TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jan-2013, 9:37 PM   #1
Alan909

???Winegard Chromstar 2000 AP8275???

I am new to all this so bare with me...I have visited TV Fools site for distance and signal directions, plus possible channels...My problem is, I live around 30 miles southeast from Erie in the country, surrounded by hills and told by neighbers we get extremely poor reception if get any at all(my zip code is 16407)...Being stubborn as I am, I bought a new "Winegard HD7084P" antenna and put it on a test pole about 12 ft and to my surprise, I have 4 differant channels(hoping to get more) and some pixation on one of the channels...with that, I plan on raising my antenna to 25ft, with 50ft RG-6 cable with a rotor...MY MAIN QUESTION IS>>>I did so much reasearch on PreAmps and read so many reviews, I got a headache, lol...but like to know the pro's and cons of the Winegard Chromstar 2000 AP8275 if any good...OR...can someone recommend a real decent preamp...
Alan909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It would help a great deal if you would post a link to your TV Fool report.

There are several good preamps available, some are designed to handle strong signals some are not. With a look at your TVFR, we can help you select the type that will match your conditions.

That said, the AP8275 is slightly noisier than some other options and a bit easier to overload. Still, it's a capable option in weak signal applications (but avoid it if you have one or more strong signal present). The Antennas Direct CPA-19 is almost always one of the right choices given it's low noise and ability to handle stronger signal levels.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Jan-2013 at 10:16 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2013, 2:08 AM   #3
Alan909

Question Need Help With My TVFR(preamp gain)???

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda9952082736

My NM(dB) is horrible..Here is a link above of my TVFR and was wondering what preamplifier db gain would be best for me to use...I am using only a 50 ft RG-6 cable with no splitters directly hooked to one TV...Also thinking about using the Antenna Direct 20DB Variable Attenuator 1296F to prevent overload on channel 12...Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 25-Jan-2013, 2:34 AM   #4
Alan909

Here is my TVFR...My NA(dB)'s are horrible...I do get channels "12.(1.2.3)" and 24.1 and "35.1.2" even though they are in the minus NA(dB)'s...Hoping to get channels 50(-9.9na.db), 66(-16.1na.db), 32(-23.3na.db), and 43(-30.3na.db) if possible, or am I dreaming, lol...
Old 25-Jan-2013, 6:35 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Thanks for posting the link.

When you click on the call sign of a given signal you are presented with a view of the path profile, a representation of the terrain between the transmitter on the left and your location on the right. It looks as if you have a significant hill or even mountain within a few miles of your location.

Reliable reception begins at the antenna, it's performance and placement. Can you consider mounting the antenna higher? You can run additional reports at heights as high as 500' to see if signal conditions improve.

Based on the numbers shown so far, the AP8275 would be a very good option. The Antennas Direct PA-18 has better noise performance and the Kitztech KT-200 has even better. But, no amplifier will 'pull' signal from an antenna or out of the air. It's only able to 'push' signal through the losses in cable, splitter and tuner on the output side of the amp.
Old 25-Jan-2013, 6:45 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan909 View Post

My NM(dB) is horrible..Here is a link above of my TVFR and was wondering what preamplifier db gain would be best for me to use...I am using only a 50 ft RG-6 cable with no splitters directly hooked to one TV...Also thinking about using the Antenna Direct 20DB Variable Attenuator 1296F to prevent overload on channel 12...Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
You're not at risk of overloading any decent preamp. You don't need the attenuator. 50' of RG-6 will have about 3 dB loss, so you don't need a great deal of gain. A PA-18 with 15 to 18 dB gain would be plenty, you would have all the gain needed to drive the coax, nullify the tuner noise figure and leave you the option to add a splitter in the future.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Jan-2013 at 6:48 AM.
Old 25-Jan-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
No static at all

I agree that the 8275 is a good choice. I have used it in 2 different near fringe scenarios with excellent results.

You've got a good shot @ channels 66 & 50, but will need to experiment with different heights & mounting locations to find a sweet spot. Channels 32 & 43 are just too far away for reliable reception 24/7.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jan-2013, 7:39 PM   #8
Alan909

10G222 PreAmp Question

My wish list is growing and always make it a habit to both check reviews and forums for those who has used a product before I make my orders...Not having much luck finding reviews for this item so here I am...MY QUESTION IS >>>"Does anyone have some feedback from using the 10G222 PreAmp"<<<