TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception > Connecting with an Installer

Notices

Old 12-Jun-2012, 8:50 AM   #1
Blackbeen

Toledo OH installer needed

Can anyone speak for Ar's & Yours Antenna & Tower Service? they seem to one few available here & are less than a mile away. I'm open to others as well.
Blackbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jun-2012, 9:52 AM   #2
signals unlimited

Before hiring any installer, ask them if they have a spectrum analyzer or field strength meter. If they can't measure the strength of the signal at the antenna, alighnment will hit and miss.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jun-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Blackbeen

Alignment being height, location or both? I think chimney mounting is best to please the landlord & to get the best height so that limits the mounting area a bit, I'm not sure about height. The installer from Ar's is stopping by this morning, I will ask.
Old 21-Jun-2012, 8:04 AM   #4
Blackbeen

Thumbs down

Employees of Ar's & Yours Antenna & Tower Service are cordial (& "seem" helpful) I give them that, but beyond this I couldn't have had a worse experience with an installer. Though the initial meeting with employee #1 (a guy that I take generally is responsible for satellite disk installations) to size up my situation went well, at this point it seemed to just be a song & dance intended to make a sale.
Upon the day of installation (a week or so later), employee #2 shows up between 10:30-45AM of a 9-11AM time slot (fine enough I guess), takes a look at my hardware for install & promptly informs me that he can’t begin work without a written release from my landlord (note: I had talked with Ar's ditzy receptionist who didn’t seem to have even the most rudimentary understanding of antenna installation a good half dozen times during this process & not “once” did she mention this requirement & for the record I had spoken to my landlord regarding this.) so I called my landlord to “absolutely” verify that the install was alright . During this time employee #2 went to his truck to get his ladder that ended up being too short to reach the top of my building (hmmm, it seems employee #1 would have given him this basic info) so he told me he had to return to the shop to pick up the long one (all this on the clock at $80 an hour). The shop is just a half mile away so I “assumed” he would be back shortly but after 45 minutes he was not back & hadn’t called. I called Ar’s to see what was going on & after being put on hold several times the receptionist told me that a second guy was needed to load the ladder who would not be available until late into the afternoon. I work 3rd & sleep in the afternoon, at this point it was 11:30 on a 95 degree day, so this far less than ideal she suggested that the install be rescheduled to the following Monday (present day being Wednesday). I had uninstalled the antenna & all hardware from the prior wall mount to have ready for this install so I was not at all thrilled to: a) reinstall everything until Monday just to do it all over again due to their blunder, or b) have zero TV reception for the duration. I informed her of this more or less & after pleading she said she would see what she could do & call me back, after a half hour she returns call stating that she could get hold of employee #1 to help if I didn’t mind staying up a bit longer (I was hoping ideally to have this wrapped up by 2PM latest), I begrudgingly accepted & at about 12:30PM employee 1,2&3 show up, this time #1 chain smoking & looking like death (so much for the floorshow…). They started unloading & I noticed that #3 tossed a spool of standard rotor cable on the ground. I took note of this & having had a long conversation with the receptionist a few days prior regarding the rotor I have & its requirements for coax NOT (higher priced) rotor cable, I asked if she had passed this on, alas they were clueless & seemed VERY confused by the idea of a rotor being powered this way. I led #1 upstairs to look at the rotor sheet to verify this & after much going back & forth with #2 (who supposedly was an experienced antenna installer of +20 years) accepted this fact & finally got back to work. #2 went to the roof & I stayed with #1 who was working on the wall plate. I heard drilling & was worried as the landlord requested that the chimney would not be drilled into, I was under the assumption that a strap mount was going to be used or at the very least options would be discussed. I went up to the roof & sure enough he had drill installed the cheaper Y-Wall to the chimney mortar, rather disgusted I informed him of my landlords request which upon he just shrugged. I really began having doubts regarding this guy’s ability & started watching over the antenna install like a hawk (a very tired, hot, frustrated one). I asked about grounding of the antenna & he stated that it would/could not be grounded & suggested that an expensive surge protector be used instead.
I had hoped to have used a mast long enough to be a minimum of 2-3’ above the metal cage of the chimney & get above the power lines & the bulk of trees. I had another long conversion with the receptionist prior regarding this & she assured me that she would send out the 5’ AND THE 10’ mast. I asked #2 about this & he stated he was just going to hack saw the 5’ (the only one brought) in half placing it just a few inches above the metal. I called him on this & he stated that “it didn’t matter” as well as the antenna clearance of power lines & trees did not affect reception (I guess you learn this in +20 years on the job “rolls eyes”) , hot & fed up I threw up my hands & stated “we’ll see”. Upon installing the rotor I asked if he had a compass to adjust the direction & “of course” he didn’t TO BOOT he mounted the north rotor arrow due south & it would be that way right now if I hadn’t corrected it.
To draw frustrating fiasco to a close they finished running the cable, oh so professionally affixed to the mast with electrical tape. We went inside to finish the hook up & scan, reception was better but one usually channel (7 Detroit) seemed worse, this was about 3 PM (about 3 hours past my bedtime) & HOT, I just threw down the remote stated that “this is what I paid for”, they diddled around a bit more before giving me the bill, $400! a solid $100 over the estimate, I was very tired & just too fed up to dicker over this so I just paid up, suffice to say for the final time from this establishment.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 21-Jun-2012 at 8:13 AM.
Old 5-Jul-2012, 9:16 AM   #5
Blackbeen

Hashing this out with the BBB

https://toledo.app.bbb.org/complaint...25554/c/699t9x
https://toledo.ebindr.com/complaint/...%20reply%2Epdf

In reference to the installer reply I would like to inquire what the safe height limitations would be for a chimney mount (Y/W-mount Vs. strap), with the
Antennas Direct DB4E (6 pound) antenna with the Eagle Aspen ROTR100 at base?

Last edited by Blackbeen; 5-Jul-2012 at 4:09 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 6:36 AM   #6
Blackbeen

Case Closed

What a headache/time eating waste of time, never again!