TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Oct-2018, 6:31 PM   #1
Styx555

Will a basement antenna work?

Hi, here is my analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038bf99a81202

My question is: I want to run my antenna right into my main cable line (so all cable outputs in the house get a signal). My input comes into the basement. Will I be able to pick up the green channels (i.e. CTV and CBC mostly) with a basement install.

Also, any suggestions on the best antenna for this?

Thanks!
Styx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Oct-2018, 7:58 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello, Styx555

A basement antenna sometimes works, but it is the worst location. Why does it have to be in the basement?

Are you trying to combine antenna channels with cable channels, or will the coax be only for antenna channels?
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Oct-2018, 9:47 PM   #3
Styx555

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, Styx555

A basement antenna sometimes works, but it is the worst location. Why does it have to be in the basement?

Are you trying to combine antenna channels with cable channels, or will the coax be only for antenna channels?

Thanks for the reply. I'm cutting cable entirely, and want to have access to antenna channels on all TVs. I thought the best option would be a satellite in the basement where the cable comes in.

I also have access to the cable box on the side of the house, so can connect to that, however would prefer not to mount to the roof of the house. Would you have a suggestion for something I could mount outside to a window or on top of my shed?
Styx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Oct-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Statmanmi

Soffit mount?

Hello Styx555,

Is the existing cable box on the gable end of your home, such that you could use an eave mount, as shown as you page down on this Canadian retailer's site:

http://overtheair.saveandreplay.ca/OTA_Mounts.asp

Or, searching around on the Internet might give you some further ideas on how to soffit-mount a regular J-pole for the antenna--if your concern is to not lag screw into the roof's shingles.

There's actually a soffit-specific mount available from this Detroit-area source:

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...iABEgJBx_D_BwE

~~~~~~~

Regarding an antenna suggestion, with your signals coming from two different directions almost across from one another, I'll suggest that I'm liking the Antennas Direct ClearStream offerings.

The ClearStream 2 MAX is their current model, and takes no assembly (so I've read--I've not touched one myself). You wouldn't need the 4 MAX, per the signal strengths estimated by TVFool.

The prior model (ClearStream 2V) still can be had online, usually at an economical price. Make sure you get the 2V and not just the 2 model if you go this route, since for CJOH-DT (CTV) you need the VHF dipole (the long, single element).

I'd also mention to not be too concerned about buying "open box" or similar not-quite-new offerings with antennas. My experience has been they're in functional shape, as consumers not doing their research (with TVFool and other sites) have tried to use them, and quickly move on as they try something else. You're in such great shape being so close to the towers that pretty much anything not obstructed too much by trees or buildings should work out well.

Cheers!
Statmanmi
Statmanmi is offline   Reply With Quote