TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Sep-2017, 6:32 PM   #21
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I don't see 6-1 or -2 listed on my tvfool report, though it is Global and I'm pretty sure out of Toronto,
Hamilton/Kitchner area. TVFool database has it incorrectly listed as virtual channel "17.1".

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...93252000&map=Y

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2017, 1:05 PM   #22
JoeAZ

The main Global transmitter is located in Paris, Ontario.
There are translators for Hamilton/Toronto
as well as the Niagara Peninsula.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2017, 9:54 PM   #23
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
Side q, where did you use to get the first image with the tower directions from my location?
The TVFool Interactive TV Coverage Browser
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2017, 1:33 AM   #24
mikecandu

Hi

Looks like you are mostly getting local stations

6-1 global paris HD
6-2 global Paris SD
11-1 CHCH hamilton
13-1 (CTV) Kitchener
28-1 Tvo Kitchener-Waterloo
36-1 Christian station hamilton

Put your antenna up on a Jpole with your amp, point it towards Toronto, and you should be able to pull in most of the stations transmitting from the CN tower.
mikecandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2017, 2:24 PM   #25
Eldorado

An update and potentially stupid question

I've decided for this year I will just put the antenna up in the attic and revisit mounting it on the roof in the spring, lots going on this fall including waiting for shingle guys to come and do their job

Doing more testing sitting on the 2nd floor of my house connected my cm7777, pointing the face of the antenna (side with the bows) ~90 degrees compass (Toronto) I pick up the 7 channels I mentioned earlier.. which is odd as they are all in the opposite direction, and even more odd that I was holding the antenna in front of me so I would figure my body would be mostly blocking those signals?

I turn opposite way to face Kitchener ~240 degrees, I get only a couple higher up channels, not CTV from Kitchener

So I'm a bit confused.. why am I seeing what I view as opposite results?

Should I be getting at least a bit of the Toronto stations? I figured with the preamp I should get something even indoors, but signal meter on those stations showed nothing

I was assuming my method would be to point face of antenna approx. 90 degrees compass towards Toronto, add the VHF kit to the back side of it to get Kitchener.. but I seem to be getting it reversed, getting all Kitchener and others by pointing at Toronto

And just to make sure I'm not crazy, the front of a CM4228 IS the side with the bows?

Mine is the old style from 10+ years ago - http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/cm4228.html

The sides are curved in slightly which came like that out of the box, wasn't sure if this should be kept like that or was just from how it was packaged.. but pics I see online seem to show them curved in as well

Also the antenna is slightly bent, as in not absolutely flat, just from being stored in the garage, should I work to flatten it out perfectly and make sure everything is lined up and nice and square?
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2017, 9:30 PM   #26
mikecandu

Hi,

I was just comparing your results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4a5f5ae1e6c

With mine:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a44ebc8e92ed

Even though we are a fairly similar distance from the CN tower (46miles vs 36 for me) our results are quite a bit different. The CN Tower is line of site (LOS) for me and I can literally see the CN Tower from my house (or from a park near my house) but I suspect that's quite a bit different for you.

For you the CN tower is 1 edge so there is some type of obstruction in the way. I also noticed that your Noise Margin is less then 10 and your Signal strength is less then -80 dbm for some of the Toronto stations. With my setup using a DB8e antenna, a rotor, a very good tuner (homerun extend) and a low noise preamp I tend to struggle with stations below that threshold (in south buffalo) for me, although they are over 70 miles away.

I think you'll probably get most of the Toronto stations if you mount your antenna outside, with lots of height, and use a good preamp but some of them might be intermittent depending on tropospheric conditions. Your antenna is good for VHF so you'll probably get CFTO without additional rabbit ears.

You mentioned that your goal was to get local news so you are not doing that bad if the Toronto stations are hit and miss.

Mike
Old 6-Oct-2017, 1:45 PM   #27
Eldorado

Yep, but like I mentioned getting up on the roof this year is seemingly unlikely for me to tackle and will have to wait until the spring

I'm more curious in the results that I observed while testing and aiming the antenna, what looked like opposite results but maybe I'm just interpreting them wrong?
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2017, 2:36 PM   #28
mikecandu

Eldorado

With an 8 bay you can also pick up some signals off the back of your antenna. That may or may not be what your seeing.

Also for me local stations like CHCH and CTV2 I can pick up no matter what direction I point my antenna. I can also pick them up with or without a pre-amplifier. Stations in the lower green like CBC and CBC French I only need to point them in the general vicinity of the CN tower and I'll get them.

It starts to get more difficult once you get into the yellow and red zones. For those stations I need to be quite directional, with a preamp, and that's where a rotor and a good signal meter come in handy.

If your just playing around holding an antenna in a certain direction by hand, indoors, to see what you get, well, I'd just take those results with a grain of salt.

Mike
Old 8-Oct-2017, 10:21 PM   #29
JoeAZ

The "GOOD NEWS" is that with the incentive auction
repack, those all important Buffalo, N.Y. stations
will become much harder to receive. In most cases,
a Canadian station will be adjacent to the Buffalo
station, causing most to not be receivable.......
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote