TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
donebu

Multidirectional HDTV Antenna help

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...bc27f9950e63b3

I'm looking for help on an antenna setup that solves my problem being between two TV markets, Biloxi and Mobile in nearly opposite directions. I have a VHF/UHF mid-range antenna on a 40 foot mast with a rotor. Since it goes to multiple TVs I'd like to have a more multidirectional antenna and not use the rotor except for fine tuning. The two Fox stations ( 10.1 and 25.1) give the most trouble with reception on one directional setting.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
donebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2010, 1:06 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

The http://www.winegarddirect.comMS2000 is a industry standard omnidirectional ufo antenna. I will state this as clearly as I can. An omnidirectional antenna is not a magic antenna. Omnidirectional antennas do not reject multipath reflected Tv signals. To much multipath will make a digital tv tuner reject the signal and the picture will break up or go blank. Also omnidirectional antennas are not truly omni. You may need to turn the antenna to receive all the channels you will like. Then once the antenna is adj. / set in position it should be ok. Even so , the results are often disapointing with a omnidirectional antenna. With omnidirectional antennas the Only Way to find out if the antenna will work or not is to put one up. I am always hesitant to suggest a omni antenna because people are drawn to them like iron to a magnet , this sets off a chain reaction and other people go nuts , and next thing ya know ya got a bunch of crazy people that are chanting , Omni , Omni , Omni , Omni , Omni , Omni , Omni

Last edited by teleview; 25-Apr-2010 at 8:04 PM. Reason: Spellings corrections and up date and clarify information.
Old 25-Apr-2010, 8:56 AM   #3
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Can do it this way. Two separate antennas pointed in two separate directions with two separate coax wirings through out the house , with remote control A/B switches at each Tv.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Apr-2010 at 7:42 PM.
Old 25-Apr-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
kb2fzq

Have you tried pointing the antenna at 10.1 and see if 25.1 comes in off the back of the antenna? You might have to tweek the antenna positioning to get a sweet spot for both stations.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2010, 2:23 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

I think he has tried that, so the only other thing to try is something like a bowtie array without a reflecting screen. I've pointed out a site that has design details ( http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html) in other threads. My concern in this situation is having enough gain for RF 9 (Fox 10.1). I'd suggest putting a prototype together to test before going all out.

Another idea would be getting a VHF-only antenna for RF 9 and combine it with a USVJ. This would work only if you can make all the other channels work at the same time.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2010, 4:06 PM   #6
donebu

Re: Multidirectional HDTV Antenna help

No, 25.1 often doesn't come in when pointed at 10.1. Also have too many TVs for a dual coax run with A/B switcher at each outlet.

Instead of a omni-directional antenna, I think I need something more bi-directional, because our main reception areas are nearly 180 degrees apart. The existing antenna is whatever Lowes had (about the size and configuration of a Channel Master CM 3679 Ultra Hi-Crossfire HDTV Antenna ) and is pretty directional.

Thanks for the link to the DIY bowtie site, I'll have to look whether I'll go with DIY or try something like the Antennas Direct DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
donebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2010, 4:15 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebu View Post

Thanks for the link to the DIY bowtie site, I'll have to look whether I'll go with DIY or try something like the Antennas Direct DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna.
The word multidirectional is confusing you. The DB8 is not actually a multidirectional antenna, even thought it's called that by the manufacturer.

Make a bow tie antenna without a reflector screen. That's what Dave suggested too.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote