TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jun-2015, 8:53 PM   #1
Jea1972

Antenna conversion assistance

I am located in Hendersonville,TN a suburb North of Nashville looking to get rid of cable TV and would like any assistance in converting to an OTA antenna.

Here are some of the details.

1. Currently have Comcast cable TV, internet and telephone. Looking to cancel the cable TV and landline phone and keep the internet.

2. Have 4 TV's currently that have cable wired to them. Would like to hook up 1 antenna to service all 4 TV's. Is this possible using the existing coaxial cable?

3. Have vinyl sided house that faces West. 1 story house with bonus room above garage. Attic accessible through door in bonus room.

Here's my TVFool report. I used the interactive map to get an accurate location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8230646c6d60eb

Would like to install antenna in attic as opposed to roof if possible.

Not sure if I can install antenna or if I should leave it to a professional installer.

Looking at RCA ANT751 antenna as a possible choice but am open to any suggestions/roccemendations.

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Jea1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
mikelessard
No Pixels at All

For the money the HD7694P Platinum HD Series Antenna is a much better value and better antenna. It's not too big and will do a better job bringing in the weaker stations. I learned the hard way too big is better than not big enough.
mikelessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2015, 1:42 PM   #3
Jea1972

Thanks for the follow up and antenna recommendation.

I would certainly appreciate any other advise/suggestions.
Old 17-Jun-2015, 2:01 PM   #4
mikelessard
No Pixels at All

By the way that's a Winegard antenna.
Old 17-Jun-2015, 2:39 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Would like to hook up 1 antenna to service all 4 TV's. Is this possible using the existing coaxial cable?
Yes, but....

Since you are planning on keeping internet service, that means that part of the existing coaxial cable MUST remain solely dedicated to that signal coming from Comcast. You cannot "share" any section of coax between the cable-provided signal and antenna signals as they use overlapping frequencies and there will be interference between the two. Therefore, you need to segregate off that cable-specific part of the cabling and ensure that the type types of signals stay on separate coax cables.

Quote:
Have vinyl sided house that faces West. 1 story house with bonus room above garage. Attic accessible through door in bonus room.
The biggest "gotcha" in antenna installs, after antenna selection, is the mounting site selection. If the immediate signal path in front of the antenna includes obstacles such as a taller home or trees, reliable reception forecasts get tossed out the window. Do whatever is possible to put the antenna where it has the best possible path for the signal to get to the antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2015, 8:54 PM   #6
mikelessard
No Pixels at All

Put the antenna outside for best possible performance in any weather. I would drive a 5' section of mast into the ground and enough mast to get it above the roof line. Attach it to the facia with brackets. Ground the mast to the house's electrical system with #8 wire and use a good surge protector with coax connections.
Old 21-Jun-2015, 12:15 AM   #7
Jea1972

[QUOTE=ADTech;51698]Yes, but....

Since you are planning on keeping internet service, that means that part of the existing coaxial cable MUST remain solely dedicated to that signal coming from Comcast. You cannot "share" any section of coax between the cable-provided signal and antenna signals as they use overlapping frequencies and there will be interference between the two. Therefore, you need to segregate off that cable-specific part of the cabling and ensure that the type types of signals stay on separate coax cables.

I traced out and labeled each cord based on instructions on on a separate thread. All of my coaxs go to TV sets. On one wall outlet a single coax comes out to a splitter. One coax then feeds to the TV the other coax feeds into the modem. How can I dedicate a single coax just to my Internet service so I can use the other coaxs independently for my antenna?

Thanks again or all of your assistance and suggestions.
Old 21-Jun-2015, 12:26 AM   #8
mikelessard
No Pixels at All

Disconnect the Comcast feed and line to the cable modem from the splitter and join them with a barrel connector (cable coupling). Then connect the antenna feed to the splitter input to feed the TVs. You have to keep both systems separate.