TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2015, 3:35 PM   #1
Billbert

NW Denver HDTV recption experience

We're moving into a new house soon and are planning on OTA TV as a key element in our cable cutting program. We're in Broomfield and although only ~ 12 miles from the Lookout Mountain HD tower, we're in a low lying area (108th & Simms) with no direct line of site. Our signal map is here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03054009d99

I'm planning on an attic antenna (15' elelvation) and there is a new run of coax from the attic to the home run box in the basement (25-30'). From there it will be split to 2 - 3 rooms in the house (another 20').

Question: Does anybody have experience with antenna selection from non-line of sight locations that are this close to the source? Per the signal analysis, there should be enough signal to pick up the locals, (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) which is all we need.

Any suggestions as to antenna selection? Amplification? I'd rather not go through several attempts at getting an appropriate configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Billbert in Broomfield
Billbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2015, 8:05 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Any suggestions as to antenna selection? Amplification? I'd rather not go through several attempts at getting an appropriate configuration.
You signals are not very good and an attic location has unknown losses.

Your expectations are not realistic.

If you are not willing to spend some time and money on antenna experiments, we will not be able to help you.

Quote:
Question: Does anybody have experience with antenna selection from non-line of sight locations that are this close to the source?
I have been helping people as an unpaid volunteer with their antenna reception problems for 7 years on 4 forums and have a lot of positive feedback.

Last edited by rabbit73; 8-Jul-2015 at 8:16 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2015, 8:15 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

After locating your subdivision, I don't think your conditions are all that severe (as long as the dam holds....). You're only about 75-150' below the blocking ridge about .3 to .5 mile away. Since you're only ~1° below the main lobe of the transmitter's beam, your signal powers will be very strong in your area, at least on the ridgeline to your south. This is one time I'm way more optimistic than rabbit73. Hey, NO TREES!

A modest UHF/high-VHF antenna should work fine. You'll very likely need to be patient about locating a final install point. You *might* need to go rooftop.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with something as small as a ClearStream 2V with a four-port distribution amplifier located in the basement.

Good luck!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 8-Jul-2015 at 8:24 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2015, 1:33 PM   #4
Billbert

Thanks Rabbit and ADTech for your timely review and analysis. This is the advise I was looking for and why I posted.

Rabbit, I'm willing to experiment but was hoping somebody on this forum had experience with a signal profile like mine. I'm absolutely willing to cut and try different solutions but was hoping somebody had already been down a similar path.

ADTech, I'll start with the ClearStream 2V into one TV and see what I pick up. As you said, no trees. The foof is composit shingles so I don't know what the loss is from that. I'll be pretty busy moving in and won't have too much time to experiment until mid-Aug but I'll do a post with results when I get around to it.

Thanks for the info. This forum is really helpful.

Billbert
Old 10-Jul-2015, 3:20 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
This is one time I'm way more optimistic than rabbit73.
Thanks for the backup. I shouldn't make any posts right after an argument with my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbert View Post
Rabbit, I'm willing to experiment but was hoping somebody on this forum had experience with a signal profile like mine. I'm absolutely willing to cut and try different solutions but was hoping somebody had already been down a similar path.
Good; we will try to help you as best we can.
Quote:
I'll be pretty busy moving in and won't have too much time to experiment
Understood.

Does your TV have a signal strength indicator to help you find the best location for your antenna?

I like the Diagnostics Screen on my Sony KDL22L5000 TV that shows relative signal strength, and signal quality as defined by SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) and uncorrected errors.

bad signal; picture freeze, low SNR of 13 (should be > 15 dB), and high errors:

good signal:

My newer Sony 32R400A has a wider range signal strength scale with one dB steps; excellent for antenna experiments. It is also able to add a new channel after scan, so it isn't necessary to rescan after changing directions or antennas. I made a calibration chart of the signal strength scale with my Sadelco signal level meter that shows dBm values as listed on the TVFOOL report. See attachment 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SonySigBad_1.jpg (159.7 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg SonySigGood_1.jpg (120.5 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg SSCHART KDL32R400A.JPG (118.4 KB, 421 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-Jul-2015 at 10:04 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2015, 3:58 PM   #6
Billbert

Rabbit,

I know my old 40" Sony Bravia doesn't, nor does the new 65" LG 4K. I have a 1 year old Visio 45" and a small Samsung that are both in storage so I don't know about their feature set. Will check them all out when they come out of storage and if one of them is featured with it, I'll use it for aiming asistance.

Fingers crossed. Hoping ADTech's optomisim is warranted.

More later,

Billbert