TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Dec-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
rekop123

Just the basics

I have some coax cable around the perimeter of the roof left over from Direct TV installation. I would like to get reception from the major networks, NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX. Not too concerned with any other channels. Any help with antenna,amps or anything else I would need for good reception would be greatly appreciated. TVfool report follows: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038c80f08b338

Thank you
rekop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2018, 2:30 PM   #2
jrgagne99

This is a tough one. The Bakersfield signals (NBC and FOX in particular) are very weak at your location. You'll need to be as high as you can and be well clear of all trees to even have a chance at those weaker ones. You probably need to be willing to experiment a bit, ans success is by no means guaranteed. That said, I see three options, listed below in terms of odds of success of pulling in all 4 major networks for you:

To have your best chance at receiving all 4 from Bakersfield, I recommend an 8-bay such as the DB8e or HDB8X aimed SSE at 160-degrees true. This is for the UHF stations (CBS on RF-33, NBC on RF-25, and FOX on RF-29 (KBFX)). For ABC, which is on VHF (RF-10), you will need a Stellar Labs 30-2476 or possibly get away with its little brother, the 30-2475. You'll want to combine your UHF and VHF feeds into one downlead. I suggest a mast-mounted preamp such as the RCA TVPRAMP1Z/R which will both combine and amplify.

Another option would be to try a Winegard 7698P. It has very good UHF and VHF gains, though in my experience the UHF is not quite as good as an 8-bay, which is why i suggested the 8-bay first because your signals are so weak. The 7698P has the advantage of being a single antenna (albeit a "big" one) with both UHF and VHF instead of using two separate rigs. The mast-mounted pre-amp recommendation is still valid.

Yet another option would be a Clearstream 4 Max aimed north at 9-degrees. This has a chance of pulling in FOX (KMPH, RF-28 from Visalia, not Bakersfield) on the front, and the stronger UHF stations from Bakersfield (e.g. CBS (RF-33)) on the back. I doubt it will get NBC from Bakersfield though i could be wrong... It also has a slight chance of pulling in ABC from Bakersfield on the single VHF-dipole element of that unit. Again, the pre-amp recommendation holds. If the VHF dipole is ineffective, it could also be coupled to a 2475/6 using the RCA preamp.

Whatever you choose, start simple with short coax lengths (preferably new RG-6, <50-ft long) and one TV. It helps to have a buddy at the TV watching the reception to help you aim. Don't worry out the distribution problem (adding multiple TVs) until you figure out the reception problem first. Ground your antenna and mast and be CAREFUL of nearby electrical wires when on the roof.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 20-Dec-2018 at 2:35 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
rekop123

Thank you so much for all the information you've put together for me. I know that you must have spent a lot of your time to do such an extensive list and it is very much appreciated. Im going to go through and check prices on the different scenarios you have suggested and I'll let you know what works. Thanks again.
Old 21-Dec-2018, 3:37 PM   #4
rickbb

I agree with JR, you're going to have to work hard and have some luck getting all 4.

Roof mounted as high as you can with no trees or building in the path to the towers will help. But it's still a hard place to be.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2018, 3:45 PM   #5
jrgagne99

You also might need to walk the roof and adjust antenna height to find a sweetspot. A foot or two up/down left/right can make quite a difference when dealing with weak signals. And don't forget to wear all your good luck charms.
Old 22-Dec-2018, 1:29 AM   #6
rekop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
You also might need to walk the roof and adjust antenna height to find a sweetspot. A foot or two up/down left/right can make quite a difference when dealing with weak signals. And don't forget to wear all your good luck charms.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 22-Dec-2018, 1:36 AM   #7
rekop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I agree with JR, you're going to have to work hard and have some luck getting all 4.

Roof mounted as high as you can with no trees or building in the path to the towers will help. But it's still a hard place to be.
Thank you for your reply. When you say mount the antenna high, how high are we talking and could you recommend an inexpensive material to reach those heights? Thanks
Old 22-Dec-2018, 4:18 PM   #8
jrgagne99

With big antennas like that, you likely can't go much more than 6' high. Maybe 8', and that would be using a nice strong tripod setup. Those screw into the roof though, and you probably don't want to do that until you find your sweetspot (if it even exists). I recommend rigging up something on a temporary/portable stand that you can use to "walk the roof" and find your sweetspot. Allowing for up/down adjustability is good on that. When you've confirmed good signal at that chosen location over a period of days or weeks, you might build up enough confidence to mount the tripod there permanently. Depending on which antenna you choose, going much over 6-feet would likely require guy wires, especially if you get a lot of winds. Antenna mast rods are available on solidsignal.com, and also probably amazon, etc.