TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Oct-2011, 2:53 AM   #1
Benders

Denver channel 9?

Can't seem to get channel 9 in Lakewood, CO. I get everything else (network-wise) and it shows up when auto programming but says " no signal ". I have a Terk HDTVO Amplified HDTV Antenna, facing west, etc. Anything I'm missing?
Benders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2011, 5:14 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

It would help quite a bit if you would post a link to your TV Fool report

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2011, 5:26 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

As the other question askers do, Do This->http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4. Is this a , house , condo , apt. , mobile home , motor home or etc.?? How many tv's are/will be connected?? How many floors above the ground?? When making a radar report use your exact address and how high the antenna will be.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2011, 3:58 PM   #4
Benders

Here ya go: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5d77bd75e40

It's a 2 story, house, one tv. Thanks alot.
Benders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2011, 5:17 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

I think the problem is the amplifier and a low-gain antenna. As a start, click on channel 9's listing in your report. You'll see that you are shadowed. However, since the signal strength is so strong, you still have plenty to work with. This also applies to your other affiliates, save PBS and Telemundo. Those two channels are very strong.

I think the amplifier is the main problem. It's likely being overloaded by KRMA and KTFD and the spurious signals generated are enough to knock out 9. I recommend a modest unamplified antenna like the RCA ANT-751. You should aim a bit to the NW (303 degrees), as that's where the main channels come from, plus tilt the antenna up 10 degrees or so to point more at the top of the mountain in your way.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2011, 3:31 PM   #6
krc333

So are you saying the amplifier is overloading the signal and she should try pulling it in without that on?

I have the same issue in Thornton, I get all the major channels perfectly except channel 9. I can pull it sometimes but it's choppy at best.

I have an RCA ANT1450BM, and the amp is opitonal. I'm only about 17.7 miles from the tower, similar distant as the other major stations so I'm a little surprised I'm having an issue.

I'm in a two story and this on my upstairs TV, Sony Vega, Digital Convertor box.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b524497b6777

I'm getting ready to switch my HD Vizio over to a second RCA ANT this weekend and channel 9 is crucial for football.

Thanks for the help, dropping cable is a scary for a huge sports fan.
krc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

Check out your report versus the OP's. Notice that his top two have noise margins of over 70 dB and signal strengths of -16.5 dBm - incredibly powerful. You most powerful signals are all 20 dB or more weaker. They are still strong, but not overpoweringly so.

I believe your problem is the antenna. I am not a fan of those flat antennas, especially for VHF reception. You may have been able to use just a plain loop/ rabbit ears combination. Next up the line would be the Terk HDTVi.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benders View Post
Can't seem to get channel 9 in Lakewood, CO. I have a Terk HDTVO Amplified HDTV Antenna, facing west, etc. Anything I'm missing?
Your strongest FM station is 3.5 miles away running 91 KW ERP with a signal strength of -11 dbm. The preamplifier in the Terk antenna is overloaded. The unamplified HDTVi would be a better indoor antenna, but the ANT 751 is the right antenna to mount on the side of your house.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2011, 2:47 PM   #9
krc333

Moved my RCA antenna about three feet to the right last night and now i get all the channels perfectly clear. I also installed a second unit on my 47 inch Vizio and I get about 30 channels, plus all the major ones in HD.

I did have to connect the amp to pull NBC clearly. Overall I feel pretty lucky because I picked this antenna up for $18 on Amazon and it works great.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a great site.
krc333 is offline   Reply With Quote