TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates > TV Database Updates

Notices

Old 17-Jun-2010, 6:25 PM   #1
Mathwiz

Channel 29 in DFW (KTXA, KPFW, KNAV)

The FCC's database is a bit of a mess regarding the use of RF channel 29 in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. As a result there are several errors in the TVFool results:
  • KTXA is currently broadcasting on RF channel 18 with 220 kW ERP, while KPFW is broadcasting on RF 29 with 7 kW.
  • KPFW and KTXA are expected to swap RF channels later this year. After the swap KTXA will be on RF 29 with 1000 kW ERP and KPFW will be on RF 18 with 15 kW.
  • KTXA's virtual channel is 21.1 (from their old analog channel) and KPFW's is 18.1 (in anticipation of the upcoming swap).
  • KNAV applied to move to channel 29 before all this was decided, but this will no longer happen. KNAV has extended their construction permit for a digital companion station on RF 12 with 299 watts ERP, and has also applied to flash-cut to digital on RF 22 with 2.5 kW ERP. (The 150 kW analog broadcast on 22 has been off the air for some time, possibly due to interference with KETK in the Tyler/Longview area.)
Mathwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
mtownsend

Thanks for the updates!

I believe this swap between KTXA and KPFW has already happened. I think it took place late last month or early this month. This change is already set to take effect during the next database update cycle.

Do you believe that KNAV is currently on the air on channel 12? It seems like that would conflict with KXII. If anyone can confirm that KNAV-LD is on the air, we can add it to the database. We will remove the defunct analog record in the next update.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2010, 1:04 AM   #3
Mathwiz

I live in DFW & just double-checked. KTXA & KPFW have not yet swapped channels; KTXA is still broadcasting on RF 18 & KPFW is still on RF 29.

At one time the swap was scheduled for this Sept. However, KTXA & sister station KTVT recently applied to modify the construction permits for their permanent facilities. I don't know if this will affect the swap schedule.

I do not believe KNAV is currently broadcasting on either RF 12 or RF 22. (The RF 12 CP does specify a directional antenna that would minimize interference with KXII.)
Old 12-Jan-2011, 9:22 PM   #4
Mathwiz

Finally!

At long last, KTXA (virtual channel 21.1) will move from RF 18 to RF 29 at noon this Friday. KPFW (virtual channel 18.1) will move the opposite direction, from RF 29 to RF 18.
Old 13-Jan-2011, 3:30 PM   #5
mtownsend

Great to hear. Thanks for the update!
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jan-2011, 8:39 PM   #6
Mathwiz

Well, naturally there's been a delay due to the cold and wet weather we've been having: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/t...gnal-strength/

So the switch hasn't happened just yet, but should happen "real soon now."