Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Aug-2010, 8:58 PM   #1
46f3

Antenna recommendation?

Zipcode 27513

TV fool info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe5c423628af

I'm 17.6 miles from most stations. I live in a 3rd floor condo. Lowest signal strength using the HD homerun tuner is 73%, but signal quality <50% (in other words, no channel). This is for the signal vhf channel I would want to get (ABC).

Tried some combined uhf/vhf indoor antennas (rabbits ears with a ring) and it's ok, but I could do better.

Outdoor antenna is not possible. I can approximate an attic antenna, we have
cathedral ceilings. So my thought process is to put a attic style or however big I can go in the bedroom up high. Total feet above ground level is probably ~30 feet. The antenna would be near the ceiling, so hopefully I'll get lucky and get some stronger signals.

Reason I choose the bedroom location is potentially one less wall to go through, and I don't care if there is a big antenna mounted up near the ceiling. And I know technically it's not the attic, but it is the top floor with a cathedral ceiling mounted up high near the celing so that has to be close, right?

I would like to split the signal to the bedroom tv, and also run about 50 feet of cable to the living room tv and computer (in other words, another split in the living room so I can watch tv and use the HTPC setup to record).

So I guess a combined high vhf/uhf attic antenna would meet my needs? There is another ABC affiliate about 57 miles away in a different direction that is on UHF, and actually picks in the bedroom, so I suppose it's possible I could just use that affiliate instead, but it may mean having to rotate the antenna at times. I figure it would be easier to have one antenna as opposed to having to rotate and I guess rescan.

So really, what's a good uhf/high vhf antenna for inside for this mileage?

Or would I be better off with just a uhf antenna and a rotator?

Is there such a thing as too big?

And will I need a preamp because I am splitting the signal multiple times? (1st split in the bedroom, then an additional split in the living room~ 50 feet of cable away from the first split)

Last edited by 46f3; 2-Aug-2010 at 9:17 PM. Reason: link updated
46f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2010, 9:00 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Your link is not working.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2010, 9:17 PM   #3
46f3

Link fixed.
Old 2-Aug-2010, 9:33 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46f3 View Post
So really, what's a good uhf/high vhf antenna for inside for this mileage?
This one might be good enough: http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...v_Antenna.html

Yet you've got a problem with PBS, it's in another direction. Univision is also in a unique azimuth (if you care about Spanish programming).
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
46f3

Don't need spanish tv.

There is another ABC affiliate in the same direction as the PBS station (although further away).

Guess if it doesn't come in I could always rotate and rescan.

In the bedroom, where I will put the antenna, PBS comes in with the antenna facing the wrong way (pointing ~131 degrees by compass)
Old 2-Aug-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
46f3

On two different forums I have rec for the above mentioned EZ-HD antenna and this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Out.../dp/B0024R4B5C

Which looks quite similar!

I'm leaning towards the EZ-HD antenna just because I support small business. I think I'll try to rig it up so I can just swing it in the other direction if need be.

Thanks for the suggestion!