TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-May-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
keithhe

Manassas, Virginia OTA

Hey folks,

On behalf of a friend of mine that is following my lead to cut the cable, his radar is here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda6ceb1427c8

Ideal for this location is attic mount above his garage at 12' elevation. Attic is plenty large enough for even a conventional antenna. Coaxial would be RG-6 quad shield at under 20 feet to single TV distribution amp.

His NM(db) numbers are very good and really want all in green only.

What antenna would you folks recommend for an attic installation and these numbers? Again, the attic is large enough to fit a reasonably large antenna without issue.

Conventional type or a bow tie type with enough gain to make up for some of the penetration loss??

Thanks,
keithhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2013, 1:24 AM   #2
teleview

Attics and the inside of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.
The negative effects of , multi-path/reflections signals bouncing all around , absorbing , blocking , Tv reception.

That said , Yes reliable reception can happen in the attic.

However that does not mean that attics and the inside of buildings are a reception friendly environment.

The signal strengths of the Main Groups of Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels to the north east are moderate to strong signal strengths.

Yes start with a Winegard HD7696P antenna in the attic aimed at about 66 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Try reception without and with the distribution amplifier.

The antenna , and cable system delivered services cannot be connected onto a same coax at the same time.

Yes the coaxes that are in or on the building can be used for the antenna system , however any cable delivered services can not be connected to those coaxes.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a negative effect on reception.
Multi-path/reflection , absorbing , blocking , Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

The best practice is to install a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' ~ 'Aantenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.
Old 14-May-2013, 2:09 AM   #3
No static at all

My minimum recommendation would be the Antennacraft HBU-33 in the attic. I am assuming the garage doesn't have aluminum siding? Unfortunately attic reception is very unpredictable & may require trying many different locations around the attic to find a good spot where all of the desired channels are reliable. If mounted outside in the clear, something as small as a Clearstream c-2V or RCA ANT 751 would do the trick.

I recently put an RCA ANT 751 at a friends restaurant across from Westgate shopping center in Manassas. The TV FOOL report is a bit worse than your friends, but reception is near perfect. An occasional glitch due to low aircraft approaching Dulles airport seems to be the culprit. We spent about 1 hour trying different spots above the drop ceiling before finding a sweet spot.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2013, 2:03 PM   #4
keithhe

Thanks Teleview and No Static for the thoughtful recommendations on behalf of my friends. I'll pass this along and give them a hand on installation.
Old 18-May-2013, 2:18 PM   #5
keithhe

No Static and Teleview,

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks on behalf of my friends. They decided to go with the Clearstream C-2V outside, per recommendations here and a lot of discussion. It went up Thursday and they could not believe how well it worked. 49 channels of which about 30 or so are English and useful.

They are quite happy, and I thought I'd pass that along.