TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Oct-2012, 2:49 PM   #1
Merle

Another antenna suggestions ?

Good morning!
Like so many others I want to "cut the cable". That led me to this site and to antennaweb.org to try to determine which type antenna I need. Tvfool indicates that a set top antenna is adequate while antennaweb suggests a large directional with pre-amp is required. I have read that antennaweb is very conservative, but I am confused by the huge discrepancy.

My site is in the "shadow" of a ridge that is between me and the primary group of transmitters that are 13.6 to 13.8 miles from me. I estimate that I am about 50 feet below having line of sight to these transmitters. I do not need to get anything from further away.

Here is the tvfool link for my location. So, which type antenna do I need and please suggest preferred manufacturers and models.

TIA!

Last edited by Merle; 5-Oct-2012 at 3:23 PM.
Merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2012, 5:42 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your TV Fool Report shows a very favorable outlook, with no obstructions between you and the transmitters, most of which are apparently on much higher terrain. Your report indicates 'Line of Sight' for most signals.

If the posted report is accurate, a small antenna such as the RCA ANT-751 or Antennacraft HBU-22 is plenty. You have enough signal power to drive several TVs.

Point the antenna toward 310° to start, adjust in small steps, left and right to be sure you have the best aim point.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2012, 9:07 PM   #3
teleview

Many Tv stations/channels will be received.

Install a ANT751 antenna with no antenna amplifier above the roof aimed at about 310 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

http://www.solidsignal.com , has a ANT751 antenna with a J type antenna mount , low dollars.

For 1 Tv connection use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a common simple 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a common simple 4 way splitter.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Antenna web and Antenna point , are defective web sites that are misleading many people with bad information. The web sites are defective now for a Long Time , the owners know that they are defective , and do not fix them and do not take them down.

A very sad and defective situation for those that are being mislead with bad information.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Oct-2012 at 9:18 PM.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 1:22 AM   #4
Merle

Thank you for the responses. Since you each suggested a rooftop antenna, I guess that is the way I should go. We do have high winds here in the East Mountains outside Albuquerque, especially in March. Would either of these models be any better or worse in that situation? I like the ANT751 because the included J mount would make installation easy on the roof parapet, but wonder is that will survive 50+mph winds. Could a mast be added to the J mount for a little extra elevation?
Old 6-Oct-2012, 1:46 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Both antennas are relatively compact, with a small wind load. A securely installed J-pole should be stressed less when carrying one of these antennas than a satellite dish. One thing to watch out for though, avoid pointing the antenna into the roof. Satellite installs are often on the south side of the building so there's a clear view of the satellite which is south of everyone in the northern hemisphere. You need to aim NW for reception of the TV signals so you might have a roof or other part of the building in the way.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2012, 2:54 AM   #6
teleview

The wind load of either antenna is very close to zero.

As I stated before , it is best to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception , and that includes your own house.
Old 6-Oct-2012, 7:12 PM   #7
Merle

Thanks, again. Now I just have to figure out how I want to run the coaxial cable from the roof to the TV.