TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2013, 1:39 AM   #1
dbressan

small-ish outside condo antenna

Hello!
First off I just came accross your website, this is a great service, thanks!

I rent a second floor condo, and think the best I could do is an indoor antenna, or something on my patio.

Tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aecca331e018

As you can see most of the channels are straight north or straight south. My patio faces north but with two more condo buildings right in front of it. I have a Mohu Leaf and can pick up a good amount of channels just inside with it. I would really like to pick up NBC (9-1) and can if I put it outside.

So I figure if I can spend ~$50 and get something outside (that can get 9-1 and others), I'm all for it.

I've heard really good things about the ANT751.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Qua.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Or should I get a multidirectional antenna because I have no view south? Like the ANT800F?
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT800F-Di.../dp/B001VYTCDK

Obviously the end goal is to get as many channels without too much obstruction with a giant antenna. Something I can mount upside down on the top of the patio would be nice.

Please let me know if any more information would help.
Thanks!
Daniel -
dbressan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2013, 9:12 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The ANT-751 is the best of those you've cited when trying to receive High-VHF channels (real channels 7 through 13).

Your results are going to depend on how much signal is lost and interfered with due to the obstruction of your southern view. Do you have a window with a southern view?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2013, 9:20 PM   #3
dbressan

Great thanks.
I'll still be able to pick up the UHF and at least most of the stuff I still get with the leaf right? I figure the leaf must be pretty weak, and the ANT-751 should be able to get everything it does plus some.

Unfortunately there's nothing pointing south. It's just another condo attached the same building.

So with the ANT-751, would I want to try and point it south? Back inside the building? Or would that be useless?
Old 18-Sep-2013, 9:40 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Yes, the ANT-751 covers both UHF and H-VHF real channels. The Leaf lacks meaningful support of real H-VHF reception.

Try running a cable (not longer than 50') from the ANT-751 to just one TV. Walk the antenna around, exploring for the best location and aim. The building you're in and those around you make it impossible to know what aim point or mounting location will produce the best results.

If your TV is like most, it may need to be rescanned each time you try a new location or aim. This can require a lot of patience. I believe it will pay off though.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Sep-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
dbressan

Excellent! Thanks!