TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 6-Jul-2013, 9:50 PM   #1
elmo

Aereo

So what do you think about Aereo?

If you aren't familiar with it yet, basically think of it as OTA sent to your connected devices, as a method of receiving your local OTA. Don't want to put up an antenna? Well, for a monthly fee, you can get your locals over the internet.

Here's the wikipedia link about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aereo

There's been a lot of chatter going back and forth about it - network lawyers calling it copyright infringement, network execs threatening to pull out of OTA and go cable/sat only, claims they were owed licensing fees, etc. Courts allowed the service because Aereo provides a farm of antennas, one of which is assigned to you when you use the service; that was key. I'd imagine the threats of pulling out of OTA would be pretty hollow. Plus John McCain told them that if they went subscription only, their license would be revoked and the spectrum reclaimed.

I know a lot of people here will not give up their antenna installs, me included. But for those in bad signal reception situations or renting or otherwise not wanting to deal with it, for a lot less than cable, you can get your local channels. It's an interesting service.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2013, 7:37 PM   #2
Stereocraig

It will be a very sad day for our family, if the stations pull OTA signals.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote