TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jun-2012, 9:44 PM   #1
Kbyrd

No Fox 31 with my antenna

This is my antenna http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...V-antenna.html

And the TVFool map http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349e9e399416c

The antenna is mounted on the corner of the house about 10' high. Do you think if I moved the antenna to the peak of the house about 15' high would I get Fox 31?
Kbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
signals unlimited

The hill towards Fox 31 is causing weak reception From that station.

You may need more than an additional 5 feet. A total of 20-30 feet may work, and/or you could swap your antenna out for a 4 Bay.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Kbyrd

I don't have an additional 20-30'. Would any 4 bay antenna work and would I still get the other local 4, 7, and 9 that I get now?

Last edited by Kbyrd; 5-Jun-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 5-Jun-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
signals unlimited

Any extra height will help, and with a 4bay you may be OK.
Old 5-Jun-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbyrd View Post
I don't have an addition 20-30'. Would any 4 bay antenna work?
A 4-bay antenna has more gain. However, your problem is not lack of gain; your problem is lack of signal. You need to raise your antenna to 20'-30' so that you can receive the strong signal available to you at 20'-30.'

At 10,' the signal is listed as "2Edge." This means that it is scattered at least twice and possibly more from the transmitter to your antenna at 10'. A higher gain antenna will see a higher intensity badly scattered signal. Not to put too fine a point on it, but there is simply no reason to expect you to receive KDVR (RF32) with a 4-bay antenna mounted at 10' you you cannot receive KDVR (RF32) with your ClearStream2™ at 10.' You can, however, expect to have very reliable reception if you raise your antenna above the badly scattered signal area.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 1:02 AM   #6
Kbyrd

Thank you. Would the extra 5' improve the channels I currently get? Or should I just leave it where it is now?
Old 5-Jun-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
signals unlimited

You can easily try 5" . I hear you when you say you dont have the ability to raise the antenna, but have you considered a telescoping mast. You can buy galvinized pipe in two diameters that will fit togather, set them up aginst your home, raise the inside section a little at a time. Use vise grip pliers to stop it at various height. when you find the height that works, drill thru and pin with a grade 8 bolt.
Old 5-Jun-2012, 2:19 PM   #8
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbyrd View Post
Thank you. Would the extra 5' improve the channels I currently get? ...
Redo your TV Fool Radar plot at 15" to see.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 2:45 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your signals from Lookout Mountain are sharply diffracted by Greene Mountain which is in your line of sight. The calculations from the signal analysis are, at best, estimates and there's really no point in wasting computational resources messing with small increments within the simulator since the simulator uses a 100 m square average terrain block size. Your line of sight to LOM is on the side slope of Greene Mountain and precision simply doesn't exist for your situation.

Your best course of action would be to try several different locations for the antenna (don't drill any holes yet) to see if you can find a better location that allows satisfactory reception of all the desired signals. The current location is either a "dead spot" for channel 31 or just happens to be in the path of a strong reflection from something nearby. Moving the antenna by as little as 6-12 inches in any direction might be enough to clear up the problem. The drawback is that what works for one channel's signal might be in a poor location for another, so be prepared to try multiple locations and testing each thoroughly before committing to a drill.

If channels 7, 9, and/or 13 are giving you problems, install the VHF reflector upgrade available at our website (Accessories > Reflectors).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 5-Jun-2012 at 2:55 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Electron

All questions about reception

Install a Antennas Direct , http://antennasdirect.com , VHF reception kit on the CS2 Antenna.

Remove the reflector screen from the CS2 antenna so the UHF reception loops will receive at the front and back of the antenna.

Aim either side of the antenna at about 220 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Move the antenna to the top of the roof.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jun-2012, 4:18 PM   #11
Kbyrd

Thanks for all your replies. We moved the antenna and gained UPN 20 and KWGN 2. Still no FOX 31 and we lost 9. I am considering the VHF reflector. If I were to start all over would you recommend a different antenna for my problems?
Old 11-Jun-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Tv reception and more.

I would recommend the CS2 Complete. <-- notice the word Complete.

The CS2 Complete is the CS2 UHF antenna with the VHF high band reception antenna already mounted to make one antenna.

Remove the reflector screen so the UHF part of the CS2 will receive at the front and back of the antenna.

With the reflector screen removed aimed either side of the antenna at about 220 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote