TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2010, 3:20 PM   #1
baba

Please Help with Antenna

Thank you for checking my question.

I just canceled my Dish Network 2 days ago (tight on budget) and I'm using the Zenith DTT901 Digital converter box. I get 18 channels in total but would like to invest in a very good antenna to get more.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c839644ca81e

I would really appreciate if you can guide me.
Thanks in advance
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2010, 8:35 PM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

What are you using for an antenna now? And with the 18 channels that you're getting, how far down the list in your tvfool report are you getting (in other words, what's the weakest channel you are able to successfully receive)?
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
baba

Thank you

I'm using right now this antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1250-Am.../dp/B000063SNE

for the list of the channels I have

DTV 5-1 WLWT-HD
DTV 5-2 WLWT-WX
DTV 9-1 WCPO-HD
DTV 9-2 WCPO-SD
DTV 12-1 WKRC-DT
DTV 12-2 CINCW
DTV 14-1 14HD
DTV 14-2 14PRIME
DTV14-3 14LEARN
DTV 14-4 14WORLD
DTV 14-5 14DT
DTV 19-1 WXIX-DT
DTV 19-2 THIS-TV
DTV 43-1 weak signal (no signal)
DTV 43-2 weak signal
DTV 43-3 weak signal
DTV 43-4 weak signal
DTV 43-5 weak signal
DTV 48-1 CET-HD
DTV 48-2 CREATE
DTV 48-3 CETARTS
DTV 64-1 WSTR-DT

End of list

I appreciate.
Old 28-Feb-2010, 6:05 AM   #4
baba

Can anybody help please!
Old 28-Feb-2010, 9:15 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

If you're willing to build something, or assemble pre-made parts, try the 9.5 by 9 design (no reflector needed) described at http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html . This would work in the attic or outside. The moderator has some good ideas about commercial antennas.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2010, 6:18 PM   #6
mtownsend

It looks like you have no problem picking up the Cincinnati stations. To get more, you're looking at trying to pick up Dayton stations. This is very doable, but the transmitters are coming from two different directions. Most of the transmitters are in two distinct groups that are separated by 90 degrees. The Dayton channels are also further away and weaker. You will need at least an attic or rooftop antenna (bigger antenna and less building loss) to get them reliably. There are no indoor "set-top" antenna solutions that will get you more than what you're seeing now.

You mentioned that you're on a budget, but are you ready to invest in an attic or rooftop antenna?

The 90 degree separation between the channel groupings means you can't really have just one antenna and have it point to both sets of stations at the same time. To avoid the cost and hassle of an antenna rotator, you would ideally want to come up with a solution that lets you get both sets of stations without re-pointing your antenna.

I think your best chance at success is to go with something like an Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P in your attic or on the roof, pointed at the Dayton stations (compass heading 32 degrees). Fortunately, your Cincinnati stations are so close and so strong that they will probably be picked up just fine even though your antenna is pointed at Dayton.

Do no use any kind of amp. The Cincinnati stations are too strong for almost any kind of amp and will most likely cause them to overload. You will have to make do without an amp. With either of the two antenna mentioned above, I think you'll be fine.
Old 1-Mar-2010, 5:21 AM   #7
baba

Thumbs up

Thank you Dave and thank you very much mtownsend for your good advice.

My DishNetwork bill used to be around $100. now that I cancelled it, I dont mind buying a good antenna (it will pay in 2 or even 3 months). one good investment for a long time!

I followed your recommendation and found this antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD820...ef=pd_sim_e_11

what you think? and if you have in mind a much better antenna than this, please let me know. I'm ready for a good investment!

Thanks again for your time!
Old 1-Mar-2010, 9:20 AM   #8
mtownsend

The Winegard HD8200U is a very large antenna (it's over 14 feet long and 9 feet wide). Most people do not have enough room in their attic for an antenna this big plus some room to play around with positioning it. For most cases, this is more realistically a rooftop antenna. You should also consider the weight, wind resistance, and snow / ice accumulation on the antenna.

Furthermore, with something this big, I highly recommend having a friend or two come over to help install it. When antennas are this big, it really helps to have extra sets of hands to deal with the size and weight of the assembled structure. Keep in mind that an average person's fully extended arm span is only about 6 feet, so you can imagine how hard it can be for one person to maneuver a 14 foot by 9 foot antenna.

The HD8200U is one of the better antennas out there, but I believe you can get good results with something smaller.

For rooftop installation, I estimate that a Winegard HD7694P ought to be good enough. For attic installation, you might want to go up one size (to an HD7695P) to make up for the added signal loss due to building penetration. It's up to you if you want to go bigger than that.
Old 1-Mar-2010, 4:34 PM   #9
baba

Thumbs up

I got the lesson. like you said, I will go with the HD7695P. I will let you know the results.

By the way, I got a referral to TVFOOL from a reviewer on Amazon. the person recommended every body to check with you guys before buying an antenna and said you are very helpful. it's true. thanks a lot for the help.