TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2013, 9:02 PM   #1
dizzie

Request For Antenna Advice

Radar Plot Link - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...05599baddff87c

Hi, and thanks very much in advance for any advice! While I've done some research, I get a lot of conflicting opinions of antenna styles and models and am hoping some of you can look at my particular situation.

I'm most interested in getting the first 5 stations shown on the list at the link, plus WWBT-12, which luckily all show in green. Whether I get other stations or not is fine. However, I would like to install the antenna in my attic unless it is just not feasible that I'll get a good signal for these 6 stations. I would also like to go without a motorized rotating antenna if at all possible. I can have the antenna be pretty large if needed - even up to 10 feet by 10 feet by 5 feet perhaps. Also, all of these stations are to the south of my location. There is a half an acre or so of tall pine, oak, and maple trees that flank the south side of my yard. I guess that many of them are 30 to 40 feet high. I know that DirecTV told me that I wouldn't be able to get reception to their satellite at my home when I inquired 5 to 7 years ago and a serviceman came to my house.

All are UHF except for WWBT, as shown.

Thanks very much and feel free to ask questions. My house is brick veneer, with a siding addition on the south side. My roof is composite. Also, there are kind of two "compartments" to the attic. When the addition was done, the roof of it was attached over part of the existing roof, so you can't get from one attic to the other unless you crawl through a hole in the old roof to the new attic. The house is wired for cable. I currently have Verizon fios internet and TV. Will using the existing cables for OTA TV signals interfere with my internet service (fiber) that goes through the cable to my modem? I'm not sure how many splitters there are throughout the home. I have a hunch that the wiring in the addition was split off of existing wiring, not brought in from the source, if that makes sense. The reason I say that is that I believe that Verizon had to increase the signal strength for the cable box in the addition.

Again, THANK YOU!!! And, sorry for writing a book.
dizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2013, 5:31 AM   #2
teleview

As always , attics and the inside of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

Multi-path reflections signals bouncing all around , absorbing , blocking , Broadcast Tv reception.

That said , the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels reception in the Green and Yellow reception zones are Strong Signal Strength at your location.

However the trees will reduce signal strength and cause multi-path reflections and the antenna in the attic does not help.

Even so , start with a Winegard HD7694P antenna in the attic.

Aim the HD7694P antenna at about 193 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

My Real recommendation is a Winegard HD7696P antenna , however Winegard has done the Stupid Move of discontinuing the HD7696P antenna.

It's a real head shaker and eye blinker of the stupidity , discontinuing the HD7696P.

If you can find a HD7696P antenna on the internet somewhere then use the HD7696P antenna.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

If there are reception issues that are not resolvable by adjusting antenna aim and location in the attic then move/install the , HD7696P / HD7694P , antenna to Above The Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception to the , south west , south , south east , east north.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. Use the 5 foot tripod antenna mount , ronard (911) .

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Use the , ronard (4560) , eave antenna mount .

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html. Measure the chimney and use a , ronard (2212) , ronard (2218) , ronard (2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing , ronard (x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

http://www.ronard.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative effect on Broadcast Tv reception with a Tv antenna , multi-path/reflections , absorbing , blocking , Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The Best Practice is to install a antenna in such a manner that there little obstructions to no obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 10-Jul-2013 at 2:45 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 9-Jul-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
teleview

Of the antennas.

HD7694P.

HD7695P.

HD7696P.

HD7697P.

HD7698P.

The HD7695P.

and

HD7697P.

Are 'fill in' antennas that 'bulk out' the line of antennas.

Winegard is discontinuing the HD7695P antenna , and that is good.

The HD7697P should also be discontinued , not the HD7696P antenna.

With the HD7695P antenna and HD7697P antennas discontinued.

Then the HD76XXP product line , will have steps of reception ablilty.

The steps of reception ability that are Correct.

HD7694P.

then

HD7696P.

then

HD7698P.

I sent Winegard all this information and more .

Winegard called me and we had a long talk about antennas that can be discontinued and antennas that Should Be Continued.

I see at the Winegard web site that the HD7696P antenna is still listed as discontinued. 07-09-2013.

And the HD7697P antenna is being continued.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Aug-2013 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Aug-2013, 6:01 PM   #4
dizzie

Special (if belated) thanks to teleview for their expert advice! I truly appreciate your having taken time to read and understand the details of my situation and apply your specialized knowledge. Thanks also for the background info on various models. I could not find the 7696 for sale, unfortunately, as expected.

I do have a question before I purchase my antenna - what seems to be the problem with Winegard models 7695 and 7697? If I were willing to spend the extra money, would it be good to purchase the 7697 instead of the 7694 so as to get a stronger signal?

Thanks again for any further advice!
Old 26-Aug-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
teleview

No problems with the HD7695P and HD7697P antennas.

Winegard is/has discontinued antennas across the product lines of all the antennas that Winegard sells.

I have stated the reason/s for the HD769x series antennas.

The HD769X series antenna are top heavy now with the , HD7697P and HD7698P and light with the HD7694P as a lesser reception antenna.

I recommed install a HD7697P antenna above the roof.
Old 27-Aug-2013, 6:42 PM   #6
dizzie

Oh, I see. When you stated that "The HD7697P should also be discontinued", I thought that there was some problem with it. Now I understand that there is need for a more mid-size antenna in the Winegard lineup, rather than just very small and large ones.

Do you not recommend the 7697 for attics because of its large size or is it for another reason?

Thanks