TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Oct-2014, 4:06 PM   #1
NIS1169

Reception in San Diego

Hi all. I just recently cut the cord and am trying to get up and running with OTA here in San Diego. The main issue I’m having is I can get some channels when my indoor antenna is positioned one way, and get other channels when positioned a different way.

Here is my current setup:

Mohu leaf 50 with amplifier
Monster 3 way splitter going to:
- Samsung LCD tv
- HDhomerun HDHR4-US
- Mythtv box

I’m only really interested in the major channels:
- ABC
- NBC
- CBS
- FOX
- PBS

Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243978aeeff29

I have tried the antenna without the amplifier, and I can’t get any channels, so I know I need the amplifier.

I have tried positioning the leaf on 3 walls, and found the best position so far is actually in a corner of the house. In this position, get most of my channels but had some real problems picking up NBC. If you look at my report, you can see these 5 channels are in 2 groups that are 140 degrees apart, which is leading to my problem.

I live in a town house where the living space is above the garage, but is part of a complex. I used to have Dish Network, and the dish is still outside. As such, I can probably get away with putting a small antenna in its place. The cable running between the outside and my TV area is about 50 feet long or so.

What I am looking for is advice on how to get all these channels in. Supposedly the Mohu leaf is an omni-directional antenna, but it’s not acting that way. Does anyone have advice on how to position my antenna, or should I get a different one and if so, what do you recommend. Like I said, I can probably get away with a small outdoor antenna and replace my old satellite dish.

Ideally, I’d like a setup where I don’t have to move the antenna as I’m using Mythtv to record shows. If I have to move the antenna, it defeats the purpose of setting up a system that I don’t have to interact with for recordings.

Anyway, thank you all for your help!

John
NIS1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2014, 4:20 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIS1169 View Post
Hi all. I am trying to get up and running with OTA here in San Diego.
You have signals from two directions on both VHF and UHF bands. There is one and only one antenna that's ideal for you, the Winegard HD-1080. When you aim it at the UHF stations the VHF stations will also be optimum because the HD-1080 has better VHF pickup backwards from the UHF lobe, which just happens to be exactly what you need.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-1080.pdf

With an outdoor antenna you can't use a preamp, the signals are too strong.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 1-Oct-2014 at 4:22 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2014, 9:52 PM   #3
NIS1169

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply and the recommendation. I hadn’t even found that antenna.

I was looking at the Winegard MetroStar MS-2002 Omnidirectional antenna. Just for my own understanding, can you please explain why the HD-1080 would be better for me than the MS-2002? Given you above statement, I’m going to go with your recommendation, I'm just trying to understand the pros and cons vs the MS-2002.

Also, I found Solid Signal makes a version of the HD-1080, the HD1080x. According to their blog (http://forums.signalmarine.com/conte...ignal-antennas!) it is made by Winegard, but the cable connection has been improved. Does anyone have any experience with Solid Signal and are they a good brand, or should I just stick with the original Winegard version?

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by NIS1169; 1-Oct-2014 at 9:55 PM.
NIS1169 is offline   Reply With Quote