TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Sep-2011, 2:38 AM   #1
Hawkeye

Helping out a neighbour.

Greetings, what a great site and helpful people! I am trying to help out a friend down the road with her TV.She has rabbit ears with a loop and only gets channel 3 since the change to digital.Here is the report:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f3d75b1bc868. She purchased a cm3000ac, we tried it and no luck...still only one channel.Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Sep-2011, 4:23 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The tv Must Have a 'Broadcast Tv Digital Tuner' also known as a ATSC Tuner , to receive the the Broadcast Tv Digital signals. Is this a older tv?? what is the make and model number?? If the tv does not have a Broadcast Tv Digital Tuner then a converter box is need to receive the digital signals. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380. If the tv is Really Old then it might be best to get a new tv.

Last edited by John Candle; 15-Sep-2011 at 6:21 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Sep-2011, 4:35 AM   #3
John Candle

I think the round antenna will be strong enough to pick CKVR 10 in the pending applications included digital channel list and that will prove if the tv has a tuner to receive the , Broadcast Digital Tv Channels. However I think a better antenna will be needed to receive the rest of the , Broadcast Digital Tv Stations.

Last edited by John Candle; 15-Sep-2011 at 6:23 AM.
Old 15-Sep-2011, 3:03 PM   #4
John Candle

What is the make and model number of the tv and I will research it.
Old 15-Sep-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Hawkeye

Hi John, thank you for the quick reply! The tv is an older version, she purchased the converter box. We hooked it all up as per the directions but still only get the one channel. We tried all the tv's she has...all the same, one channel...3. Ideas?
Old 16-Sep-2011, 6:46 AM   #6
John Candle

The channel that is being received , Is it CKVR , Network A ?? What is the make and model numbers of the tv and converter box??
Old 16-Sep-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Hawkeye

Hi John, I'll have to go over and get that info...give me a day..thanks again.
Old 20-Sep-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Hawkeye

Hi John, sorry for the delay, I had problems connecting with my neighbour. She has 3 tv's, Citizen model JCTV1547, GE 13GP236, and a Zenith that she can't get a model # from. The digital converter box is a GXi International DTA1030D. Thanks so much for your time and knowledge.
Old 20-Sep-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Hawkeye

Oh, and the channel she does get is CTV/CKVR out of Barrie I think.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 4:05 AM   #10
John Candle

Here is the web site for the converter box , http://www.accesshd.tv. The GXi DTA1030D is a Access HD DTA1030D. The owners manuals and connection guide are at and in the web site. The Connections Diagrams are at and in the web site. The antenna is connected to the converter box , not the tv. The converter box will output on channel 3 or 4. If using the RF out , also known as out to tv , on the converter box , to the tv , the tv will be on channel 3 or 4 , Try channel 3 on the tv first and then try channel 4 on the tv. The converter box does ALL of the digital channel selection ,<-- did you notice the word ALL?? The converter box outputs a channel to the tv , 3 or 4 . The tv receives the Channel 3 or 4 signal from the RF output/also known as , out to tv , of the converter box. When you see the digital channels on the tv screen then leave the tv on channel 3 or 4.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Sep-2011 at 4:26 AM.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 4:16 AM   #11
John Candle

An other way to connect the converter box to the tv is video and audio. The tv 'must have' video and audio inputs. You will find the connection diagrams at the AccessHD web site. Remember , when using the converter box to tune in and watch the digital channels , the tv antenna is connected to the RF input/also known as the antenna input of the converter box.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 4:34 AM   #12
John Candle

New Flat Screen Digital Tv's are not much money now days and the prices are going lower. Keeping old analog tv's going with converter boxes and tv repairs will cost more then a new tv. I am not saying that you have to buy a new tv , it is a situation to think about.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 4:46 AM   #13
John Candle

As a test , to provide the highest signal strength from the round antenna , connect only one converter box / tv to the round antenna , No splitters , No couplers , No ground block , No etc.. It will be the round antenna , the coax from the round antenna Direct to the converter box / tv.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Hawkeye

Thank you John. We connected it all up as you said. We tried changing channels with the converter box remote, but no channels were displayed other than the channel 3.It almost seems that the remote doesn't work.The tv top antenna is both vhf and uhf to a coaxial cable, so I cannot just hook up the round antenna on it's own.
Old 22-Sep-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
John Candle

At http://www.channelmasterstore.com , find the CM3000A user manual. Yes I know , figures 3 , 4 , 5 show the power injector connections One connection of the power injector goes to the tv and is labled as such. The point is , just the CM3000A and all of it's connections , connected correctly , the the one converter box and the converter box connected to the tv. No other tv's connected. Come on Now , you are and will have to think it through.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Sep-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 22-Sep-2011, 1:06 AM   #16
Hawkeye

John, I have a mechanical engineering background and know how to read directions. All I can say is that I have followed all the directions given me by the manufacturer of the digital converter box, the antenna. Reading the report, I gather I should receive at least 4 channels. The reason I joined this site is so that knowledgeable persons such as yourself can look at this setup and tell me one of two things, ie: there is nothing wrong with your setup, you should get those channels or, your setup is crap, go and buy this or that. I am grateful for all your help, looks like she just either has a faulty digital converter box, or those signals are just not there. Cheers, Rick.
Old 22-Sep-2011, 1:10 AM   #17
John Candle

If you think the converter box is bad then get an other converter box , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380.. Also get a different antenna to use as a test antenna , it is a simple antenna , it has no power injector or power supply or amplifier. It is a Real Simple antenna , ANT751. Aim the simple ANT751 antenna at about 136 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html Do not use the CM3000A antenna or any part of the CM3000A antenna. It's the ANT751 , the converter box , the tv. And yes coax is required to connect the antenna , the convert box and tv together.