TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Dan Dippery

Question Connecting OTA coax to existing DISH cabling??? Anyone done it???

Am cutting the cord. Ready to connect rooftop(chimney) antenna to 1) main HDTV and 2)second set in bedroom.
I've read in other forums about connecting the new RG6 run from a rooftop antenna into the DISH "drop???" box (exterior, under actual dish). Or, at the mounting head connected to the actual dish.
I'm trying to escape running extra wiring for the second (bedroom) set...and benefit from what's already there.
It's a long run for the new coax...so I'll probably have to use an amp somewhere along the way.
Any thoughts much appreciated. Dan
Dan Dippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2013, 6:53 AM   #2
mtownsend

The coax is probably compatible, but if there is anything still connected to the network of cables (splitters, multiswitch, power supplies, etc.), you may need to reconfigure them or remove them.

Follow all the cable connections to check for any left-over components from the satellite installation.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2013, 8:24 AM   #3
teleview

Yes you can use the coax that is used to distribute the satellite signals.

You did not say one way or the other if you will be connecting the antenna to a active satellite system.

Some times this can be done and sometimes not.

Dependes on the satellite system hardware that is in place.

If you do not know or understand the connection hardware connections , then get a satellite system installer to evaluate the system hardware.

I recommend that if you are discontinuing satellite service , then discontinue the service and Remove the satellite system hardware , multi switches , di plexers , splitters , and etc..

And then use the coaxes that are in place to distribute the Digital Broadcast Tv Reception to the locations of the Tv receivers.

If you provide your tvfool radar plot report , this will be a big help to evaluate your reception situation and recommend antenna and amplifier and etc. .

If the Broadcast Tv Antenna will be more then 25 feet above ground then use the higher antenna height.

If not then use a 25 feet antenna height to make a tvfool radar plot report with the exact address.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Mar-2013 at 2:27 AM.
Old 12-Mar-2013, 3:49 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

This is a common enough inquiry that I wrote a tech tip a while back to send to folks who contact us directly. It reads:

Replacing satellite service with an antenna

A common question we receive usually reads as follows: “I am dropping my satellite service and would like to switch over to an antenna. Can I use the existing mount and cables from the satellite system with an antenna for digital TV?”

Our answer is “usually, but”.

There are several things to consider:

1) The satellite dish was mounted in a location that gave it an unobstructed view of a certain arc of the southern sky. Usually, this location was selected by the installer so that it would work while allowing him to use the shortest ladder on his truck. Consequently, the physical mounting location of the dish may or may not be in a suitable location for the reception of your local broadcasts. You will need to use a broadcast tower locating tool such as www.antennapoint.com to determine the direction from your location to the local broadcast towers. If the current location of your dish happens to also allow a good, unobstructed view in the directions of those towers, then the mounting location has a chance of being successful with your antenna. On the other hand, if the dish location results in your antenna pointing into trees, your roof, or your neighbor’s house, be prepared to relocate it to a more appropriate location that offers a better path to your broadcast towers.
2) There may be anywhere from one to four (or more!) coaxial cables running from the dish to various locations within your home. The coaxial cable required by the satellite companies is completely compatible with an antenna system, so it can usually be re-used if it is in good condition. You, however, must look through the cables to determine where each goes and to remove any special equipment that the satellite installer may have used such as multi-switches, amplifiers, splitters, and the like.

If you have multiple cables at the dish and you intend to use all of them with your antenna, you may wish to install a 2-, 3, or 4-way splitter at the antenna. If you wish to use a pre-amplifier, select a splitter that offers a port with DC pass-through.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2013, 8:39 PM   #5
Dan Dippery

Smile Cutting Cord...thanks for input

Almost there. Connected RCA ANT751...and ran GR6 to my primary TV. Good OTA signal(from San Francisco).
Next...to bypass the DISH hardware...and link into existing coax to TV#2.
I'm optimistic. Only time will tell if I need amp-preamps along the way.
Thanks to all for input. TVFool has been my primary resurce from the getgo...and still is.
Old 13-Mar-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Dan Dippery

Question Can't get station signal that I should???

Just started receiving almost all the signals from Mt, Sutro Tower (San Francisco, 26 mi away). I'm in Menlo Park, 94025.
But it's that "almost" that stymies me. Can't get Channel 5 KPIX-DT 5.1 which is critical viewing.
A good 2/3rds of the the stations I'm getting come from that one tower (magnet 326)...and I'm getting good, strong signals. But no 5????
Just set up RCA ANT751...on 8' mast, attached to chimney. So it's probably 25'+/=.
I've adjusted direction...307...312. But still no Channel 5.
Any thoughts appreciated. Dan Dippery
Old 14-Mar-2013, 2:08 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Please post a link to your TV Fool report.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Dan Dippery

San Francisco reception problem(CBS). Part 2

Thanks to those who responded to my first post.
1) Here's the TVFool map for my location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddad3877c4440

2) Re: the RCA ANT571. Researched this like mad...and this antenna got the highest marks of any. And it supposedly works for VHF.
So would like any further info as to something better for my site.
Or...would preamp help???
Thanks. Dan

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Mar-2013 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Repaired TVFR link
Old 15-Mar-2013, 5:51 PM   #9
elmo

Well, a 751 would be able to tune those signals around you there, esp LOS and with strong power #'s, both VHF & UHF. Are you going after the towers NW of you? I wouldn't bother with an amp unless you are running very long coax or going to multiple TV's, esp in a strong signal situation. I always suggest trying without an amp, then add it later if necessary, as it's no magic pill for reception.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2013, 6:57 PM   #10
Dan Dippery

Thnx Elmo...
Yes... I am aiming NW at about 312 degrees. I've got an 80' +/- run of coax...so that may be reducing strength of signal.
Wanted to tie into the existing DISH coax rather than going straight to HDTV and via splittler to TV#2.
Friend couple of blocks away gets Chnl 5 (OTA) loud and clear. So not sure what my problem is.
Thnx for your quick response...will continue to try to solve it. Dan
Old 15-Mar-2013, 7:43 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

Thanks for posting your TVFR, the information is essential for understanding your situation.

KPIX is broadcast on UHF CH-29. It is not a VHF signal despite the confusion created by virtual channel numbers. I would expect the ANT-751 to have no trouble with reception of UHF signals 20 to 30 dB lower in level... so, have you tried connecting the antenna to a single TV, no splitters, no amplifiers, no used coax... just the antenna, a known good coax and the TV?

An amplifier should not be needed even if you do an 8-way split... An overloaded amplifier will cause more trouble and not resolve the current problem.
Old 15-Mar-2013, 9:12 PM   #12
Dan Dippery

Not getting Chnl 5-SF

"so, have you tried connecting the antenna to a single TV, no splitters, no amplifiers, no used coax... just the antenna, a known good coax and the TV?"
Hi GroundUrMast (which I am doing, by the way):
Yes...to all of the above. But confess I was so overjoyed by the strong signal I was getting that I don't remember if I got Chnl 5 (don't believe I did).
Will do it again tomorrow. Plus adjusting the compass reading back to 312; I moved it a bit trying to find 5...and lost another.
Thanks for input. Any other thioughts much appreciated. Dan
Old 17-Mar-2013, 1:02 AM   #13
Dan Dippery

Success! Got Channel 5 and much, much more!

Was pilot error: ! wasn't using the channel selector on the HDTV's remote properly. When I finally checked signal strength coming in...there was Channel 5...strong as can be. Caramba!!!
I did get an RCA PreAmp to match the ANT 751. But per your advice...I will hold off until I can see what kind of signal I'm getting all the way around to TV#2. It's 80+ feet from the antenna to the splitter(above the DISH dist.). Then another 92 feet from there into the back bedroom (TV#2). Could I split right at the antenna...and run an exposed coax across the roof to TV#2???
Anyway... I still haven't "cut the cord", but getting there. Thanks to all. Any further advice appreciated. Dan
Old 17-Mar-2013, 1:42 AM   #14
GroundUrMast

When you look at your TV Fool report, the noise margin column is helpful when estimating the amount of cable and splitter loss you can tolerate without needing amplification.

Plan for 6 dB of loss for each 100' of RG-6 cable. A 2-way splitter will have about 4 dB loss.

So, your cable may introduce 10 to 12 dB loss... for a total of 16 dB loss after accounting for the splitter. The modest gain of the antenna offsets a few dB of that loss but ignoring the antenna gain you would still have a net NM of 20 dB or better at TV #2 for all signal in the green section of your report. (Simply subtract the cable and splitter losses from the report NM prediction.) That tells me you'll do just fine with no amplification.

If you're stuck with the amplifier, feel free to try it... I anticipate it will overload, resulting in less reliable reception.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Mar-2013 at 3:24 AM.
Old 17-Mar-2013, 1:52 AM   #15
Dan Dippery

Thanks

Really appreciate the quick response.
Haven 't opened the preamp...so may not be stuck with it. Will see.
Dan