TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2012, 6:25 PM   #1
ronaldw152

Trying to get CBS in Croswell MI

I have a antenna craft HBU-55 on a 50ft tower with a 10ft mast. We have a remote control rotor and a booster not sure of model. The installer is from the area and has been doing installs for over 25 years so he installed the best option available for this area. I am however only able to get the Detroit CBS station 62.1 with a signal strength of the high 40's and low 50's. I realize I am on the extreme fringe but am wondering if I add height to my tower will this make the reception better. Most of the other Detroit stations are in the 60's and 70's. I have tried to get the Flint/Saginaw CBS station but it is even worse. I can even get the Lansing CBS station and the Cadillac CBS station if I turn the antenna but not very well. Detroit is still the best and the one network we watch the most. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Below is my tv fool plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9d16fc865ff
Thanks
Ron
ronaldw152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 1:32 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Using the ZIP code level data, I see some potential improvement is possible if you can increase antenna mounting height. You can run additional TV Fool reports at higher levels and post the results if you would like us to look at the more precise comparison.

Does your current tower put the antenna above tree-top level?

The HBU-55 is a good antenna. However, if I were starting from scratch, I would opt for an Antennas Direct XG-91 which offers roughly 5 dB additional gain. The XG91 is a UHF only antenna, so a high-VHF antenna such as the Antennacraft Y10713 would also be needed (presuming the Fox affiliate, WJBK, real CH-7 is desired).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 2:29 AM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The http://www.antennacraft.net web site shows the HBU55 antenna as having a VHF average gain of 9.3 dB and a UHF average gain of 9.0 dB. The http://www.winegarddirect.com web site shows the HD7698P gain figures as individual channels , averaging those figures as Antennacraft does , shows the average gain of the HD7698P as , VHF 11.5 dB and UHF 13.5 dB. That's 2.2 dB better on VHF and 4.7 dB better on UHF. Plus the HD7698P has better multipath rejection and better front to back ratio.

Last edited by Electron; 11-Jan-2012 at 2:47 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 2:52 AM   #4
Electron

Install a HD7698P antenna and a , Ultra low noise preamplifier http://www.kitztech.com , KT-200-COAX , TV Antenna Booster Remote Power-Coax Fed. In place of and at the same height as the antenna you have now.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 3:01 AM   #5
Electron

The Y10713 VHF only antenna has a average gain 9.4 dB. The HD7698P antenna has a average VHF gain of 11.5 dB. Thats 2.1 dB more gain then the Y10713. And the HD7698P antenna is all one antenna , both VHF high and UHF.