations from other directions. A rotor will!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2013, 4:12 PM   #6
elmo

Well, you can always try different combinations, especially if you aren't getting the reception you'd like. Just keep in mind, the amp doesn't extend the range of the antenna, it just does a better job of bringing the signal back to your equipment. And sometimes that's a hard line to define. So the most important thing is your antenna. And speaking of, have you tried various directions? Starting at 355 is good, but be sure to try various directions around that, from say, 285 to 355. I aim a 7694 at a similar tower scenario, about 65 degrees apart. The one to the left is LOS while to the right is 1EDGE. So given that, I aim more towards the right towers and still pick up good signals from the left. If your TV has it, check the signal strengths as you tune. You may find that +5 degrees will give you a 10% gain on the weaker towers while only losing 5% on the stronger towers.

Just to confirm, you said 12.1 - that's WHYY PBS? Based on the plot, it's very weak. That has to be coming in on a repeater, right?
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2013, 4:30 PM   #7
teleview

The following information is the ->No antenna rotator<- way to increase reception.

Antenna rotators Are Not channel surfing friendly , must wait for antenna to rotate , And their Will Be Domestic Situations about where the antenna is aimed.

For your reception situation the Easy way to increase reception of the UHF channels is to install a Bigger UHF antenna , a Channel Master CM4228HD antenna aim at about 357 degree magnetic compass direction.

And use the HD7694P antenna as a VHF reception antenna aimed at the 2 VHF stations , WBRE Real VHF channel 11 NBC and WYOU Real VHF channel 13 CBS.

Tvfool shows the REAL channel that is being received and the virtual number.

Use a UVSJ = UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner to do this.

Connect the CM4228HD to the UHF connection of the UVSJ.

Connect the HD7694P to the VHF connection of the UVSJ.

And the remaining connection of the UVSJ is connected to AP8700 preamp.

Buy the UVSJ at , http://www.solidsignal.com , Type the letters , uvsj , in the solidsignal search box.

Can also buy the CM4228HD antenna at solidsignal. Or http://www.channelmasterstore.com.
Old 11-Feb-2013, 7:58 PM   #8
timmyssonoma

Thanks elmo I wasn't sure if it was my antenna or my preamp that is my weakest link. i have tried different directions...but ion 64 is the hardest channel for me to get because it's not really broadcasting in my direction. yes it was 12.1 & 12.2 cbs and cw out of binghamton new York. Wasn't sure if a lower noise figure amp would help me any better or if i needed more antenna.