TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Nov-2013, 2:46 AM   #21
teleview

+=>
-------
Please do not get up on the roof and fall off.

Ask around , I am sure you will find some one that is up on roofs with no problem.

The ANT751 is Light Weight and easy to install , the J pole type mount. 2 Screws will hold the antenna in place.

Even a roofer that installs roofs on houses can install this simple antenna.

Handy Man , guys and gals are often up on roofs.

Heating and air conditioning guys and gals are often up on roofs.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Nov-2013 at 3:15 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Nov-2013, 3:10 AM   #22
teleview

+=>
-------
The December 2013 Consumer Reports , page 42 , has a to the point easy to understand artical about , Internet Streaming Media Players and recommendations , Internet Tv services such as , Netflix and Hulu+ , are Low Dollars and have a lot of Programing.
Old 27-Nov-2013, 3:33 AM   #23
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGuy View Post
OK I will likely do as you say teleview but I am very uncomfortable at heights. I was going to pay an installer but I can not find one.
A quick google search turned up one in Thornton. I don't know what the policy is here for posting links to businesses like that, so I won't test it, but you can search on 'Berthoud CO tv antenna installer' will get you the same results.

But a roofer would probably be just as capable of mounting a J-pole and antenna, as long as you're doing the wiring.

Just make sure whomever you hire, assuming you do hire someone, has insurance including and especially worker's comp.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2013, 4:28 AM   #24
teleview

I do antenna installs and a lot more and have for many , many , many , many , many , many , years , and I do not have insurance or workers comp. .

Many people do odd jobs on the side or are retired and stay busy doing what make them happy and do not have insurance or workers comp. .

It is the way life is , we do what we do.

------------

There was a time when I did research to recommend Tv antenna installers.

I stopped doing it.

Why??

To many reports of "tv antenna installers" installing wrong antennas and or selling people on the Cheap China Junk antennas and outright ripping people off.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Nov-2013 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Clarify information and reports.
Old 27-Nov-2013, 8:28 AM   #25
StephanieS

This is a really important point.

If you are going to tackle an antenna install on your roof by yourself, make sure you have the tools, comfort level and knowledge to not fall off. Those of us in more northern states can vouch that rooves with a steep incline can be especially prone to danger. One wrong shift of your weight at 25' above ground, and a chain reaction may ensue.

My roof is the steepest I've ever worked on. Each step I make I have to consciously be aware of my weight and balance.

Hiring an installer sounds like the right move for you. If you have any question or are queasy going up, don't even try. Hire the job out.

SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-------
Please do not get up on the roof and fall off.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2013, 2:31 PM   #26
FunGuy

Wow thanks everyone for your good advice and concerns. Tom I believe the installer in Thornton is the one I tried to contact. He says that an installation is not worth it for him to come up this far north. I should be OK If I go up there I will be cautious. I am going to look some more for an installer maybe a dish installer. I want to be sure that the antenna is properly grounded also which is big part of my hesitation. I am not sure how to install the arrestor.

I didn't mean to throw up such a red flag. Thanks again all for your concern and advice. I can do this I just won't like it
FunGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:20 PM   #27
FunGuy

OK good folks. I put the antenna in the attic. I have ordered the 75 ohm lightning arrestor but it was just too easy to put in the attic. I found wires ready for hook-up there. I could not find anyone in the satellite dish or similar work in this area that would install the antenna on the roof for me. Maybe in the spring I will put it up on the roof. For now I am satisfied. JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE with Comcast. They are diconnected!!!

I hope I will keep my plan to re-locate to the roof but you all know how those plans can get lost to the staus quo.

Thanks everybody. Really........Thanks and Happy Holidays
Old 29-Nov-2013, 7:36 PM   #28
teleview

If you - were - like most people that are paying $100.00 a month for cable or satellite , you now have $1200.00 more a year in your pocket.

And Yes you can install the antenna above the roof at a later date , now that you see how really easy it will be.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 8:23 PM   #29
FunGuy

I had basic so my savings will be lower. Started out about 25 years ago paying $10 per month. Has gone up to $27 now plus they took away discover and the aforementioned degradation in signal and such. I will put that $325 to much better use getting ready for my retirement in a few short years.

I feel like knocking on my neighbors doors to tell them to get rid of cable and dish but they probably like the stuff on TV or want 10 sports channels.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 9:50 PM   #30
teleview

+=>
-------
If the antenna is above the roof in plain sight for best reception.

The neighbors will be asking you about the Tv reception and you can show them all the channels and the clear pictures.

It is Great Fun and Pride to show it all.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 11:45 PM   #31
FunGuy

Hah, one more incentive to move it up to the roof next spring! I have to admit I am feeling down right smart about this. I probably need to run over the garbage can or something to get my ego back in line.

Last edited by FunGuy; 4-Dec-2013 at 1:23 AM.
Old 30-Nov-2013, 12:01 AM   #32
teleview

Thank you

A smile to my face and a happy laugh.

A good kind of pride is Ok.